Dive Boat Etiquette on SoCal Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my .02 cents worth:

Tipping: generally I tip $20 per day (15-20%) This is for the BOAT CREW. DM's do not get a slice of the pie. So if you go out with a DM, or you think the DM's on the boat do a great Job, tip them individually.

Cameras: For those of you have those HUGE Camera housings, PLEASE be careful when dropping your camera into the camera tank! My little camera got pounded by one of these monsters on the last boat trip I was on and popped my housing open.

Don't complain re the dive sites. Many times, there are new OW students on the boat and the sites have to be picked accordingly, or conditions do not allow a boat to go to the originally stated site (ie Farnsworth, Santa Barbara, ect.) The DM's and Captain try to accomodate everyone.

Place dive bags on the sides or bow of the boat. Work out of your bag from this location, not in front of your tank rack.

Be quiet below deck for those that are trying to sleep.

Do not steel someone else's cart to carry your gear to/ or from the boat. Maybe you can share. Please ask.

Mo2vation:
Motivation is soley up to me. Always.

Excellent point. I assume you don't work off of tips, and in spite of that you find a way to motivate yourself. Personal pride, self respect, whatever. Which brings us around in a full circle. Why should people expect a tip, and why should we comply?

There are some people out there who find the concept of expecting a tip an affront to their self respect and honor. They do their job well solely because it's the right thing to do. Wierd, huh?

Mo2vation:
Although we're likely hijacking this thing a bit.

There are a zillion threads on this topic. This is important stuff.

---
Ken
Ken,

The tipping discussion is not a hijack. It's part of what needs to be considered and is specific to our SoCal culture.

The practice of tipping may be different in other parts of the world, but when people from other parts of the world come to California to dive, I'm hoping that they will find this thread of value. When I'm in France, some restaurants include the tip and some do not and it is clearly stated on the menu. This is part of their culture. Every place is different and I think it's important to learn the local customs.

I'm a big believer in tipping. I tip many people who don't normally get tips and they are very appreciative. I don't think that anyone should expect a tip, but think that they deserve one if they have gone above and beyond to give you proper service. I also think that they should appreciate it when they get a tip and not whine about it when they don't. If they don't get tipped then they need to reevaluate the service they are giving if they are in an industry that customarily receives gratuities.

Christian

jenazah:
Tipping in USA drives me nuts. Not because of the money, but because of these stupid unwritten rules. ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!

In my country it's simple if the guy is making minimum wage and doing hard labor. Tip them !!!! In fancy restaurant and hotel, gratuity is already included in your bill.

Even easier where I come from (well, it used to be before the USA-isms invaded :)
Tip? What's that? Bartenders have actually been known to follow someone out of the bar that left a tip, telling them they forgot their "change" :) I think those days are rapidly over.

Good points made. Not a major issue in local waters I am sure (hope) but hey it is California so to state the obvious:
1. If it is an illegal substance, leave it at home. The boat owner does not need his vessel seized over your habits and we don't want to dive a high partner.
2. If you have to smoke, bring a rubber raft and go 25 or so yards down wind of the boat. Police your own butts, and the ocean is not an ashtray. I don’t care where you are standing on the boat, if I am getting any wiff of the smoke, you need to adjust fire. It does stuff me up, and the aroma of it on you afterwards will keep me upwind to avoid being stuffed up and loosing out on diving. You have a right to smoke, but it is not required. I am required to breathe
3. Puke down wind on the downwind side of the boat.
4. Puke into the ocean, not your bunk
5. If you hunt know your species spot on and the current (updated on the net) limits and regulations as they apply and bring your fishing license with ocean stamp. if you kill it, eat it. Not sure, pass on it.
6. Have a clear shot and no shooting of anything posing for pictures. If a diver is in the target line and/or behind the target within anything near the range of the gun, don't shoot. IF visibility does not exceed the range of the gun by at least 20 feet, don't shoot.
7. If you loose you buddy and don’t find him, tell the crew and DM. Eyeball your buddy when the anchor is being pulled to be sure they are still on the boat.
8. Ask about the intended destination and be certain it is within your skill and physical conditioning levels.
9. Arrive early and ready to go. Many boats allow you to board the night before and sleep in the following morning and wake to breakfast at sea.
10. If you must bring booze, make it a 21+ year old scotch and bring enough to share after the dive is over. Single malt is fine, but a quality blended will do too.

