Dive computer ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just retired my Cobra from 2000 this past week. I gave it to my best friend! I do love my new VT3. :D

OneBadBusa:
I got an ORCA Phoenix, 2 dry suits, a wet suit, 4 aluminum 80's, 2 sets of regs, back pack, bag and 3 BC's had them all checked out and re hydro'd for under a $1000.
Not too bad I hope. You can be honest I can take it.

Well, You did good on the suits as long as they fit :wink: How good a deal you got on the regs depends on what they are and how well they were maintained. bag and backpack depend on features size and condition, Al tanks are a good bad deal - if they are more than a few ( ~ 10) years old it can be hard to get fills. I'm not famiuar with the orca pheonix so I'm not sure how well you did there. All in all I think you did fine.

OneBadBusa:
At the family cookout yesterday an instructor was invited. Of course I spent a lot of time asking lots of DFQ's. Told him about the unbelievable deal I got off EBay. He told me I shouldn't use a dive computer that's over 5 years old and he made a lot of sense as to why not. What do others feel about this? I don't have the luxury of his yearly income but I do also have a console without a computer in it.:confused:
well, beside the questionable "luxury" of a instructors income, every single one of my computers is older than 5 yrs at this point. i dont see anything wrong with it. as for any other piece of equipment - service and maintanance rules apply!!!
that means basically, also your divecomputer may be (depending on the mfg) due every year or two for a checkup and "readjusting". while as rugged as any other piece of gear this days - just because it is still working doesnt mean it is working accurately. so battery changes are not enough. my computers go in for regular check ups. after all i depend with my health / life on them to a certain point. so anyway, there are no dfq's to begin with and your instructor buddy has a certain point. but do you throw your regulator away because it is toooooo old? nope you get it serviced! do the same with your dive computers and respect their limits (depending on model and age) and you should be fine.

LSDeep:
that means basically, also your divecomputer may be (depending on the mfg) due every year or two for a checkup and "readjusting".
Forgive my ignorance... but this is the FIRST I have heard of this. Which manufacturer(s) suggests this practice?

NetDoc:
Forgive my ignorance... but this is the FIRST I have heard of this. Which manufacturer(s) suggests this practice?
I'm pretty sure that recommendation is in the manual for my Oceanic Data Plus 2 computer, and I'll bet it's buried in the manual of a lot of others. Kind of a general escape of liability clause for the manufacturer if someone gets bent by a computer reading the wrong depth.

Look at the manual for your BCD. You might find that the mfg wants you to take it to a dealer for service every year also.

NetDoc:

Many, if not all, do.
see: Suunto vyper manual page 57.

It seems really silly to take your stuff in and watch perfeclty goodparts come out and new parts go in then shell out the cash for the service, but I know the crap is going to work.

My puter is overdue for service I am sure... but it is more of back up than a ruler anyhow.

My Edge from 1984 works just as well as my 2005 Oceanic. I use it as a backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom