DIR principles applied to OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
In looking at equipment, I think I am going to settle on a HP100 with H-Valve, and 2 AL80s for doubles. It will be years before I need double steels, so I think this should get it done.

You might be surprised. I grew into my single tank 130s really quickly.

lamont:
You might be surprised. I grew into my single tank 130s really quickly.

You grew into your dual-tank 130's really quickly too ... it was most disappointing (I was rather looking forward to seeing you do a couple of head-stands, at least) ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PerroneFord:
Well,

Thinking about the DIR-F class has forced me to do something drastic. I've decided to get off the couch and get my butt back in shape.

Perrone,
Getting in shape is one of the best preparations for GUE-style diving. It will make your diving more enjoyable, if nothing else.

25m (roughtly 75 feet or one lenght of a "YMCA" size pool) underwater swim is more than enough for fundamentals. I believe the current standard is 50 feet. As for swimming, your cardio health will play a role in making the swim. If you find that you can do the swim without getting terribly winded, but are swimming it slowly, then you might want to get with a swimming instructor to improve your technique. Great swimming does not a great diver make, nor does terrible swimming curse you to terrible diving. Practice your swimming and make sure you're getting in at least 20 minutes of cardio 3x a week, better would be 45 mins 3 or more times a week.

Other pre-class training you can do is stretching... think reaching your valves as well as keeping your head back.

Most importantly do not try to learn DIR/GUE diving on the internet. You can get some valuable information out here, but also a lot of misinformation. The GUE standards change from time to time, and you want to be learning from an instructor and training with a team that is up to date.

You're in the right part of the world to get the training and get the training soon. Look for an instructor who can match you up with other fundamentals students to train with after the class, as well as an instructor that will support you as you practice. Ask them how they handle clearing provisional ratings once you have practiced and what kind of after-class support they provide.

Some great advice that has been given before here and in other places:
- Take Fundamentals as soon as possible.
- Don't stress about in-water training before the class, else you risk practicing things incorrectly.
- Do work on your cardio health before and after class.
- Do consult your fundamentals instructors before purchasing additional gear.
- Do approach the fundamentals course with a workshop attitude. You'll get a lot more out of it.
- Do purchase and read the Fundamentals book. However, realize that some things in it have evolved since the book was published, and large portions of the GUE philosophy are not in print anywhere.
- Do keep that enthusiasm. After all diving is about fun!!

One more thing: you are right that there are slightly different things we do based on the environment and objectives for our dives. Different tanks, different exposure protection, etc. However, many things stay the same: team protocol, situational awareness, large portions of the gear, planning, and gas management (although there are different gas management rules depending on if it's a reef dive, offshore dive, or cave dive and the conditions of the day.) You'll learn all about this in the fundamentals lectures.

Good luck with your journey!

Tollie:
I think that as an O/W diver interested in diving DIR recreationally your major challenge will be to find buddies (team members) who are willing to go along with you in this style.
That's certainly true in my neck of the world, but diving the DIR way certainly does not preclude one from diving with non-DIR trained divers.

What I've found is that it's all just a bunch of words until you get in the water. As an example, I dove with a guy for the first time a couple weeks ago. We didn't talk about DIR, other than I mentioned I was gonna hang out with a DIRf class that weekend. We briefed/planned the dive, I showed him around, he froze in his wetsuit in 41 degree water. Anyhow, he sent me a PM afterwards stating something to the effect of ordering a drysuit as well as maybe he needs to look into the DIR approach... I took that as a compliment :D

Charlie99:
The misperception that DIR diving is only done in doubles and stage bottles will disappear when GUE finally starts doing OW classes.
Misperceptions are persistant, aren't they! While DIRf used to be a pre-tech or cave workshop to evaluate fundamental diving skills, the classes I've attended in the last year and a half have been mostly recreational divers wanting to improve their skills. The class I observed a couple weekends ago had 5 students.... only one of them was in doubles. He was in doubles 'cause he wants to move on to tech diving.

As someone else mentioned, though I did take DIRf as a prerequisite to Tech1, it has greatly improved the fun I have in recreational dives as well. Being relaxed and in control of my gear and skills leaves only having fun and enjoying the dive. Yeah, it took some work to get to where I am now (and of course, a bit of work to maintain and keep improving), but now that I look back, it was worth it!

First of all - congrats on getting of the couch and making the commitment and setting goals to get in shape!
PerroneFord:
In looking at equipment, I think I am going to settle on a HP100 with H-Valve, and 2 AL80s for doubles.
I gotta ask - why the H-valve? As was pointed out in the DIRf class I sat in on recently, it's a rare person who's flexible enough to reach the second valve to shut it down (or turn it on). What's the point of having that kind of redundancy if you can't reach it quickly? If you're leaning towards the DIR way, a big part of which is mutual buddy awareness and the associated redundancy, why the H-valve? Jus' wonderin'...

Snowbear:
First of all - congrats on getting of the couch and making the commitment and setting goals to get in shape!

I gotta ask - why the H-valve? As was pointed out in the DIRf class I sat in on recently, it's a rare person who's flexible enough to reach the second valve to shut it down (or turn it on). What's the point of having that kind of redundancy if you can't reach it quickly? If you're leaning towards the DIR way, a big part of which is mutual buddy awareness and the associated redundancy, why the H-valve? Jus' wonderin'...

The idea on the H-Valve was not only redundancy, but to keep a setup similar to the doubles I want to dive with as I progress. Interesting point about the flexibility to reach back and get the knob, but I do have very long arms and long hands. I could probably reach it, but I'd have to try to be sure.

Thanks for "keeping an eye" on me. :)

I can understand this reasoning but it's not DIR. The DIR equipment configuration is not open for second-guessing, it's a standard. To be DIR (in terms of equipment) you need to simply memorize the details and conform. Questioning the status quo and experimentation with the gear are not DIR. There are other, more forgiving, styles for that.

R..

Diver0001:
I can understand this reasoning but it's not DIR. The DIR equipment configuration is not open for second-guessing, it's a standard. To be DIR (in terms of equipment) you need to simply memorize the details and conform. Questioning the status quo and experimentation with the gear are not DIR. There are other, more forgiving, styles for that.

R..
I disagree with that analysis.

Snowbear:
That's certainly true in my neck of the world, but diving the DIR way certainly does not preclude one from diving with non-DIR trained divers.

It certainly isn't like that everywhere.... In Holland the DIR hardcore are very......hmmmmm......introverted, for lack of a better term.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom