Dive boat modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that I know a whole lot about types of steel and stainless steel, but had experience with a stainless steel #35 roller chain offset link not being as strong as high carbon steel. All the rollers in the high carbon steel chain held up, but the stainless steel roller in the offset link crushed and the chain jumped a sprocket.

OK, My small boat I use galvanized steel. I'm not looking to replace it with stainless steel, but became interested about stainless steel anchor chain in seeing your video.

When I read about stainless steel ankor chain I decided to do some research.

Seem not all stainless steel is equally strong. Noticing Austenitic vs Martinsitic Stainless Steel. Martinsitic Stainless Steel is stronger.

Is there something you know of the stainless steel type in anchor chain?

I would not think anchor chain would be sold of material that is not right for it, though I felt the more information one has could possibly be useful.
Seems my first search I had not noticed mention of Marine Grade Stainless Steel AISI 316. It is Austenitic, and I read it has better corrosion resistance than the Martensitic Stainless Steel. So there is a trade off. In my circumstances with high speed roller chain with high torque, high carbon steel is fine as I use chain lube. This not for marine environment.

The two common varieties of small anchor chains are BBB and G4. Hi-test G4 is much stronger than BBB. Stainless chain doesn't rust or corrode easily. Regular steel chain links can develop sharp edges which will cut dry gloves. It's also easier to see stainless chain and anchor in poor vis, plus it's prettier. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom