DIR pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you wear them over a black suit, honestly, they are almost unnoticeable. I've had people do a double-take when they realize I have something on over my dry suit.

The preferred option is absolutely glued on. Secure, won't forget, not an extra part of gearing up, etc.

Of the separate pocket option, the x-shorts are the best. We've used x-shorts with much success while cave diving in a wetsuit as well as on tropical vacations.

Gun slinger pockets have a tendency to move and slide in the water. This makes removing and replacing items in the pocket more difficult than it needs to be. They also may hang lower on the body than you prefer.

Highland makes a 2mm Neprene short w/Pockets....basically an alternative to X-Shorts.

I've never used them, so I can't really comment on them.
If you'd like to explore this option, here's a link to one online e-tailer that carries them.

I rock the Halcyon Exploration Bellow Pockets on my dry suit. I love them ... they're nice and roomy, solidly constructed, have integrated shock-cord loops, zippered enclosures on flaps for small items, and a internal pocket to stow wet-notes. They're like the Swiss army knife of pockets :)

Another vote for x-shorts style pockets. For people who switch between suits it gives nice modularity. It is easy to remember to pack the "pocket gear" by just drying it attached to the inner loops of the pockets, that way you only need to remember one bundle of stuff :)

If you're going to glue your pockets on (as opposed to having them sewn on), you might prefer the larger backing of the DSS pocket.

The large Haclyon pocket, though, is quite nice (roomy, lots of nice little touches like different compartments, sewn in bungee loops, etc).

If you're going to glue your pockets on (as opposed to having them sewn on), you might prefer the larger backing of the DSS pocket.

The large Haclyon pocket, though, is quite nice (roomy, lots of nice little touches like different compartments, sewn in bungee loops, etc).

I am getting the large H pockets, should i sew them on to my wetsuit or glue them on?

I glued my H pocket on to my neo dry suit. It's held perfectly for the past two years. That said, if you're concerned about it sticking or just don't want to bother with gluing it, take it to a cobbler and have him do it. Shouldn't cost you but a few dollars and it will stay quite nicely.

I am not DIR, but I've glued a lot of pockets on neoprene.

What you need:
Chalk, vinyl floor roller, 1 1/2" blue masking tape, stiff cardboard, heavy books/weights and neoprene cement like Mcnetts with a brush. (and a couple of pockets of course.)

Don't do this outside if it is humid.

Put on your wetsuit. Position the pockets comfortably on the thighs so your finger tips reach the bottom without your having to hunch over.

Have someone draw the outline of the pockets with the chalk. Remove the wetsuit and cut the cardboard to fit inside the legs so the suit stretches and the pockets will fit inside the lines. Place on a hard flat surface.

Tape off the lines with the painters' tape, being certain the pockets still fit inside the taped area.

Now, use your brush to put a healthy 1 " bead on the suit inside the chalk/tape line and a 1 " wide bead around the perimeter of the pocket. The first time through the neoprene will soak it up. Let them sit (remember, dry air) for about 10 minutes. apply the cement again wait 10 more minutes. Do it a third time and wait 10 minutes.

At this point, the pockets and the suit will want to suck together.

Apply the pocket to the suit inside the lines (be careful which way is up )and roll with the floor roller. Stack the books on the pocket. I use a large dictionary then put free weights on the book. Allow to cure for at least 24 hours. Remove the blue tape and you're done.

Buy the cement by the can. Have at least a 4 oz can on hand for each pocket. Don't want to run short.

Only do one pocket at a time.

OK.....I'll bite......

So pockets are important........as I have said before a benefit of a BCD.......

If you are DIR and diving in warm water with a BP/W, I assume you use little if any weight and if you use any it is on a weight belt.......

So why not add these pockets to your BP/W waist strap?

BC Accessory Pockets by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

No x-shorts, they stay on the BP/W and keep you streamlined.........

I have them on my BP/W and they seem to work great.....at least for me.....:D

Just asking.......M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom