DIR Regulator set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive in extreme tempretaures in England in winter too LY. Why a H valve in cold water? Incase of a second stage freeflow?

If yes then, maybe you should check out Apeks free flow device
http://www.apeks.co.uk click on products/secondary air/freeflow control device

I have no idea how it works or if you have even got one. But maybe this could be an alternative way of preventing freeflows if they occur?

L_D,

Actually, I think that is a 5 foot hose on the open water rig. It's from the WKPP and I can't imagine them using anything shorter than 5 feet. The picture does look short, I will agree.

DD,

I was being somewhat devious with my comment. I think if you look closely at the gear config, you'll conclude that the primary hose in the picture is much shorter than 5 feet. Just compare the length of the primary hose to the height of the tank or the length of the SPG hose (normally about 24").

This image was posted on scubadiving.com a month or so ago. At that time, I was surprised, since all I had heard from DIR advocates up to that point was the "long hose" mantra over and over. I asked about it and the response was, "Well, George Irvine sometimes uses a 40" (standard length) primary for basic OW diving."

LD

L_D,

I guess I'll eat my words! That's the first time I've heard of "the man" using anything that short (that'll draw some comments).

I knew it looked weird, but couldn't fathom that he would actually be using it.

Thanks!

...your right, strange. I too thought 5 feet was minimum, although i suppose a "long hose in openwater can actually be more of a liability in an OOA emergency? Hmmm well i am still thinking on whether to go for the 7 foot hose because i am going for my wreck cert soon and cave in time. Soon i will be pentrating wrecks so maybe 5 feet will be too short? Dont worry i have much more thought to go into my kit before i decide upon the conclusion. But i still appreciate your opinions as ever. Anyone want to buy a new cobra with only 9 dives on it?

By posting the picture, I just wanted to show you a configuration for a basic warm shallow water single tank rig. MY own beliefs is to use a minimum of a 5' hose for the comfort and ease of air sharing. I am deep cold water wreck diver, and I use my 7' hose regardless of the dive -- shallow tropical or otherwise. I dive virtually the same regardless of the dive.
I recommend an H-valve (for cold water) on a single for free flow control and having a back up regulator on hand. Scuba Pro and Sea Elite (I think) have H-valves. I use the Genesis H-valve which isn't exactly DIR, but whatever I guess. Save yourself some moola and make sure it's 300 BAR DIN if you intend to get into wreck diving. Definately get the 7' hose for wreck diving too.
As far as the arguements about the proper hose lengths and what not, things are sometimes taken out of context. Most DIR discussions are about ceiling type dives (staged deco, wreck, cave) in which case strict DIR advocates diving by strict DIR guidelines. Although DIR is heavily dependant upon gear configuration, it is equally dependant upon mind set. An arguement over 40" hose v. 5' hose on a 30-40' 75F reef dive is quite foolish if you ask me. There are much larger issues at hand.

Anyway, good luck in your quest. Any more questions, just ask away.

Mike

Oh, have you considered subscribing to GUE's DIR Quest news group. You can learn a bunch about DIR right from the horses mouths. Just go to gue.com to subscribe.

Frog,

I agree with LY's comments -- I have ordered a 7 foot hose and will have my local shop install it when I buy my reg from them. Like LY, I will likely use this config regardless of where I'm diving -- gear consistency is important to me. So why does George Irvine sometimes use a shorter primary hose -- because it works for the given situation. That's what DIR is really supposed to be about -- using a gear config. that is well-thought out for the given diving conditions.

Why 300 bar DIN for wreck diving?
I thought of using just my normal 1st stage (A-clamp) for single tank setups. When i get a twin set then i will get DIN. Or am i thinking about this the wrong way. Its just that often (in my experience) people have different views as to what "wreck diving" actually means. Some people see wreck diving as non penetration diving and class wreck penetration as cave diving. It gets confusing i suppose. And what about shallow wrecks around 5-20 metres, cant you dive those with a single tank set-up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom