DIR in Arizona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AzAtty once bubbled...
One of the reasons I'm not ringing up the folks in LA or SD right now is because DIR-F is changing to a c-card course. That said, I'm willing to try to set up a class whenever, depending upon the consensus of the interested parties, and depending upon whether we can get the minimum number of people to show up. The minimum, as I understand it, is four people. Maximum is 6 people per instructor.

If you want help setting up a class PM me and I'll help. I'd love to come to Arizona so let me know how I can help..

THanks

And now Brandon is beating me to the punch after I mentioned it to him

I wasn't trying to imply a DIRF course in Arizona actually I had PM'd UP on some set up configs and he thought it would be good idea to try and find someone with the same interest I had and the same gear which I thought was a good idea so I posted. But as it turns out I may have got the ball rolling on a DIRF class here in arizona. I really don't care if they offer a card or whatever I just want to learn. I apologize if I screwed anything up AzAtty.

Brandon

... there doesn't appear to be any mentors in Arizona. However if you are willing to move up here to the PNW I will gladly hook you up!

AzAtty,

I am on the staff at Scuba Specialties (west-side)...well I think I'm still one of their instructors. I just noticed that my picture is gone from the team page on the web site...http://www.scubaspecialties.com/

We also have a place on the east-side...it used to be The Reef.

No, we are not Halyon dealers. I thought that I had it in the bag but it didn't happen.

Anyway, I have discussed hosting a class with the owner and he seemed very excited about it. But that was before DEMA and I'm not sure how how feels about it now.

SA

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
... there doesn't appear to be any mentors in Arizona. However if you are willing to move up here to the PNW I will gladly hook you up!

Well, of course, you're right UP.

But I dive DIR...hmm...well, sorta. Nope, no formal training. Self taught and probably with many misunderstandings. But, BS, if you are just looking for someone with an interest and some experience/knowledge in DIR then perhaps we can get together. I've got all the gear you could ever want to try...oops, don't have a Helios can.... well not yet, anyway.

SA

Well, when I went out to the only Halcyon shop in Phoenix, looking specifically for Halcyon, they really pushed me toward Deep Outdoors. They have a strong relationship with DO, apparently.

When I inquired about mating a DO harness with a Halcyon wing, the price jumped through the roof--the quote was around $1,000.00, as opposed to around $400.00 for the DO system. Oh, but it included a STA. Yippie. Maybe that little story will help you land a Halcyon dealership.

I'd suggest floating the DIR-F idea again and see what your shop says. Halcyon isn't stupid, and they could certainly see the benefit of granting a dealership to the shop that sponsors GUE courses in an untapped market. Not to mention the coup of converting a PADI shop. :)

Regardless, it's still something we can do even without a sponsoring shop. I'll get the ball rolling with MHK and keep you updated.

AzAtty once bubbled...
Well, when I went out to the only Halcyon shop in Phoenix, looking specifically for Halcyon, they really pushed me toward Deep Outdoors. They have a strong relationship with DO, apparently.

When I inquired about mating a DO harness with a Halcyon wing, the price jumped through the roof--the quote was around $1,000.00, as opposed to around $400.00 for the DO system. Oh, but it included a STA. Yippie. Maybe that little story will help you land a Halcyon dealership.

I'd suggest floating the DIR-F idea again and see what your shop says. Halcyon isn't stupid, and they could certainly see the benefit of granting a dealership to the shop that sponsors GUE courses in an untapped market. Not to mention the coup of converting a PADI shop. :)

Regardless, it's still something we can do even without a sponsoring shop. I'll get the ball rolling with MHK and keep you updated.

As far as I know, the only Halcyon dealership is the one near the freeway. If so, then that was PART of the problem...they ARE pretty close to us. I thought we had that problem resolved but...not. I was my idea, as well, to get my facility to sponsor a DIRF in hopes of smoothing out what I perceive as a communication problem.

SA

starting to have visions of getting my gear ripped on lol. I think this is a great idea guys, especially if we can get it done before it warms up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom