Dive Computer Software Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. The Uwatec software looks fantastic. I see they also have PDA versions I can run on my Treo. Would periodically save taking a lap top. Thanks for the tip: I will check the Smart series out.

Cheers,

Dan

Running the software on my Treo, and wirelessly beaming (no proprietary cables needed!) my logs into my phone after a dive, is one of my greatest joys in life. :D

I'm using OceanLog 1.X on a serial connection and a Versa Pro and never have any problem downloading. That being said, I found OceanLog lacking in many areas and now I export everything to Scubase.

Scubase also allowed me to merge the files from my Suunto Solution, Oceanic DataPlus, and now the Versa Pro into a single file. Scubase has a trial version you can import ten dives with to see the functionality. It's about the best $50 I ever sent on dive gear IMO (and no, I don't work for Scubase, I just think it's great product).

danclem:
How do you like the Uwatec computer? I dive with a friend who has one, and he lokes his, but says there is a steep learning curve to learning the functions.

I like it quite a bit. I prefer numbers to graphics where my life is concerned and that I watch my no deco time separate from the estimated air time. I think the learning curve for me with the change from the pro plus was just getting used to the screen and display of information. The log is pretty easy and I bought an aftermarket infra red reader to down load to my desk top ($25 at Frye's electric). The computer has stopped cold on me twice. The first time I was on vacation sent it back to the manufacturer and they claimed there was a software glitch in the early models, reprogramed it and returned it with a new battery. The second time it froze up -recently- I returned it and they simply replaced it with no explanation. I can't remember how many dives I have with it, maybe 250 or so. I use a bottom timer as a back up.

One of the key differences if you get the wrist mount Uwatec instead of say the Suuto Vytec is that the Uwatec only requires mating to the transponder once where the Vytec requires it each time you dive.

Hi Brian:

I had no problems with version 1 of OceanLog. It was after the 2.x up-grade I started having issues: corrupt dive transfers (looks like this is a USB cable issue); no back-up routine, different dive information when I downloaded dives on different computers. One agreed with my paper notes, the other did not. The export utility is text, and the import is MDB, which to me is a critical flaw. Version 1.x did not suffer from this issue, so you might want to stay with this version.

Thanks for the info, but the more I look at the Uwatec the more impressed I am. They even have a Mac version for folks who are Apple oriented.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi JBB:

Thanks for the comparison. I am looking at wrist models. We were off of Zee's Reef a couple of weeks back and I noticed the individual dive mating with the Suunto models. Underwatersports is being great about a swap, so hopefully I can get back to a reliable system prior to the Galapagos in June.

Thanks,

Dan

danclem:
Wow. The Uwatec software looks fantastic. I see they also have PDA versions I can run on my Treo. Would periodically save taking a lap top. Thanks for the tip: I will check the Smart series out.
Cheers,
Dan

I run the "Travel Trak" for for PPC (as well as SmartTrak), it works pretty good; It was a little tricky to get set up on the Ipaq, but works now. The dives do not sync with the PC version but it is convenient. And you could change settings on your Smart with it.

Bob in CO

Bonuss:
I run the "Travel Trak" for for PPC (as well as SmartTrak), it works pretty good; It was a little tricky to get set up on the Ipaq, but works now. The dives do not sync with the PC version but it is convenient. And you could change settings on your Smart with it.

Bob in CO
That's surprising...the PPC version doesn't send it's info to the SmartTrak desktop PC version? The version for the Palm links with the SmartTrak and everytime you add dives and then sync to the computer, the next time you fire up SmartTrak is sees the new info and offers to import it... which it then does.

CompuDude:
That's surprising...the PPC version doesn't send it's info to the SmartTrak desktop PC version? The version for the Palm links with the SmartTrak and everytime you add dives and then sync to the computer, the next time you fire up SmartTrak is sees the new info and offers to import it... which it then does.

I'll buy that; according to the UWATEC website:
"In addition the newest SmartTrak software version available as download from the Uwatec home page supports the import of TravelTrak logbooks."

I just need to play with it more and/or likely update my SmartTrak (PC software); as my version is probably older than that described above. It was one of the features I was looking for!

My PPC version is actually newer than available on the UWATEC site. It was written privately originally. (I don't want newer, it was just not on the UWATEC site when I downloaded it). From UWATEC site "TravelTrak CE is a joint development. The application has been written by Helge Suess of Vienna, Austria."

(this is only interesting to scubadiver nerds)

Bob in CO

Scubadiver nerds like me. :)

TravelTrak for Palm OS is actually AquaDiveLog, a freeware app (aquadivelog.org) with a plugin to read the Uwatec datastream. It's been updated by the writers several times since the original Uwatec tie-in; I'm running the most current version and it works great, but it has imported into SmartTrak from the original version no prob.

And now that I check the home page, I see new updates, so I'm off to install the latest and greatest. Good luck with yours!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom