Disappointed, but.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sidne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
there IS a silver lining.

I should be 2 dives into my open water checkout dive sequence right now at Beaver Lake, AR with my LDS. Instead I'm sitting in my living room in Kansas City.

I was REALLY looking forward to completing my certification tomorrow. But, a flu-like illness that started a week ago sidelined me for the last 8 days. I do feel better today, but I'm still congested and a little weak. Probably a good idea I decided to pull out of the weekend dives.

The silver lining is that I have a trip to Cozumel to dive with Blue Angel scheduled in about 3 weeks, so I'm going to finish my OWC with them. I'll just need to suffer through the 75-80 degree water temps instead of 65... :wink:

By the way, thanks to everyone on SB. I've been lurking for a few months now and I've learned a lot during that time. You all have helped me learn how to equalize (don't want to repeat the middle ear barotrauma I got on a DSD this summer) and helped me decide to make the trip to CZM and stay with BA!

I hope I'll get to the point where I can "give back" with my own contributions.

Excellent attitude, and smart decision on sitting out the dives.

Good luck in Coz. :)

Let's see Beaver Lake, 60 to 65 degrees, vis what maybe 10 feet vs Coz with 75 to 80 degrees 100 plus vis. Oh yea you made the right call. Have a great time.

You demonstrated excellent judgement by calling the dive. Besides, it wouldn't have been fun at all when you feel that bad. There is an old adage in aviation that is applicable. Appropriately modified, the adage is " It is better being on the shore wishing you were diving than to be diving wishing that you were back on the shore".

Have fun in Cozumel!!!

Let's see Beaver Lake, 60 to 65 degrees, vis what maybe 10 feet vs Coz with 75 to 80 degrees 100 plus vis. Oh yea you made the right call. Have a great time.

Luckily I didn't have to make the decision to skip diving in CZM for Beaver Lake.:wink: Honestly, I would have hated making that decision more. I was really looking forward to actually being certified tomorrow, though!

In a way I think I got a little bit lucky with the middle ear barotrauma this summer. It really freaked me out at the time. And it took weeks to completely heal/disappear even with two trips to the doctor (one while still traveling and the other after returning home.) It wasn't TOO serious; but it left me with a fairly healthy respect for taking care while diving.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to tell this (not even) novice diver that I made the right decision AND to wish me well in Coz!

Not only is it wise to decide not to dive when you are congested, it is also very wise to decide not to take a class when you are wiped out from being sick. Nobody learns well when they have to drag themselves to the learning situation!

Have fun in Cozumel, and you can spend some of this down time beforehand reading the gas management article on nwgratefuldiver.com It will be useful information for your Coz trip.

there IS a silver lining.

I should be 2 dives into my open water checkout dive sequence right now at Beaver Lake, AR with my LDS. Instead I'm sitting in my living room in Kansas City.

I was REALLY looking forward to completing my certification tomorrow. But, a flu-like illness that started a week ago sidelined me for the last 8 days. I do feel better today, but I'm still congested and a little weak. Probably a good idea I decided to pull out of the weekend dives.

The silver lining is that I have a trip to Cozumel to dive with Blue Angel scheduled in about 3 weeks, so I'm going to finish my OWC with them. I'll just need to suffer through the 75-80 degree water temps instead of 65... :wink:

By the way, thanks to everyone on SB. I've been lurking for a few months now and I've learned a lot during that time. You all have helped me learn how to equalize (don't want to repeat the middle ear barotrauma I got on a DSD this summer) and helped me decide to make the trip to CZM and stay with BA!

I hope I'll get to the point where I can "give back" with my own contributions.

You made the right decision not to dive when sick. Good job! BTW, you'll love The Blue Angel and all of the staff! What dates will you be there? We'll be there Nov. 17 - 24.....maybe we'll see you???? Last year when we were there over Thanksgiving week, the water was hovering around 83 degrees. Quite a difference from 65 degrees! Cozumel spoils you with warm water temps and unbelievable visibility....you'll not want to leave.

Safe trip and safe diving!

What he said!

Not only is it wise to decide not to dive when you are congested, it is also very wise to decide not to take a class when you are wiped out from being sick. Nobody learns well when they have to drag themselves to the learning situation!

As a professor (albeit on dry land), I'm well aware of needing to be prepared for class.

Have fun in Cozumel, and you can spend some of this down time beforehand reading the gas management article on nwgratefuldiver.com It will be useful information for your Coz trip.

Thanks for the pointer! There clearly is a LOT of very useful information in that article and I only spent about 10 minutes with it so far.

---------- Post Merged on October 29th, 2012 at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was on October 28th, 2012 at 05:37 PM ----------

You made the right decision not to dive when sick. Good job! BTW, you'll love The Blue Angel and all of the staff! What dates will you be there? We'll be there Nov. 17 - 24.....maybe we'll see you???? Last year when we were there over Thanksgiving week, the water was hovering around 83 degrees. Quite a difference from 65 degrees! Cozumel spoils you with warm water temps and unbelievable visibility....you'll not want to leave.

Safe trip and safe diving!

I think we'll be likely to see each other at Blue Angel in Cozumel. We're they're from November 15 - 24! It would likely be difficult to avoid seeing each other.

The day you arrive, 17 November, is the day I should be completing my OWC. Stop by the bar for a celebratory drink on me, if you like!

Back
Top Bottom