Dive Computer Software Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfCoastdiver:
Dose anyone have any experience with Suunto cobra and there dive manager software?
Or a better and compatable software.
I do, uninstalled this piece of crap after using it for one day. Since then using DivingLog4 and completely satisfied with this software.

The Cochran Software was written for people to study for decades of how NOT to write software...it is friggin HORRIBLE, however the computer is awesome.......

The Suunto SDM is okay, not great though. I've never have any major problem with it except sometime it won't communicate with the dive computer (I use Cobra and Mosquito with a RS232 data cable and a USB-RS232 convertor cable), I think was due to the use of the RE232-USB convertor. In general I like the older version (v1.6) better than the new version (v2.05). In fact I found Diving Log 4.0 is better than the SDM. I am in process of switching everything over to Diving Log 4. Diving log also has a PPC version but never try it. I found it is just too much trouble to bring my Windows Mobile Phone to the dive boat and download my dive data during SI. I would rather take a nap. :)

GulfCoastdiver:
Dose anyone have any experience with Suunto cobra and there dive manager software?
Or a better and compatable software.
I've been using the Cobra and SDM for 3-1/2 years now. The only problems I've had is my new laptop doesn't have a serial port, so I have to go through a USB-Serial conversion, and sometimes the SDM can't find the right IRQ on my computer, similar to the problem mrdohc mentioned.

I have both versions 1.6 and versions 2.5.0 on my computer, and keep both databases current. I like the interface of 1.6 better, but 2.5.0 gives me a couple of other data points that 1.6 doesn't, like temperature and consumption rate/time. I don't have any syncing problems with Version 1.6. When Version 2.X first came out it was really buggy. Keep checking back on Suunto's web page - they're constantly updating the the version 2 software. As of today the latest version is 2.5.0.165, and is pretty solid (at least for my Cobra).

ScubaDiving magazine did a software comparison a year or so back. You might check their web page.

Jerry

danclem:
They even have a Mac version for folks who are Apple oriented.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

:D

danclem:
I am getting ready to switch computers and would appreciate any words of wisdom from divers on their experience, good and bad, with various brands and software. Suunto Dive Manager appears a good deal more robust than Oceanlog, but I would like to hear from actual users.
I use SDM with my Vytec. Version 1.6 was great, the next version (2.1) was terrible, and the version (2.3) is OK. Haven't looked at 2.5 yet. The downloads are actually fairly straightforward, tne installation relatively simple. Would I like an even more simple USB interface - sure. But, SDM works well for me.

I dive with a Uwatec Smart Tec, and a smart Z as a back-up. The Data trak software is great, and very user friendly. Instead of the $100 Ir interface from Uwatec I went to Frys and got a USB IR for $18 bucks and they all talk to each other really nice.

My log book is great. It provides me with all the important data which is user customizable, has a cool graph that shows me the dive with notes included, and you can also put pictures into the page.

I am VERY Impressed with it.....

Rhino_Portland_Oregon:
I dive with a Uwatec Smart Tec, and a smart Z as a back-up. The Data trak software is great, and very user friendly. Instead of the $100 Ir interface from Uwatec I went to Frys and got a USB IR for $18 bucks and they all talk to each other really nice.

My log book is great. It provides me with all the important data which is user customizable, has a cool graph that shows me the dive with notes included, and you can also put pictures into the page.

I am VERY Impressed with it.....
Just don't expect to print anything worthwhile. :(

(My only complaint, I must say)

With both my Aeris Epic and Genesis React Pro the software is pretty lame. I may write a new front end in Access for both.

Stan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom