DIR Regulator set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it's been many years since I camped up there. I just got certified about a month ago, so I'm pretty new.

How is the diving in that area? I imagine that Lake Superior would be incredible for the wrecks.

The diving is awesome, but IMO incredibly cold without a dry suit. I'm a panzy, so I don't even consider getting wet. There are those who dive wet up here, but I gave that up after about 20 dives with a wet suit.
I got certified up here in December and did my cert. dives in a poorly fitted wet suit while there was a foot of snow on the ground. That was absolutely crazy, but they do it every year hear. The Spring class is worse yet right after the ice melts and the water is just above freezing.
Make sure you make it up to the Straits of Mackinaw and dive the Sandusky (80' max). It's arguably one of the best wrecks (best dives) in the GL's, and the visibility is awesome and getting better every year. It tends to really blow the minds of new divers. The Straits are the little known gem of great lakes diving.

Good luck.

Detroit Diver

I too have a TX50 with a TX40 Octopus (yellow face). If i decide to go with a kind of DIR/Holgarthian long hose config then I will also need to get the face changed to black. This is ok and no trouble for me though because i send my regulators to Apeks directly. Although i have only been diving for a few months I sent my regs to Apeks because I suspected that my Instructor had actuallysetup my reg demand valve incorrectly so it was too hard to breath from. Apeks confirmed this by saying "The adjustment on your TX50 second stage was way out". So from now on i will send my regs to Apeks directly for their yearly service. Apeks will also convert my regs to whatever configuration i want, including long hoses and different coloured faces.

At the moment i arnt sure if i should change to a Holgarthian type config because all i see when i look at gear configurations on the web is "do not use this equipment without proper training". Could i just go DIR (not 110%) myself, i.e. long hose, or do i have to seek the appropriate training? Cheers once again fellars.

DIR is simple and doesn't require any "training". If you have a brain and can read, you're all set. Absolutely start out DIR and don't look back. You won't regret it -- guarenteed.

Good luck.

Lost Yooper- I decided that if I wanted to keep up on this sport in Michigan, then I'd have to learn to dive cold water. Hence, I just purchased a Bare drysuit on Ebay. I'm setting up a class for AOW shortly, which will included drysuit diving and nitrox. We're doing this over a weekend in a quarry in Ohio. I will definately take up your suggestion about the Sandusky when I get some experience-thanks!

Frog-As Lost Yooper said, doing a Hogarthian setup is no big deal. I would just suggest that you take a buddy into the pool and practice donating the long hose a few times. It's really nothing, just would be nice to practice it before you had to really use it! I found it to be MUCH more stress free than the other way. You always know that your next breath of air is just under your chin, and that you have room to manuever with a freaked out OOA diver. Let us know which way you decide to go. BTW, you'll love the streamlining with the backplate and wings. When I took my OW certification in the Caribbean, people on the boat looked at me like I had 3 eyes with my setup. But after the dive, many of them commented on how streamlined and smooth the setup looked. You will feel the difference.

Lost Yooper & Detroit Diver

Are you both DIR divers i wonder?

I have another question if isnt too much trouble. Are Y valves on single tanks really necassery for a
DIR/Holgarthian kit set-up? I am not sure exactly what the Y valve is for. I thought it was for the isolation of one of two regulators should an uncontrolled free flow occur. Are there any other otions rather than a Y valve?. Once again Cheers very much.

Frog,

My equipment setup and mindset are very DIR, but I'm not "fully" DIR according to the DIR gods. As for equipment, I do like having a computer available for a number of reasons, and DIR fanatics will tell you this is a no-no. I understand their reasoning for it, I'm just not ready to convert yet. I do believe whole-heartedly in the buddy system. Which leads me to your question about the Y-valves. If you've got a buddy, you shouldn't need the Y-vavle setup on singles. You buddy is the back-up valve and there is less to go wrong.

If you decide to go this way, you'll get a few stares for a while, but I believe that more and more people will be changing over to this style over the years. It just makes too much sense.

Lost Yooper,

Just ordered the Apeks covers from Aquatic Adventures. Very nice people to deal with (spoke to Gene). They have some excellent prices on Zeagle Tech 50's.

Thanks for the info.

DD,

I have a set of 400g underwear that I'm getting rid of if you're interested. Brand new (1 year old - never worn), but has a very small tear in the nylone which I repaired. I'm going to put it on E-bay one of these days.

Good luck with your class.

Mike

LY,

Thanks, but my drysuit came with a set of Polartec extreme (or something like that).

Funny story. The suit came in the mail and I had it home to try on (bought it on ebay). I have never worn a diving drysuit-only a waterski type. So it about 72 degrees in the house, I've got the polartec on and my forehead is starting to drip sweat. I get the legs in the suit-no prob. THEN I try to put both hands in the sleeves at the same time, and get stuck! My wife is watching this and laughing hysterically. She didn't know whether to help me get out or call the insurance company!

By now it's so damn hot that I think I'm going to die in a drysuit. Can you imagine the headlines? I finally got one arm out and then the other, and couldn't get the underwear off fast enough.

Boy, am I glad I didn't try to put the neck seal on!

Back
Top Bottom