DIR training donating the Primary question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer gatorade or water to rehydrate myself.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
From my HIV teachings/educations/semoinars, it would take like 5 gallons of saliva to even have enough of the virus to transfer...granted I do not have the papers in front of me...but it was some ridiculus amount without bleeding evident.

Not to open a new can of worms here, but why was this question aimed towards DIR training? I was taught in my ow class to donate my primary.

Wendy once bubbled...
Not to open a new can of worms here, but why was this question aimed towards DIR training? I was taught in my ow class to donate my primary.

Good point......In later posts on this thread I brought up PADI and the buddy breathing technique also......

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Good point......In later posts on this thread I brought up PADI and the buddy breathing technique also......

ok, cuz I was NAUI ow and we learned to donate our primary.

Wendy once bubbled...

ok, cuz I was NAUI ow and we learned to donate our primary.

But that aside...The point has been well covered by some medical professionals in this thread.

SCORE ResQ once bubbled...
After a quick search, I found this article on the CDC website regarding HIV transmission. Areas of note are the "How it is transmitted" , "HIV and the environment" and the "Kissing" sections. The section on kissing closely relates to the sharing of regulators and this thread IMO.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/facts/transmission.htm
Nice...good point of refernce to maybe even take to classes where this question can come up.

I've had to donate or rather had a panicked diver yank my primary without warning, (from what I hear that's the way it happens most of the time). Even if your buddy is only a few meters from you, those seconds seem like an eternity, and by the time they get to you, they WANT to take a breath.

Since in a real OOA you might have very little choice, as it might not even be your buddy in need nor will you have time to choose between primary/secondary, I find it reassuring fisrt to now know that bugs will wash away during the transfer and second since my mask might get knocked down or flooded by the diver in need, knowing where my octopus is and overlearning the proper reaction to this situation kept me calm.

Sorry I think I went a bit off topic.
But hope this shines some light on it.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom