DIR Regulator set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Lost Yopper,

First - thanks for the image - I was mostly surprised to see the gauge with no boot on it - my beloved shop (currently getting less beloved), pretty much ignored my request for a brass, no-boot gauge and just gave me the regular plastic covered one - I'll have to peel that off.

Also - you mention that you have an undergarmen you may like to part with - what size? I'm interested.

Dane.

Frog,

to extent of my knowledge - this is a top performing set of regulators. I personally was choosing between these and the Scuba Pro - I picked Scuba Pro becasue that's what my buddy dives - this way we have identical gear configs as well.

Oh - and you want the TX50 - not the TX100 (has funky hose).

You have the shop there, this is my LDS and they know what they are talking about - the owner is the GUE training director. I don't think they will sell you the regs over mail order, but they will most likely tell you what you need to know - Tom is the man.

Dane.

Frog,

For what it's worth, the DIR cave divers at Wakulla are all using the Apeks regs now-they are only using Scubapro for deco bottles. I think they've had some problems with the Scubapro. That said, most people believe Scubapro make pretty darn good regulators.

I went with the Apeks-I figured if these guys can go 18000 feet into a cave with this reg and be happy, then I would be very happy at 70 fsw looking at pretty fishies!!

Originally posted by Frog
The more i look at this reg/hose set-up the more i like it. The thing is with the Apeks US4 first stages is that i cant find any reviews so i have no idea how well they perform. Anyone tried them?

US4 = Unsealed 4 Ports

This is the standard workings of the TX50, and TX40 first stage in an UNSEALED environment without the swiveling turret. As you are in the UK frog, I would advise that you stick with the standard DST that everyone with an Apeks that I know uses.

Performance is exactly that of the standard first stage, but it is not a cold water reg. Other than that, Apeks are about the best you can buy. (Scubapro are the other main contender for 'best reg')

Jon T

I am a little confused but great info none the less :) WetDane what do you mean by a funky hose on the TX100 and WHY would that make any difference.

TurnerJD hi and thankyou very much for your advice. Ok i see your point. I have the TX50 and Tx40 regs. But i want my hoses to point down like they do in the above picture. Arnt there any cold water Apeks 1st stages that can do this? I ask because i will shortly be taking my Wreck cert and penetration will follow so i want ALL hoses to point down, not sideways. Even if i have to sell my TX100 first stage i dont mind, as long as the hoses are completely out of the way. Can anyone help with this? Cheers i am very gratefull.

Frog,
I think that setup is just a first stage using 2 ports on one side, you cans ee the other ports are plugged and then the first stage is turned on the side - this would not work if you used 4 plugs on the same first stage.

by funky - I just mean that the TX100 ship with odd sized hose - I forget what size it is though - functionality wise I believe that the TX100 and the TX50 are identical - asides from the hose and the first stage.

T

Aha it cant be the US4 in that picture because the connection is DIN.I suppose the cold water 1st stage i would need would be the DST DIN? Is there any problem in converting my A-clamp second stages (if there is such a thing) to a DIN 1st stage. how do they get the 1st stages in that pic above to lay horizontal ? i thought it was just a case of tightening them up until they stop (type thing)Ouch my head heh.

Damn. I seem to be going round in circles here. lol and to make it worse today i picked up my dry suit, which i had been waiting on for 5 weeks. they installed a shoulder dump instead of a cuff dump and..wrong size feet, wrong male adapter for inflation hose connection. I think i am cursed heheh.

So is there any difference with the Y valves, for example cost, geographical air fill problems, etc ? Sorry for any confusion i wrote this in a rush.

Cheers again for your extremely valued advice.

PS: WetDane why is having a "funky" hose a problem?

Hey Frog,

You can have your a clamp US4 first stage converted to DIN - no problem - it's just a retrofit kit. The shop will do it for you (hmm, then again, maybe another shop???).
The DIN screw in swivels in the first stage and you could position it anyway you want - this is just turning it - no rocket science.

I would say you want the shoulder dump rather than the cuff, but that is a personal thing I guess the - inflator should be damn near impossible to get wrong...

Not sure about the price differences - I just have regular DIN, not the Y or H.

as far as the different size hose - if you have a problem with your hose and you don't have a spare, not you are looking for a buddy or any person with that size hose or a shop that sells that specific brand and model... If you have the standard hose, this is simply not an issue - I would just get a spare and keep it in the save-a-dive kit...

Dane

My TX50 came with the larger hose installed also. I removed it and plugged the hole and installed the standard hose in a different port.

Don't know why Apeks does this, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom