Dive computer for deaf diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My computer has no audible alarms whatsoever and I have never got into difficulties as a result. Years ago there was no such thing as dive computers and people had to plan their dives and monitor their depth and time on a mechanical depth gauge and watch. There are still people who choose to dive in this manner and do so safely. The answer is to monitor your instruments more often and don't be reliant on alarms going off.

Review on LP website:

I have Tinnitus and can't hear high frequency audible alarms very well. I actually went into DECO because of this on a Suunto (I was on air and the others on Nitrox...no one knew and I was so busy taking pictures I relied on the DM and other divers. Fortunately it was the first dive and there was no DC sickness. Lesson learned: take care of myself and not rely on others). The IQ-850 has a vibrating alarm and notification system like on a cell phone that works really well; I can easily feel it through my wetsuit sleeve. No more divers looking around to see who's alarm is going off. I can now notice my reminders and warnings in silence. 

I'll soon get the USB software transfer system now that I've successfully installed Parallels and W7 on my Mac (only used 10GB memory). It's really the only option and solution for Mac. Unlike the other user who had so much trouble with his IQ-850, mine has been flawless over 60 dives and a year of use. The only issue I've had is the display light on mine is very poor, I'm unable to light up the display on a night dive. Apparently this was a known issue on a certain batch of IQ-850's. Now that I'm home I've contacted TUSA on the matter and they said it's a known issue and to send it in to repair/exchange. They responded within hours and issued me an RMA; excellent customer service in my opinion. 

It's human to error and if you can't hear the alarms, it limits the use of a DC. If you have Tinnitus or hearing problems, this is the dive computer to get; it’s the only one I know that vibrates.

Whoever wrote that is blaming Suunto for their own shortcomings. There is a saying that I have heard a few times and like to use myself - 'diving is safe, as long as you remember it is dangerous'. If you cannot take responsibility for your own safety, you really need to change your ways or you should not be diving. The person writing that review relied on other divers and a computer, and both failed to grab him, shake him and tell him he has exceeded NDL.

MD,

Llooks like I should take a writing course :) The above review is actually in agreement with you on responsibility; there was no blame on equipment or other persons. I guess you missed the part on the confession and lesson learned of the need to take care of oneself and not rely on others actions. Sometimes one has to FU for a wake-up call. I'm sure I'm not the only person, especially beginning divers, who got lazy counting on the DM when they first started diving. People error and hopefully learn from the experience. For those who are deaf and/or hard of hearing , they should take your excellent advise AND look at the option of using a vibrating computer for the moments when one makes a mistake, either from lack of experience or excitement from such. One shouldn't rely on a computer, but they have alarms and the ability to set dive planning notifications for reasons; even experienced divers and DM's make mistakes. They can also be useful tools outside of alarm warnings. The threads original author was asking for information on a computer that vibrated out of concern for a deaf friend. The review was on aspects of the vibrating TUSA IQ-850, it's pro and cons, and why it could have helped when one cannot hear reminders or warnings on audible computers, such as the Suunto that was in use at the time of my early diving days FU. MY FU mind you (as stated in the review), no fault of Suunto (I love my Gekko still and still have it as a back-up). There are a lot of good divers who love this vibrating function, I being one of them. It hardly ever vibrates these days for the reasons you stated, except as a reminder to let me know I'm halfway through my dive or for setting maximum safe limits with Nitrox (I took the training so I wouldn't be the odd man out again). The passion of photography can do that to you.

I am severely hearing impaired and am looking for a dive computer with alarms that vibrate. I obtained my AOW this Summer and have been using dive tables for my dives. I was wondering if anyone knew of such a dive computer.

I have a watch with alarms and timers that vibrate and it works well for using the old "noodle" with dive tables but I would like to upgrade.

Any ideas?

Sharon

You need a computer that is rebreather-compatible and can drive a HUD with vibrating alarms.
heads up display

I do not know if a rebreather is needed, or just one of the more expensive computers.

Thank you for all of the input. Since I have never heard an alarm, I wasn't sure if anyone used them or not. I really appreciate all of the input. Charley, you REALLY got specific and I appreciate that too!

Sharon

I think it's just a dummy system that makes bad divers. You should always be checking your gauges periodically.

I would just get the one with the best display and options for your needs and leave it at that. There are some wonderful full color displays out there with huge screens (Shearwater Pretrel, Liquivision (various models), etc.) that make great easy to read displays. I have the Petrel myself and absolutely love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom