DIR pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These days, I'd probably just take my DS to warm waters (I hate being cold). It has pockets. On my 3mm suit, though, I just glued on a single $15 pocket. For easy recreational dives, that was more than enough to hold my gear. I also have x-shorts I could use (bought when they were only $20 on Ebay, so a better deal than the current prices).

I really think I'd find a harness pocket like the one you linked annoying. Just looks like it'd move around and be harder to access. That said, I haven't used one, so who knows. Pockets, though, can be had for pretty cheap.

OK.....I'll bite......

So pockets are important........as I have said before a benefit of a BCD.......

If you are DIR and diving in warm water with a BP/W, I assume you use little if any weight and if you use any it is on a weight belt.......

So why not add these pockets to your BP/W waist strap?

BC Accessory Pockets by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

No x-shorts, they stay on the BP/W and keep you streamlined.........

I have them on my BP/W and they seem to work great.....at least for me.....:D

Just asking.......M

The D-rings hold them perfectly in place - pushed up against the BP and as far as acces.......yes thigh pockets are a bit easier as there are lower in front.......

But in a wetsuit, not an issue.......

M

OK, I said I'm not "DIR". I probably should have said I'm not GUE trained.

Pockets on a waist strap IMO are awkward and unwieldy. Particularly when gearing up. They can also conflict with a can light or stage and pony bottles. In the water, it is much easier to access a thigh pocket than a waist pocket. If for some reason you ditch your rig, you still have your pockets and the stuff in them.

OK.....I'll bite......

So pockets are important........as I have said before a benefit of a BCD.......

If you are DIR and diving in warm water with a BP/W, I assume you use little if any weight and if you use any it is on a weight belt.......

So why not add these pockets to your BP/W waist strap?

BC Accessory Pockets by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

No x-shorts, they stay on the BP/W and keep you streamlined.........

I have them on my BP/W and they seem to work great.....at least for me.....:D

Just asking.......M

The large Haclyon pocket, though, is quite nice (roomy, lots of nice little touches like different compartments, sewn in bungee loops, etc).

Those pockets look "huge" ... nice additional features ... but huge. The "footprint" is about the size of letterhead paper. You don't find those to be too big on your thighs?

Thanks,

Henrik

yeah - thigh pockets are easier access.....

Gearing up is not an issue....the pockets just flop to side when you get in rig.....it is more work to pull the crotch strap up and thread it......

I don't carry a can light when diving warm water.......but I could put one on between the pocket than plate if I needed to.......

The key advantage is that they are "BP/W integrated" and I can bring multiple wet suits and the rig stays the same.....

As far a ditching the rig under water I don't think I would, if I were floating on the surface for an extended period I might drop the tank, reg and weights but keep the BP/W.........

M

YMMV, but I have 2 BPW set ups. I have had 4 all told, and have tried as many pockets on them. Both storage and weight.

Added weight I prefer a belt. Storage I prefer thigh pockets attached to my exposure suits. All my suits have pockets.

I do occasionally dive in the Keys or the Bahamas with board shorts and a rash guard. For those days I have split pants.

yeah - thigh pockets are easier access.....

Gearing up is not an issue....the pockets just flop to side when you get in rig.....it is more work to pull the crotch strap up and thread it......

I don't carry a can light when diving warm water.......but I could put one on between the pocket than plate if I needed to.......

The key advantage is that they are "BP/W integrated" and I can bring multiple wet suits and the rig stays the same.....

As far a ditching the rig under water I don't think I would, if I were floating on the surface for an extended period I might drop the tank, reg and weights but keep the BP/W.........

M

Attachments

• splitpants 002.JPG
    splitpants 002.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 90
do occasionally dive in the Keys or the Bahamas with board shorts and a rash guard. For those days I have split pants.

Split pants?

Home made "x-shorts"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom