Dive computer redundancy? Anyone used this depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many of you dive redundant setups? I would assume most.
Just picked up my first wireless computer, an Aeris Elite T3. I have a little Mares SPG clipped onto my BC, a wrist watch as a stopwatch/bottom timer and I'm about to order a wrist mounted depth gauge. Good to have in case of computer failure? Then of course a compass on the other arm. Can't wait to see how ridiculous I look with 2 items on each wrist haha How do you guys wear your setups?

I figure computer and depth gauge on wrist opposite BC inflator (right), and the compass and wrist watch on the left side.

Aeris Wrist Depth Gauge reviews and discounts, Aeris (comes to $61 shipped)

Anybody own one of these? Face/layout pretty nice? Can't really justify spending $90 on the Oceanic or Sherwood if this one is fine.

Sherwood 200' Wrist Gauge, DG200AT (free shipping/no tax)

I can see having a watch as a redundant time piece but redundant depth gauge and SPG? You're not doing cave or wreck diving. If your computer were to conk out then just surface.

What's the point of getting a hoseless air integrated computer only to strap on more gears and hoses?

If using a back up computer you might want to get one that uses a different algorithm and therefore has a different safety margin, and then you can compare the two and have a more conservative dive when you want. I use an Oceanic but it is one of the most liberal computers so I don’t push it to deco. As for a bottom timer, I do think that a good two gas computer with gauge mode is a better choice.. that way you have it all and easily under $200. (I’ll sell you one for $150!)

I'm completely the opposite, I want all my computers to have the SAME algorithm, or for them to have some user adjustability such that there is pretty good overlap/consistency between their readings versus having the computers 'in conflict' with each other.

Back
Top Bottom