pasley:
Good points made. Not a major issue in local waters I am sure (hope) but hey it is California so to state the obvious:
1. If it is an illegal substance, leave it at home. The boat owner does not need his vessel seized over your habits and we don't want to dive a high partner.
2. If you have to smoke, bring a rubber raft and go 25 or so yards down wind of the boat. Police your own butts, and the ocean is not an ashtray. I don’t care where you are standing on the boat, if I am getting any wiff of the smoke, you need to adjust fire. It does stuff me up, and the aroma of it on you afterwards will keep me upwind to avoid being stuffed up and loosing out on diving. You have a right to smoke, but it is not required. I am required to breathe
3. Puke down wind on the downwind side of the boat.
4. Puke into the ocean, not your bunk
5. If you hunt know your species spot on and the current (updated on the net) limits and regulations as they apply and bring your fishing license with ocean stamp. if you kill it, eat it. Not sure, pass on it.
6. Have a clear shot and no shooting of anything posing for pictures. If a diver is in the target line and/or behind the target within anything near the range of the gun, don't shoot. IF visibility does not exceed the range of the gun by at least 20 feet, don't shoot.
7. If you loose you buddy and don’t find him, tell the crew and DM. Eyeball your buddy when the anchor is being pulled to be sure they are still on the boat.
8. Ask about the intended destination and be certain it is within your skill and physical conditioning levels.
9. Arrive early and ready to go. Many boats allow you to board the night before and sleep in the following morning and wake to breakfast at sea.
10. If you must bring booze, make it a 21+ year old scotch and bring enough to share after the dive is over. Single malt is fine, but a quality blended will do too.

There is just some stuff you don't need to bring on board. Great points.

Especially number 10. It is good to share. Only bring the good stuff, leave the rotgut for the uninitiated.

jenazah:
Tipping in USA drives me nuts. Not because of the money, but because of these stupid unwritten rules. You'll go nuts trying to figure out when to tip.
You tip the restaurant waitress but not fast food waitress. You tip the pizza delivery guy, but not the furniture guy. You tip the car wash but not the laundry.

OK here is some general rule that I come up with:
1. Anything that deals with food, you need to tip. Except, when the dude is behind the counter and you have to walk to him to order. Unless if they have a tip jar off course.
2. Any non medical service that required touching you, you need to tip. Massage, haircut, manicure, lap dance. :eyebrow: .
3. Anything that deals with car, except sales or mechanic, you need to tip. Carwash, taxi, valet parking. Unless if the guy just sitting in a parking booth.
4. Anything fun, you need to tip. Tour guides, dive boats, fishing boats, sightseeing tour, lap dance.

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!

In my country it's simple if the guy is making minimum wage and doing hard labor. Tip them !!!! In fancy restaurant and hotel, gratuity is already included in your bill.

Well Im glad I got clarification. I do tend to agree with jenazah. I guess I will tip then on the boat dives. If thats what most people do, Im down. I do tip for the people jenazah mentioned. I just dont want to be the person who doesnt when you're supposed to.
Motivation I'm in sales too and I feel you there...I would be
poor and jobless if I relied on my employers for motivation.

But I have to disagree about tipping just about everyone else that you mentioned.
You may think its nice to tip anyone for anything, but it is not nice when you are expected to because the guy before did. The people just expect it then, and also in some cases they are sour to the people who dont. You may think youre being a nice person, but that makes the next guy a jerk!

John

Diver_Jan:
Place dive bags on the sides or bow of the boat. Work out of your bag from this location, not in front of your tank rack.

This, too, may vary depending upon the boat in question, so when in doubt, ASK.

On the tip front, I suspect most crews aren't paid a lot. I'm not sure how the tip kitty is split on boats. I'm not sure anybody makes a living as a DM out here, but it's a whole day of effort, but the risk taken is more than that of a barista. Unless, of course, it's my first cup of the day...that's really dangerous.

how bout some other issues I haven't heard covered. In so-cal is it improper to bring two tanks? What about if you were diving doubles? Do you leave your BC attached to your tank when getting it filled, or should you bring the cylinder separate?

Justin699:
how bout some other issues I haven't heard covered. In so-cal is it improper to bring two tanks? What about if you were diving doubles? Do you leave your BC attached to your tank when getting it filled, or should you bring the cylinder separate?
Dive boats fall into one of 3 catagories on air.

!. They provide the tanks (some boats do, many do not).
2. You bring all the tanks you need for the number of planned (advertised) dives as they do not have an onboard compressor.
3. They have an compressor on the boat (common on larger boats). Bring only one tank and leave it connected to the BC. To get a fill, remove yoke, and place a signal device (usally a braided ring) on the valve. They use a whip which will fill your tank were it sets with out the need to move a lot of tanks around on busy boat deck. When the tank is filled they will remove the braided ring. Be sure to check the tank before you dive and your guages. Ocasionaly things happen and they remove the ring and as they start to attach the whip somone ask a questioin and then when the come back to it they start on the next tank. Ooops!. :11:

Point of ediquite, don't talk to the person handling the whip. You might distract them.

Doubles on a dive boat. Unless it was a tech dive charter I would probably leave the doubles home. You will only get bottom time equal to the single tank divers anyway as everyone else will want to move on to a new dive site.

Plan most dives off a boat for 60 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom