Dive boat modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Now that our boat is finally back in the slip, I cleaned up the greasy footprints from being in the boatyard for two months. We're still waiting for the dealer to program the starboard motor so the gauge can communicate with it. I forgot to include an external speaker I installed for the VHF radio. It now comes in loud and clear.

Wow! That is one awesome dive-boat right there... Obviously a lot of time and planning went into making it exactly what works! :cheers:

Not just the boat, and the redundancy of the dual power plants, but your dive ladder system and tank management is awesome.. !!!!!

Nice looking boat. I like C Dorys. I see a ton of them up in Isle Royale.

The swing ladder was a particular struggle. Our original ladder was a simple slide into place straight up and down ladder. I got tired of having to pull it back aboard after every dive and store it in the head. I bought an Armstrong swing bracket, but that involved drilling through stainless steel and trying bolts and padlocks to keep it on the bracket. Finally, I found a welding shop that took my idea for a swing canister and modified it. It's been perfect ever since we installed it.
1671849944622.png

It's five feet long, so it can still be seen quite a ways. There are a lot of private boats here with dive flags, so most boaters know what it is without seeing the white stripe. The wind usually picks up around 11:00 each morning, so the flat is rarely limp.

She looks awesome... And having a nice berth is great for overnights.
Not that I know a whole lot about types of steel and stainless steel, but had experience with a stainless steel #35 roller chain offset link not being as strong as high carbon steel. All the rollers in the high carbon steel chain held up, but the stainless steel roller in the offset link crushed and the chain jumped a sprocket.

OK, My small boat I use galvanized steel. I'm not looking to replace it with stainless steel, but became interested about stainless steel anchor chain in seeing your video.

When I read about stainless steel ankor chain I decided to do some research.

Seem not all stainless steel is equally strong. Noticing Austenitic vs Martinsitic Stainless Steel. Martinsitic Stainless Steel is stronger.

Is there something you know of the stainless steel type in anchor chain?

I would not think anchor chain would be sold of material that is not right for it, though I felt the more information one has could possibly be useful.

Back
Top Bottom