DIR principles applied to OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
OE2X: Thanks for the kind compliment. I may yet get to the PNW, but there are a LOT of waters to ply here in Florida before I start to spend that kind of money venturing to new destinations. One of the magnificent things about Florida, is that it is a divers paradise. From springs and creeks, to coral, to caves, to wrecks. I can get to any style of diving, in under 3 hours drive.
And here I was feeling sorry for you what with no buddies and just a few holes in the ground to jump into.:D :D
It's o.k rub it in. I can take it. :wink:
Uncle Pug and I did a dive today - DIR of course. We had an outstanding 8' of vis. We did see 4 large octos, a few sculpins, a wolf eel and a Red Irish Lord.

Charlie99:
Were GUE to start doing intial scuba certifications, then it would be a lot less challenge to find recreational OW buddies.

The misperception that DIR diving is only done in doubles and stage bottles will disappear when GUE finally starts doing OW classes. For a couple years now it has been "real soon".

If doing an OW course is some sort of conflict with the generally technical orientation that GUE does have, then perhaps GUE can do a recreational spinoff, kind of the reverse of the tech-oriented PADI spinoff.

Well, I am hearing it REALLY is REAL SOON. But without the history of previous promises, I can't differentiate if these are any different....

Part of the misperception around DIR results from too much of the good information getting lost in the poor packaging -- oft espoused by those with good intentions.

Otter:
Well, I am hearing it REALLY is REAL SOON. But without the history of previous promises, I can't differentiate if these are any different....

earlier this year, i had the chance to ask Jarrod Jablonski about it, and he said
it should be in place by the middle of next year... so....

we'll see :crafty:

(for the record, JJ is not amongst my casual aquaintances. he was sitting in on
my DIR-F class)

I wouldn't get overly excited about that possibility. This is a VERY small organization, with fewer than 40 active instructors, I believe. If GUE keeps their standards as high as I think they will, those 40 instuctors will put out VERY few divers in comparison to the whole dive community. In fact, I think that you will find the same difficulty in obtaining GUE BOW training as you do currently in finding DIRF training. Maybe much more difficult, as the BOW course is, by it's nature, a lot longer than a Fundamental weekend, or even a Tech1 week. That means that Mike Kane, AG, Brando, et al will have to teach these courses near their home town, or the cost of commuting will be quite high. I also expect the cost of this course will weed out the casual interest.

But then again, I could be wrong!

Charlie99:
Were GUE to start doing intial scuba certifications, then it would be a lot less challenge to find recreational OW buddies.

Sometimes small is a good thing. I'm lucky in that GUE headquarters is less than 2 hours drive, but to be honest, when I am ready for that level of instruction, I'd fly in if I had to. Hopefully they keep the standards high for the foreseeable future as I'd really like to take some classes with them.

PerroneFord:
I am assuming that somewhere, some DIR divers are on singles SOMETIME! :) Maybe when out with the wife in cozumel or drift diving in the keys. You can't be strapping on twin 104s for drifting....
Though you can be strapping on twin 104's for drifting (or most any other dives for that matter), they are not a requirement to be DIR.

DIR is much more about situational, team and environmental awareness than it is about gear. Yes, the gear configuration is important, but having the "right" gear is not the be-all and end-all of being a DIR diver... just the first step. I am one of many DIR trained divers who dive a single tank (without an H valve) for recreational level dives. I do occasionally dive the doubles on vanilla dives just to keep in practice so on the rare oportunities I get to do Tech1 level dive I will be comfortable with them.

As for your statement about getting a lot more comfortable in the water before taking a DIRf class, consider this.... Take the class sooner and with an attitude of treating it as a "workshop" in which you are shown and given a chance to attempt the skills. Go into it with the attitude you will not likely pass, but will be taught what you need to work on to develop those fundamental skills while neutrally buoyant, horizontal and aware of your surroundings while paying attention to your dive. Taking it early also has the advantage of hopefully not getting the chance to develop counterproductive techniques that will need to be unlearned :wink:

Finally, as I said in your other thread.... take advantage of the generosity of those divers more experienced than you who are offering to shore dive with you. If they are DIR trained, that will be to your advantage when you do take the class :wink:... that is, if they have the skills and teaching ability to help you rather than teach you to do something reckless.

Whatever you end up doing..... make it a point to enjoy your dives!

Thanks Snowbear. I didn't mean to imply DIR was simply about gear config. I think we ALL know that by now.. :)

Taking the class early might be an idea. I'll think about that. However, after doing my swim/snorkel last night... I'm thinking it will be a couple of months at least.

i took it with 20 dives. went in just hoping they didn't tell me to never dive again. that helped because there was much less ego to bruise. it still sucks seeing yourself be a total CF on video, but you will have company.

you can't really practice for it, and its pretty rare for people to pass it the first time. you're really just not going to know what you're doing underwater until you see yourself on video and know what to look for.

Go to a 104 with your H-VALVE,That should give you plenty of gas for Rec. range of 130 fsw.Till you get started in your training, also, left sling a 40 cft. with back gas for any possible contingencies,allowing you to be less dependent on another diver for gas in case of a problem. You will get into deco. gases at some time in the future, so go to your nearest GUE facility for the best taining you can get!!

yid: Capt. Tom

Well,

Thinking about the DIR-F class has forced me to do something drastic. I've decided to get off the couch and get my butt back in shape. I bought a set of swim goggles on the weekend, cracked open my fitness books, and now have a plan to get in decent shape by the end of the summer. Depending on how that goes, I'll sign up for a GUE class in August or September. I am a long way off though.. wow.

Pool session last night, my best underwater swim was 25m and that was a struggle. I guess it could have been worse (and it was at first) but I don't think it will be too awful to double that in 2-3 months time.

So how do you take a bad swimmer, and turn him into a good diver?? Any tips on the underwater swimming? I had a LOT of trouble staying DOWN long enough to complete the swim. I found I had the most success when I just blew a few bubbles along the way. Hopefully, daily pool sessions will improve this.

In looking at equipment, I think I am going to settle on a HP100 with H-Valve, and 2 AL80s for doubles. It will be years before I need double steels, so I think this should get it done.

Thanks for all the support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom