DIR Logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation once bubbled...
For me, the narrative is as important as the dive
... you're a Scribe. :wink:

Me... I'm an Anecdotalist. :D

On a recent trip, I was the ONLY one with a log. I was pretty blown away.
Yeah...you wrote all that stuff down... but then you didn't use any of it in a story here on Scuba Board!

Yeah, that was me in the bow, scratching that stuff down, while a certian Great White Norther was, well, not so great, and quite a bit green.

:D

I really do owe a trip report. Soon. Promise.

K

I got loose leaf log book pages from PADI. Had to buy my own mini 3 ring binder from an office supply store f/ them. I've been told I should laminate the pages so they don't get wet (ruined) but I haven't had the time, money or ambition to do it.
I used to write great detail about the dives. Now I've gotten lazy & have been putting in the bare facts. Time in & out, SI, starting & ending PSI. Looking back, it's hard to remember the dive w/ out alot of details.

but then again, my entire damn LIFE is on the computer in one form or another :)

If you do it that way, however, make very sure you have a solid backup system in place with KNOWN archival quality.

I do keep track of weighting, any gear config changes, gas consumption and the profile, along with anything of note.

printed them on a simple paper and put into a PADI style binder. Never had an issue with it getting wet. My logbook always goes into a dry spot on a boat and if there is not a dry spot - it stays ashore

The pages change as i progress in my training - now i have space to note all the gasses and write my deco schedules, outline of the dive plan, etc

I also write detailed descriptions of my dives, especialyl tranning ones - helps me to remember what did i do wrong, how did i fixed that , etc.

Safe dives

Vlada

I found some logpage somebody posted to SB actually...then modified it to what I wanted. I print those out, punch them with a 3 hole punch, and keep them in my red PADI logbook. I got tired of paying for PADI refills and I got tired of that big picture of the dive profile wanting all sorts of information I didn't know or care about taking up all the valuable space.

I don't do them 2 sided, so if the dive is really great (or a total CF :wink: ), I have room all over the back to write down what happened and my thoughts on it.

I also have one of Jamiei's sunnto interfaces and I download the profiles from my vyper. I don't enter much into the suunto program because I personally don't care for it - just dive site, buddies, etc.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Yeah, that was me in the bow, scratching that stuff down, while a certian Great White Norther was, well, not so great, and quite a bit green.

:D

I really do owe a trip report. Soon. Promise.

K

I resemble that comment...sheesh...go away on business for a few days and look what happens...

*NOTE* It is MUCH more important on all early morning dives which involve long car rides, border crossings and 4:30AM wake-up calls to ensure that you are fully caffeinated prior to boarding the boat. If you are one who does not function without a full pot of coffee in your system, remember...that's what a p-valve is for! The excruciatingly painful withdrawl symptoms which result from said lack of caffeine when combine with diesel fumes and boat motion make for an unpleasant SI...so...DON'T FEAR THE BEAN!*NOTE*:eek:ut:

I'm down to my last dive log page...next step?...Excel spreadsheets with the information I care about. Couldn't care less about "M group diver down to C group diver" (aside...it's funny...if I use the PADI recreational dive planner "as per instructions" it indicates that I should still be in a chamber...but that's another topic.)

Start tank pressure, end pressure, SAC calculations, max depth, average depth, time, profile notes, water temp, visibility, gear adjustments, dive team, drill notes, mistakes made/things to work on and really cool stuff I saw.

Put down another request for a dive report...perhaps day 2?

1) Jot the basics in WetNotes before/after each dive, carry in pocket during dives in case I need to "chat" with buddy or jot down things seen during dive.

2) Transfer info from WetNotes to traditional log book in small binder with c-cards that goes with me on travels.

3) Carry a SensusPro depth/time/temp datalogger in my pocket during dives. Then download to PC, add details, and print out for future reference.

4) I still carry my Uwatech dive computer so I can download the dive profiles for future reference. I don't look at the NDL info, use it like has a gauge mode. I can enter the basics from wetnotes into the electronic logbook on my PC. Then, I print out and put in binder. I now have a bottom timer as my primary depth/time gauge.

I did not like any of the dive logs you can buy from others. I made my own pages, went to Kinko and had 200 pages printed. I can log five dives per page.

The, I bought one of those nice three ring zipper binders that have a dive flag LOGO but NO names on it. Put my name on the Dive Fflag Logo and it works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom