DIR pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not at all. Often, I wish I had even *more* room. :)

Thanks Rainer. I guess Nature (and divers) abhor a vacuum - right :wink:

Henrik

If you wear them over a black suit, honestly, they are almost unnoticeable. I've had people do a double-take when they realize I have something on over my dry suit.

What are the buoyancy characteristics of the xshorts? I havent been able to find that (in my meager searches) and I thought you might know.

What are the buoyancy characteristics of the xshorts? I havent been able to find that (in my meager searches) and I thought you might know.

Insignificant.

maybe 1/4 lb

Hmmm, I went to a local sewing dude (my vocabulary has deserted me - there is a name for these types of people, I'm sure of it) a while back and he has said he can rivet my detachable thigh pocket onto my 5mm. Any thoughts on this approach (riveting)? My only concern is that it could make the wet suit leak.

I'm getting it done this week (assuming he can reassure me that it won't leak or can show me the rivets in another setting from which I can decide whether it's likely to make it leak).

For reasons I can't recall now he said he couldn't stitch (or was it glue?) the pocket onto the neoprene.

edit: have remembered what those sewing dudes people are called - tailors, I believe :)

J

Not sure rivets is the right approach ...? "Point" attachment in a material that is prone to ripping from holes ... I wouldn't.

It takes a bit of time, but really isn't that difficult. There are nice write-ups here on SB. Use black neoprene cement, and use masking tape along the edges of where you're glueing to keep it neat. I say do it yourself :)

Henrik

Hmmm, I went to a local sewing dude (my vocabulary has deserted me - there is a name for these types of people, I'm sure of it) a while back and he has said he can rivet my detachable thigh pocket onto my 5mm. Any thoughts on this approach (riveting)? My only concern is that it could make the wet suit leak.

I'm getting it done this week (assuming he can reassure me that it won't leak or can show me the rivets in another setting from which I can decide whether it's likely to make it leak).

For reasons I can't recall now he said he couldn't stitch (or was it glue?) the pocket onto the neoprene.

edit: have remembered what those sewing dudes people are called - tailors, I believe :)

J

Try a cobbler (aka shoe repairman). They have machines and needles that can sew through leather...and your wetsuit :)

Another thing is that the typical rivet ends up with a hole in the middle once it's installed (although there are those that don't). I would also be concerned about tear out. I would prefer gluing (or maybe sewing) over rivets.

Second the recommendation for a shoe repair place for sewing the pockets on. Tailors aren't properly equipped to sew through stuff that thick.

Any links to the neoprene cement glue? Happy to do it myself as long as I have the correct materials.

I did think the rivet solution was sub optimal but the guy (who I went to as he's the I only guy round here that can stitch thru leather) said he could stitch or glue it. Can't remember reason he gave.

Thanks guys,
J

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom