Dissimilar Tank Matching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim, everything made of steel with a working pressure of over 2400 goes up to 3600. 2400+/3180+/3442/3500, they all go up to 3600. Anything less than that makes thirds calculations a pita, the extra few hundred psi at fill isn't going to bother them.

Yup ... general rule of thumb with LP tanks is when they hit rated working pressure it's time to turn the dive ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yup ... general rule of thumb with LP tanks is when they hit rated working pressure it's time to turn the dive ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I"ve been noticing that.... but when you are in a team with dissimilar tanks.... it gets a little weird. :)

I"ve been noticing that.... but when you are in a team with dissimilar tanks.... it gets a little weird. :)

We'd generally calculate thirds for the smallest set of tanks, convert to volume, and apply that to whatever tanks the remaining team was using. It's not that weird ... if the smallest tanks are 100's, for example (x2), you know that you have 200 cubic feet of gas total. One third is approximately 65 cubic feet. Convert that to PSI for your other team member's tanks and subtract it from their starting pressure.

It doesn't matter that you're not turning on the same gas pressure ... it matters that you're turning on the same gas usage. Each team member only has to know what that translates into for their own set of tanks. It's actually fairly simple arithmetic. In an ideal world, it only means that the team member(s) with the bigger tanks will be coming back with more than a third of their available gas ... and that's the real price you pay for not matching tank sizes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,
That is exactly what this app does .. turn based on matching volume, then converted to psi for each diver.

If you need to round to the nearest 100 it's done by using this. So 1250/100 = 12.5, which Math.floor() changes to 12, then multiply it by 100 again.
Code:
Math.floor(third_of_gas/100)*100

Also, I only mention this since you appear to be learning...most of this stuff is nit picky, but if you ever want to program in a team environment it's important to get things standardized (oh geez, I'm drawing a parallel)

1) Always lowercase the start of variables/methods and uppercase object definitions.
2) When a function reads as twoWords() be sure to capitalize the start of each word instead of twowords().
3) All functions should be in the header, in a single js file. That way the file can be cached and the browser doesn't have to reload it every single page load.
4) Avoid using relative access paths for your HTML. For example, where you do this "document.bmcalc.MOD.value", be careful doing that because if you change bmcalc to bmcalcs, you break all your JavaScript. Give each object a unique ID and access it by that , IE document.getElementById("mod")
5) Avoid using inline css. Nearly every one of your tables has the same css applied to it, so just assign them a class and reference it from within the site css file. This will make your life easier if you ever change site themes.

Bob,
That is exactly what this app does .. turn based on matching volume, then converted to psi for each diver.

OK ... I guess I'm old school, in that my app exists between my ears ... I usually make those conversions in my head ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you need to round to the nearest 100 it's done by using this. So 1250/100 = 12.5, which Math.floor() changes to 12, then multiply it by 100 again.
Code:
Math.floor(third_of_gas/100)*100

Also, I only mention this since you appear to be learning...most of this stuff is nit picky, but if you ever want to program in a team environment it's important to get things standardized (oh geez, I'm drawing a parallel)

1) Always lowercase the start of variables/methods and uppercase object definitions.
2) When a function reads as twoWords() be sure to capitalize the start of each word instead of twowords().
3) All functions should be in the header, in a single js file. That way the file can be cached and the browser doesn't have to reload it every single page load.
4) Avoid using relative access paths for your HTML. For example, where you do this "document.bmcalc.MOD.value", be careful doing that because if you change bmcalc to bmcalcs, you break all your JavaScript. Give each object a unique ID and access it by that , IE document.getElementById("mod")
5) Avoid using inline css. Nearly every one of your tables has the same css applied to it, so just assign them a class and reference it from within the site css file. This will make your life easier if you ever change site themes.

Most definitely learning.... in a hacking sort of way, googling what I need for a result and then multiple attempts to get the expected result. So when you look at my code it may be long and stretched out because that was the way I got it to work. :) ANY suggestions or comments will be assimilated :)

I am trying to keep everything lower case, except for those things that have to be upper, but leave it to Java and Javascript to make that difficult for a newby.

:)

Tim

---------- Post added May 8th, 2015 at 11:37 AM ----------

OK ... I guess I'm old school, in that my app exists between my ears ... I usually make those conversions in my head ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:) I took this on for a couple of different reasons... 1. I had frustrations first understanding the principle math 2. I have since dove with several people that base their turn on my 3rds since I've been the smallest tank (guessing they wouldn't exceed their 3rds) which as long as I'm the smallest tank(volume and pressure) and controlling the turn it shouldn't be an issue as long as they didn't exceed their 3rds, I wanted a way to quantify quickly what turn pressures should be for both of us.

You however have been doing this for YEARS vs my months, so can likely just look at tank and pressure and KNOW what the turn PSI should be... I am a bit envious of your time diving.

:)

Tim

I don't like to do dissimilar matching in my head, personally. I suck at mental math. Thanks for making an app that does it!

I don't like to do dissimilar matching in my head, personally. I suck at mental math. Thanks for making an app that does it!

WTF JUST HAPPENED? Did AJ just make a post that wasn't argumentative and judgmental while mocking and ridiculing? Am I in an alternate reality? Did the world just explode and I'm the last one to find out? HOLY CRAP. :D :D :D :D

WheresWaldo just accomplished the impossible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom