DIR training donating the Primary question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I taught at two different shops in San Diego in the mid 80's and personal mouthpieces were part of the sign up package for all new divers. The main scare then was herpes if I remember correctly. Many times new students would comment, Hell the chlorine in the pool will kill anything that could be on it! Most never even said a thing

I wouldn't worry about what's on the mouth piece before comming to terms with what's comming of every ones pee valve.

The odds of contracting AIDS or HIV through saliva is very, very small. Two people would have to exchange some where along the lines of a gallon of saliva to do it (I have no credible data that I can point people to to back this statement). The only cases I know of orally transmitted HIV or AIDS always involved trauma to the mouth or gums such as a fist or flossing. The risk in my opinion is too small to be concerned about. I'm with Mikeferrara on this one. Watch that "Pee Valve":yuck:

Jambi

HIV is nothing to worry about. I doubt that the virus could survive more than a few seconds in your average pool, lake or ocean. This would be something, however, I'd expect a buddy to mention before the dive.

If you want to scare yourself, take a drop of ocean or lake water, put it on a slide, and take a peek in a microscope. There's more wiggly critters in a single drop than all the animals in the all the zoos in all the world. That's what's going inside every time you put your reg in your mouth after it's been in the water.

When you estimate the visibility, stop and think what you're looking at. It's all the micro- and macroscopic crud suspended in the water. If people weren't already equipped with effective immune systems designed to deal with it, we'd all get some kind of raging infection every time we went in the water.

IMO, it would be next to impossible to get HIV this way - the virus load in salvia is just to small - you would need 2 people with open sores in their mouth and then a mircale for the virus to survive the water.

However, stuff like Hep B (very hardy, very easy to get), herpes (i.e. cold sores) that's a different story. I would never give someone CPR without a barrier for this reason.

I'd be very leary of sharing regs with "strangers" , espically in freshwater.

From my HIV teachings/educations/semoinars, it would take like 5 gallons of saliva to even have enough of the virus to transfer...granted I do not have the papers in front of me...but it was some ridiculus amount without bleeding evident.

Hi im turning this over to my wife to type this out since she has training in this area. I was just a AHA CPR instuc and know that there has never been a case were a person has got HIV/AIDS from blowing on Annie.
From my educational experiences we were taught the possiablilty of transmission of AIDS in saliva is rare if at all. HIV/AIDS can not survive outside of the host/body. There is only one know case of mouth to mouth transmission which involved deep kissing and both of the individuals had bleeding gums and transfered it throught the blood not the saliva. Plus the viral load would be watered down in the exchange of the reg. Use your buddies secondary second stage if you are concerned. Dive safely.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
From my HIV teachings/educations/semoinars, it would take like 5 gallons of saliva to even have enough of the virus to transfer...granted I do not have the papers in front of me...but it was some ridiculus amount without bleeding evident.

Most of these latest posts are good to know now. But BigT...That's just gross man. 5 gallons.......:eek:

After a quick search, I found this article on the CDC website regarding HIV transmission. Areas of note are the "How it is transmitted" , "HIV and the environment" and the "Kissing" sections. The section on kissing closely relates to the sharing of regulators and this thread IMO.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/facts/transmission.htm

Being an emergency medical professional, I would donate my primary regulator to an HIV+ buddy without hesitation. I would take it right back from them and use it again if the situation warranted it, without hesitation. After having a friend that was HIV+, I have learned quite a bit about the condition and the myths associated with it. Now, as far as other conditions are concerned, I expect that my dive buddies would make me and the rest of the team aware of any conditions that existed, as I would do the same for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom