Dive computer sensitivity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Twitchy" is a good word LOL. I thought I had it under better control until my son and I went diving with the GoPro. What a rude awakening, no style points for me! Getting better, but still a ways to go.
@gcarter: Just go out there and have fun! We were all twitchy newbies at one point. I remember one of my friends, when he was recently certified, invented a maneuver called the "death spiral" (inverted with head-down/feet-up while kicking and flapping arms) which he did towards the end of the dive in order to stay down because he was underweighted. After a couple of dives of that nonsense, we had him do a proper weight check.

If your progression in the sport is anything like mine...
  • At 50 dives, you'll feel you've nailed the buoyancy thing. Your gas consumption will have improved considerably. Shortly thereafter, you'll get a drysuit and the entire buoyancy control learning process will start over.
  • At 100 dives, you'll once again feel pretty confident in your abilities.
  • Somewhere between Dive #100 and Dive #200, you'll encounter a serious scuba-related problem and it will shake you up. After that point, you'll realize how dangerous the sport can be, and you'll likely change your diving habits for the better because of it.
:D

My wrist mounted Uwatec is sensitive. When I reach up when ascending, it will put the arrow icon on the dive profile indicating I ascended too rapidly. I have to smile when I am six feet from the surface and reach for the ladder and it will do it.

My Aeris is sensitive, but its good practice to try not setting off the ascent sensor alarm. The main thing for all divers is to ascend slowly, and I bet you may not be always be doing so as it takes practice. Newer divers tend to go up in spurts and that is likely to trigger the ascent alarm. Some can not stop themselves when they reach 15' and go right to the surface. It is always interesting to dive with new divers. You can generally pinpoint issues right away and the new diver is not always aware of these issues. If you have a way of reviewing you computer log take a look at overall ascent rate. Most new divers ascend too quickly. Also, are you Horizontal? You should be if possible.

Here's a thought: during ascent, if you're doing a vertical ascent, your wrist is going to have to move 2 feet or so for you to be able to read the computer. Stationary, it should take you 4 seconds to move your wrist that far to not violate a 30ft/min ascent rate, but you're not stationary, you're ascending. The computer is already registering an ascent rate before you started moving it, which might increase the rate it perceives beyond the set threshold even if you do it slowly. If you want to watch your ascent rate, hold your arm in such a way that you can see it without having to move it too much up or down.

As far as it going off when you're swimming, are you possibly kicking up and over something? My Veo 3.0 will sometimes bug me about that.

I don't know how much leeway it gives you before setting off an alarm when it calculates ascent rates, but it does seem annoyingly sensitive sometimes.

However, if you scuba dive holding your hands together in front of you, not only will it help you getting rid of the butterfly syndrome but also enable you to constantly be able to read the screen of your dive computer just by looking down and not moving a thing.

However, if you scuba dive holding your hands together in front of you, not only will it help you getting rid of the butterfly syndrome but also enable you to constantly be able to read the screen of your dive computer just by looking down and not moving a thing.

That is what I am trying to get to. The two things I am focussing on when I dive are my bouyancy and minimizing movement.

Wear it on your other arm. My Veo 200 has slowed me down from the 60fpm that I was trained on back in the day to 30 fpm and is getting me to do safety stops on occation. It still hates arm movements so don't use it with the arm you use to deal with problems.

Since it dosen't lock up my computer I look at it as an an annoyance rather than a situation.

Other than that a great little computer.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I turned off the audible alarm on my Aeris as not to further annoy or distract me from the dive.

It's been a long time since I've used a computer in computer mode that had an ascent rate alarm, but I remember my Suunto used to do the same thing. I think that level of sensitivity is not uncommon.

MyDive Rite does the same thing. I believe it is the computer settings

Back
Top Bottom