DIR Regulator set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you hold your breath...

I'm picking up tanks this afternoon - so I could go take them apart and have a look see and I can give you guys a better idea.

It is not only the swivel you loose, you are also loosing some seal if I recall correctly - I willl see if I can find Tom - he knows all these little details inside out.

Cheers,
Terkel
(and yes, that woudl be tanks for the night dive tonight...)

Cool WD have fun on the night dive :) I havnt done a night dive myself, still plenty of time though. I am starting to get depressed now since i just bought my gear a few weeks/months back and now im selling it all lol. So i have to get rid of my cobra, my TX100 and my BCD :(

But i think DIR is the way to go for me because im just so into the gear aspect of diving. I am constantly fiddling around with clips and bits and peices.

But wait a minute - i need 5 hoses: 1SPG, 1primary reg, 1 backup reg, dry suit and BC inflator. Wont this mean that 1 hose will have to come out of the top of 1 of the 1st stages? Although on the apeks web site it looks like they might have 3 ports on 1 side ??

So i think its the beuchat Y valve and 2 Apeks DS (DIN)first stages. In addition it means WHEN i get a set of doubles i can use the same first stages on those. Then again the sheer cost of it all might make me change my mind lol!

If you look closely at the pictures, especially the ones with the doubles you can see that the right first stage has 3 hoses on it - that shoudl answer that question...

As far as selling the TX100 - if - as I suspect, it is the same as the TX50, then all you would need, would be to get a new first stage, you could keep the old one for those times when you go to warmer waters and can't bring your own tanks...

I would say you are pretty well setup for doubles with that setup - I would do it myself - but I have to stop spending money for a day or two...

I'll post my learnings later,
Terkel

Frog,

It looks like you're on your way. The hose lengths are 26" for back up reg, 24" for HP hose, 7' for primary reg, and 24" for BC inflator (should come with the Halcyon wings). I think my dry suit hose is 26".

DIN is a good idea because it's so much more reliable and tough for overhead environments. The conversion is easy, just have your shop show ya how it's done.

Wet Dane,

E-mail me to talk about the dry suit underwear -- mccswood@cs.com.

My local shop (of which there is only 1 within about a 100 mile radius) is very poorly stocked and the instructors are ALWAYS busy on weekends and basically they are in my opinion very rude people. To make things worse , during the week the shop is only open 4 hours in a day and it is manned by someone (the owners wife) who hasnt got the first clue about diving eqiupment. This is one of the reasons i suppose that i have learned about diving gear relatively quickly, due to a complete lack of info from any local dive shops. I have had to learn just about everything from this board and from reading web sites. One of the first sites on DIR that i ever read was a homemade page by a shark researcher in Australia. It is a great site with very good pics and i keep intouch with him about his set-up etc. I am sure he would be grateful if you drop him an e-mail if you have any questions/pointers about his site/gear config. He was the one asking me whether H2oadventurediving.com was trustworthy. Check his site, hes just made a short video of his set-up showing how streamlined it is underwater. I sent him the pics of the beuchat Y valve from H20 diving and i think he is impressed somewhat by its neat appearance, so much so he just added the link to his page.

http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/shartley/projects/gear/

PS: If i get a tank with a normal valve. Can i change it to a Y valve at a later stage?

I started out the exact same way you are with poor shops around, but I didn't find DIR until after I spent thousands on gear that ended up not being too good. I envy you.

Mike

Frog,

Ok, here's the lowdown...

Asides from the hose - the difference between a TX100 and the TX50 is a lighter alloy used in the movable parts - such as adjustment knobs...
I asked if the difference in weight justified the price and got one of those nasty looks "don't even make me beat you" type deals... So, other than that, if you take the two apart, they are identical, the only other differrence lies in the first stage.

Now that I was down there, I looked at the single tank rig seen in the pictures, it has 3 hoses on the right side, so your drysuit will not be an issue.

I hope this helps you in your config!

Cheers,
Terkel

Terkel & Mike

Thanks ever so much for the help and putting up with my (often irritating) questioning heh. Well Mike iv already spent over 2,500 pounds on gear myself so im pretty hacked off about having to change my gear too, absolute NIGHTMARE. Terkel cheers for the info friend.

Anyone know about the Y valve, whether i can get a normal everyday valve and then get a Y valve fit at a later stage on the same tank?

Back
Top Bottom