DIR principles applied to OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"......Believe it or not, DIR diving fits neatly into those philosophical principles. I will refrain from calling them religion because that is an issue open for debate. The ideals of causing no harm to the surroundings, the ideas of minimalism, the ideas of self-sufficiency, and self-awareness apply directly. These are principles I live by and I see the DIR style of preparation, and application as simply an extension of the principles by which I live the rest of my life......."

Hi , having certified in the late 1980's (Naui Advanced) and then not having much time or money to dive after 1993 , I had a lay off period in diving till 2004.
Restarted and have since completed wreck and nitrox , rescue diver certification.

I am now looking at technical diving certification. I believe that one should take diving in the correct frame of mind and plan / equip yourself as regards to self awareness and self sufficiency. Always bear in mind your best source of rescue is yourself and later the form of your diving buddy. Always dive within the conditions of your training and dont exceed it. (Plan your dive and dive your plan)

Regards

PerroneFord:
I'd like to address this, as it might help some others down the road.

I was 25 when I certified. I was a working computer professional (male). I watched underwater shows as a boy like many others and had a fascination with aquatic exploration. I passed the dives hop weekly, and one day decided, what the hell. I had the money and motivation, so I took the class.

I've since moved on in my career where that is no longer an issue, but as I approach 40, my fitness has fallen away, and I have been reluctant to pull that dive gear out for a number of reasons.

What are you planning as a formal refresher? My instructor and I'm sure many here would suggest starting at the beginning even though you should be a quick study, there's no telling where the gaps are after that much time. Since it sounds like you never had the chance to dive a lot and become proficient this seems even more important. Forgive me if I missed this in one of your posts.

Other than that I like your thoughts abut embaracing a more formal diving discpline, I've had thoughts along those lines.

Pete

A really interesting thread. Others have commented on the holistic nature of the DIR approach to diving. I’d like to speak to a common misperception that DIR diving is only done in doubles and stage bottles; by those who dive only deep wrecks and caves. Actually the DIR style is absolutely appropriate on shallow, well-lit warm, water reefs… in nothing more than exposure protection and with singles. What makes the system powerful is that the pieces of gear and the approach to diving work well in a wide variety of environments.

And yes if you are at 40 feet under the boat stay down beyond the rule of 1/3’s. DIR diving is actually about having a great time underwater… enjoying the dive. The principles, practice, team consciousness, gearing, situational awareness, buoyancy control and trim all contribute to fun. The comfort and confidence in the water that flows from a dialed in DIR style means enjoying the dive rather than struggling with your gear, or dealing with a whack job for a dive buddy, or spending emotional and cognitive energy wrestling with your own doubts about the dive.

I think that as an O/W diver interested in diving DIR recreationally your major challenge will be to find buddies (team members) who are willing to go along with you in this style. My experience is that the typical recreational diver is less concerned about becoming a better diver and in thinking about his or her diving than the people on this board.

PerroneFord:
I'd like to address this, as it might help some others down the road.

I was 25 when I certified. I was a working computer professional (male). I watched underwater shows as a boy like many others and had a fascination with aquatic exploration. I passed the dives hop weekly, and one day decided, what the hell. I had the money and motivation, so I took the class.

Unfortunately for me, I was fairly new in my career. I got assigned a new job and had different responsibilities, and unfortnately spent many years being "on-call" for weekends meaning that I had to be within 2 response hours with a laptop. I've since moved on in my career where that is no longer an issue, but as I approach 40, my fitness has fallen away, and I have been reluctant to pull that dive gear out for a number of reasons. Family commitments, time commitments, etc. As I have recently spilt from my ex, I have a lot more time (and money) on my hands, and after thumbing through a dive magazine last month, I decided to pick the sport back up.

I realize most people who will post here will not share my life philosophies. I tend to follow a mix of Taoist and Zen philosophies. Believe it or not, DIR diving fits neatly into those philosophical principles. I will refrain from calling them religion because that is an issue open for debate. The ideals of causing no harm to the surroundings, the ideas of minimalism, the ideas of self-sufficiency, and self-awareness apply directly. These are principles I live by and I see the DIR style of preparation, and application as simply an extension of the principles by which I live the rest of my life.

I've spent dozens of hours reading about this style of diving, and the more I read, the more I am drawn to it. Unlike some, I am not a sheep. I eschew the "latest thing" and technology for technology's sake. I began college as a Mech. Engineering major. A discipline in which you are taught to question EVERYTHING and take nothing for granted. Nothing is proven until you can demonstrate it repeatedly.

As a person with only a few logged dives, I tend to try to absorb information from any number of sources. When a group of divers engages in risky overhead diving, and pushes the envelope as much as the WKPP divers did, clearly they gain knowlege beyond the casual diver, even the normal cave diver. The environment dictates procedures that produce repeatable results in order to stay alive. And I don't know about you, but when someone with 5k to 10k dives says, "Hey this is what worked for me, here is why, and here is how you can stay alive like I did", I make time to listen. I realize that in our sport, there are a number of people who know everything already. Those are not the people I wish to learn from. It's those who are seeking knowlege every time they hit the water that I want to associate myself with.

So my apologies if I seem a caricature to you Mr McGuinness. I suspect that I will not be a diver you'll choose to buddy with and that's ok. In the meantime, I will seek to become the very best diver I can, using the most expedient means available to me. A growing number of divers choose to do the same.

1000 years ago the earth was flat, 100 years ago man could not fly, 50 years ago man could not adequately explore the ocean, and 15 years ago no one breathed a 7ft hose. What is "right" and what is "true" is about where you stand in history.
Beautifully said! Thank you.
Come on up to Pacific NW - I'll dive with you anytime.
Out here there is a fairly large group of DIR trained divers that just dive recreationally. Many of us dive single tanks and stay in NDL. Most of our dives are fun dives, but every now and again it's great to throw in a skills dive to stay honest. Alot of us are working on taking further classes not only so we can become better divers, but also to challenge ourselves in a safe and educated way.

Don't worry about the time spent away. Lots of guys on the board acknowledge a gap. Life tends to get in the way sometimes. I started diving in 1975 in college. Continued through the Marines until 1985, then taught diving at MSW until I'd finished a grad degree in 1987. Had a couple kids and basically quit diving in 1990 to raise them. When they got to around 14/15, got them certified and started diving again as a family activity until they left home for college. Ten or eleven years off is not that unusual. Diving is still there when you're ready to come back to it...and I still find myself fairly enthusiastic about it also.

I think the fundies course is a good idea for you, but as you noted - working with a few mentors would be an excellent way to refresh your skills and thinking.

Best of luck. :)

Tollie:
A really interesting thread. Others have commented on the holistic nature of the DIR approach to diving. I’d like to speak to a common misperception that DIR diving is only done in doubles and stage bottles; by those who dive only deep wrecks and caves. Actually the DIR style is absolutely appropriate on shallow, well-lit warm, water reefs… in nothing more than exposure protection and with singles. What makes the system powerful is that the pieces of gear and the approach to diving work well in a wide variety of environments.

I think that as an O/W diver interested in diving DIR recreationally your major challenge will be to find buddies (team members) who are willing to go along with you in this style. My experience is that the typical recreational diver is less concerned about becoming a better diver and in thinking about his or her diving than the people on this board.
Were GUE to start doing intial scuba certifications, then it would be a lot less challenge to find recreational OW buddies.

The misperception that DIR diving is only done in doubles and stage bottles will disappear when GUE finally starts doing OW classes. For a couple years now it has been "real soon".

If doing an OW course is some sort of conflict with the generally technical orientation that GUE does have, then perhaps GUE can do a recreational spinoff, kind of the reverse of the tech-oriented PADI spinoff.

Thanks for the kind replys everyone. My intent is to go with a partner or two for the next coupel of months and basically re-work ALL my basic skills. I have a private pool available to me essentially 24 hours a day and can work on off-scuba work there, or invite a friend and work on buddy work. I am also fortunate enough to have a few DIR guys in the local club with whom I will be trying to associate with. One has already expressed significant interest.

OE2X: Thanks for the kind compliment. I may yet get to the PNW, but there are a LOT of waters to ply here in Florida before I start to spend that kind of money venturing to new destinations. One of the magnificent things about Florida, is that it is a divers paradise. From springs and creeks, to coral, to caves, to wrecks. I can get to any style of diving, in under 3 hours drive.

I am very happy to have found this board. And I think it will be instrumental as I work my way back into the sport.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom