DIR Regulator set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not exactly sure how the Y's work, but most H-valves are modular. You can get a K valve, add the H part later, and when you're ready for doubles, buy another K and the isolator. Look into the Sea Elite, Dive Rite, and Scuba Pro 300 DIN valves. I hear they are all virtually identical but not necessarily in price. I use the Sea Elite manifold for my doubles. Avoid the OMS and Genesis valves.

Mike

Cheers LY ill pop the question in the "tank" section and see if someone can advise me there. Yeh i hear scuba pro valves are pretty good too.

By the way - what are you refering to as the "swivel" on the first stage of the TX100?

What's wrong with Genesis valves? From what I've heard they are one of the more desirable valves. Another DIR thing?

Iv never heard of genesis. Thanks Warhammer ill check them out but i think they only make H valves. Has anyone got a link to there webby?

Yeah, it's just another DIR thing. Everything about them is fine except they have the ports tilted up (don't ask me why). This makes for more difficult hose arranging, is higher profile and more apt to hit the ceiling. I use a Genesis H-valve on my single 80, but plan to change it someday. For the same money, you might as well buy one of the others to avoid these potential problems.

Mike

Frog, I don't have their web site, but they're modular too. You can get the K-valves, H valves, and isolator for doubles.

Mike

Well guys youv been great. After all my research i have concluded that there are no manufacturers of 7/8 thread Y valves (that i can find anyway). So it looks like i will have to opt for a "H" valve. I found another pic of a single tank setup if you fancy a google.
http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/images/kit/singleregs.jpg
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/shartley/projects/gear/first_a.jpg

Does any one have any ideas as to where (which posts) each hose should be routed. For example should the primary go behind the left ear into the left 1st stage and so-on. Bearing in mind i will have 5 hoses (2
regs,SPG,LPinflator,dry suit). I thought maybe that the SPG should go into the same 1st stage as the backup reg so if your primary fails you know how much gas you have while breathing on the backup. However this will probably never be an issue since the 1st stages will be dry sealed.

Cheers

Ok, as you have the tank on, you have a right post over your right shoulder and a left post over your left shoulder. On the left post is your brass SPG (24-26" hose; no console; clips to left D-ring on belt), back up reg (unbalanced; 26")which goes behind your neck and under your chin, and dry suit inflator (24-26") which routes under your left arm pit to your chest. Ok, a little more on the dry suit inflator, if your inflator valve doesn't rotate to the left and is stationary to the right, you will have to buy like a 30" hose and route it behind your neck and under your right arm pit. My valve rotates on my suit so it goes under my left arm pit. The other option would be to take out the existing valve and turn it so it faces left. I'd opt for another hose.
On the right post is your 7' hose which runs straight down and can be "hooked" by your knife or shears sheath or cannister light, or tucked inside your waste strap. The hose crosses your body and wraps around the back of your neck and goes in your mouth. It has a bolt snap at the second stage for clipping to a D-ring when not in use. Then you have your BC inflator (24") which crosses behind your neck and down to the inflator. You can use some bungie to keep it tight to the inflator hose (the Halcyon has it on there already).
That's it. The first stages lay horizontal and the hoses point downwards. Everything will line up just fine. Make sure they have hose protectors on each hose at the first stage.

One last thing, don't place too much confidence in the dry sealed first stage. I have the Zeagle T-50D which is identical to the Apeks, and I have had several secod stage free flows with the reg in water temps around 32-36F. I've talked to many others who have had similar problems.

Later.

Mike

So which was the culprit in the free flow. You said it was a second stage free flow right. So how can you blame the 1st stage? Or am i missing something. Cheers

I should have clarified that I assumed it was the second stage (probably). The gist of I meant was that the sealed first stage won't necessarily prevent a free flow in cold water.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom