Dive computer redundancy? Anyone used this depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, as mentioned above, I intend on a dive trip to Cozumel here in a few months. God forbid my computer did have an issue, using the depth gauge and timer I can use tables to figure out where I am for a repetitive dive, or better yet, forget the depth gauge and just get a Veo 100 wrist mount for $140 so it doesn't ruin an expensive day of diving.
I tend to dive nitrox on multi-day repetitive dive vacations. If you are going to go to the trouble of buying a backup dive computer, it might be best to look at one that is nitrox-capable, as sea_ledford suggested. I don't believe that the Veo 100 has that feature.

parzdiver pointed out that a nice computer feature is gauge mode. I have to agree. If you ever get into technical diving, the "dumbed-down" computer could serve as a bottom timer. Just something to think about.

I have 3 computes, so I can wear a 2nd computer at no cost, yet I seldom do. Finishing the dive without a computer due to failure is no big deal if you dive right and stay within NDL, solo or buddy diving.

I really only think of one situation where I wold choose to, that being a dive trip with multiple dives per day where a loss of computer would be expensive in terms of lost or reduced diving later the same day.

The the situation, diving beyond NDL requires more training, gear and skill beyond tossing more gear on.

Exactly, and I think that's what I'm going to do. Just pick up a cheap Oceanic Veo 100 NX as a backup for trips as you just stated. That along with my SPG I'll be able to continue diving in case the issue is more than just a battery on my primary computer.

I have a Veo 100 NX in a console with an SPG and a compass that I could just buy a wrist boot for but I'd hate to use the computer only and see the rest of the console go to waste when I could give it to a friend that's about to get certified, or sell it to someone else who could use the unit as a whole, and just buy a wrist mounted Veo when the time comes.

Soooo, no need to jump into it now since I'm not planning on a dive trip for another few months.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers guys :cool2:

If using a back up computer you might want to get one that uses a different algorithm and therefore has a different safety margin, and then you can compare the two and have a more conservative dive when you want. I use an Oceanic but it is one of the most liberal computers so I don’t push it to deco. As for a bottom timer, I do think that a good two gas computer with gauge mode is a better choice.. that way you have it all and easily under $200. (I’ll sell you one for $150!)

Isn't this kinda similar to having a primary, an Octo and an AIR2 hooked up? lol
Last time I was in Coz I had my Edy2, and my buddies Cobra1. Bo I'd have to agree with Gdon's comment about using 2 different Algos. Now I have my Edy2 and analog gauges. Nothing wrong with the redundancy, although for Rec diving it's Not a must since you can easily call the dive if there's a problem. But lets admit that just SUCKS. Hell I'm all for rocking a Wrist mount, Air Integrated Console, and Analogs I can have tucked back I.C.E.

Non-wireless, air-integrated computer (Sherwood Wisdom 2) on HP hose, wrist mounted gauge-only/bottom timer (Egana NG705GWSK, $65.00 on closeout) as backup. Simple, cheap, effective redundancy for a non-deco, open water rec diver.

My reasoning for 2 computers vs a computer and back up guages and table is most of the time (especially in vacation type settings) you'll bust the tables on your first dive if you are following a multilevel computer dive (Lets see, 120 feet for 30 minutes... hmmm what letter am I again?), so you would be out for the day anyway. Only needs to happen once for the computer to pay for itself emotionally, if not financially. And I have yet to own a computer that hasn't failed on me underwater at some point or another. Actually my back up Oceanic Geo hasn't failed yet, but I have jumped in with it on guage mode resulting in no back up computer for 48 hours.

I guess that would be filed under "diver failure" but the result is the same. :D

The difference is getting out of the dive you are currently on safely (no prob with guages or even a buddies comp) vs continuing to dive the rest of the day.

The difference is getting out of the dive you are currently on safely (no prob with guages or even a buddies comp) vs continuing to dive the rest of the day.

True - that is a very succinct summary of the difference in philosophy. I treat my primary dive computer as a critical piece of equipment, the digital gauge is just to successfully get me safely back to the surface if the primary fails, not necessarily something that will allow me to continue subsequently diving without the computer. Although depending on the particular situation I might or might not feel comfortable switching to a table.

Nevertheless, if indeed you're talking about complete redundancy then you're absolutely correct that you need two independent computers; don't fall into the trap of getting two similar wireless AI units that depend upon one transmitter!

If using a back up computer you might want to get one that uses a different algorithm and therefore has a different safety margin, and then you can compare the two and have a more conservative dive when you want. I use an Oceanic but it is one of the most liberal computers so I don’t push it to deco. As for a bottom timer, I do think that a good two gas computer with gauge mode is a better choice.. that way you have it all and easily under $200. (I’ll sell you one for $150!)

I will consider that. Info on the computer you're selling?

What exactly is Gauge mode and how will it help with repetitive dives if my primary goes down? Why is that better than a regular ole computer? Just got the T3 in yesterday.

For most this will look odd at first I'm sure, but....

Recreational on a trip
  • Two complete dive computers

Technical
  • One computer in gauge

During an overhead-restricted dive, my redundant depth gauge is on my buddy. Just turn the dive and make them the deco captain. No big deal.

However, during a recreational trip, losing the computer puts me out of the water for a day - no thanks! I came around the world to dive my butt off. It's cheaper to carry two. One is on the wrist, the other in a pocket.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom