Dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am a big fan of the Suunto computers; I have an old Vyper which I prefer to the Vyper II, actually. For basic recreational diving, the new Zoop - which is basically the old Gekko and Vyper merged and rebranded - is by far and away, in my opinion, top of the pile.

Downloading dive data? If you're interested or you have a reason to (some form of underwater research perhaps) then that's a nice feature but on the whole it's not important to me.

I personally don't like wristwatch dive computers - I like a big underwater computer face, with a light for night, easy to use, conservative is good given that I dive for a living, and like most, if not all, of my colleagues, air integration is something that happens to other people. Needles and dials baby, all the way.

For the wristwatch then the D4 would be the most suitable Suunto product, but that's beyond your price range. My advice would be to go for the Zoop and spend the money you save on a decent analogue dive watch.

Cheers

C.

I personally don't like wristwatch dive computers - I like a big underwater computer face, with a light for night, easy to use, conservative is good given that I dive for a living, and like most, if not all, of my colleagues, air integration is something that happens to other people. Needles and dials baby, all the way.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way about air integration, Crowley. I'm a systems administrator, and one thing I've learned in my career is that computers absolutely will fail at the worst possible time. If it's your dive computer, then you abort the dive and call it a day. If you're depending on that computer to tell you how much air you have left, that just might be it for you. I'll stick to analog air gauges.

Kristopher

I can't say much about the Suuntos computers other folks are talking about but I I can say I own a Aries XR-1 and I thought it worked out great. It does not have a back light but does have everything else you would want in a cheap good computer. Computers are one of those things that you get what you pay for but I always thought that this little guy gave a little more.. I now dive with oceanic datamax and lice that one much more. I soon will be getting a Atomic Cobalt thou:D just as soon as I get the money, Anyone want a kidney???

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way about air integration, Crowley. I'm a systems administrator, and one thing I've learned in my career is that computers absolutely will fail at the worst possible time. If it's your dive computer, then you abort the dive and call it a day. If you're depending on that computer to tell you how much air you have left, that just might be it for you. I'll stick to analog air gauges.

Kristopher

Oddly enough, before I became a dive instructor, I was... a systems administrator...! :D

C.

DevonDiver,

What do you think of the D9? I got one a while ago and just started using it recently. I find that the numbers are more difficult to read U/W especially the ones in the lower right hand corner. Also, I don't find the compass feature practical even though I am all for electronics.

I've not had any issues reading the D9 screen. I find that the display is very clear and sharp, even if it is smaller. I've only had it since I moved to Asia a few years ago, but it has been on lots of low viz wreck dives. It's very clear with the backlight on also.

I only got the D9 because it was available on a special instructor promo at silly money. Otherwise I'd still be using the vyper and my Apeks Quantum for most of my dives.

Obviously, the vyper/vytec/gekko/zoop have a larger screen... and I used my vyper in all sort of conditions and viz when I was back in the UK, diving salt and freshwater.

My only criticism of the D9 is that you cannot opt for both deep and safety stops... , that the rubber strap is not long lasting and expensive to replace, that it doesn't give stops in seconds, and that you can't access the stopwatch function underwater. The digital compass could be improved too....

I was in the same boat as you... I ended up finding a used Oceanic VT Pro with the wireless adapter for $300 on the 'for sale' section of these forums.

You may be able to find a similar deal between SB, ScubaToys and Craigslist.

I can't say much about the Suuntos computers other folks are talking about but I I can say I own a Aries XR-1 and I thought it worked out great. It does not have a back light but does have everything else you would want in a cheap good computer. Computers are one of those things that you get what you pay for but I always thought that this little guy gave a little more.. I now dive with oceanic datamax and lice that one much more. I soon will be getting a Atomic Cobalt thou:D just as soon as I get the money, Anyone want a kidney???

People can get kidneys a lot cheaper in Pakistan, India and now China!!! I know that a lot of people in the Middle East go to Pakistan for kidneys. China became another country that offers spare body parts including livers. Chinese are trying to make their country as a "Health Care Body Parts Replacement Vacation" type of place.

Actually, I have several computers (all air integrated) that I'll be selling when I am back home in Boston including Cobra, Stinger, Cochran and a couple of others I don't remember what they are now.

Another to keep in mind when looking at a nice, basic, economical computer is the Oceanic Veo 1.0 Wrist computer. It has all the basics you want in an reletively inexpensive, entry level computer, user changeable batteries, nitrox programmability, as well as the ability to change between liberal or conservative algorithms as you get more experience and want to possibly alter your profiles.

Back
Top Bottom