Dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel like I'm the only one on SB that ever uses Cressi. I use the Cressi Archimedes II wrist computer. It is a two gas computer (which Zoop and Vyper aren't) for deco when/if you ever get to that. It has a backlight (which Zoop doesn't) which makes it easy to see in low light. And, it is only $259.00 brand new with full factory warranty. I know that divers are very brand loyal but, this might be an option you want to check into. I feel that it falls in the middle when it comes to how aggressive or conservative the algorithm is. More aggressive than Suunto but, more coservative than the Oceanic models (I am not an expert on this just based on my internet research). To sum it up, I love my wrist model and my wife loves her console model. Happy diving no matter what you decide to get.

I have an Oceanic VEO 250. I really like it a lot. Simple to use with one main button and a scroll button on the side. It can probably be gotten pretty cheap now since they have replaced them with the new VEO's(1.0, 2.0, 3.0). The only thing I didn't like about it is that you had to buy the download cable separately to transfer the dive information and profiles to your computer and it was rather expensive, ~$100 I think but other than that, this computer suits me just fine.

I'll add another vote for the the oceanic computers, nice computers and mine was cheap < $200, I can't think of which it is but when your looking the price should tell you. It does air and nitrox, and tracks dive history, but only the last 10 or 20 dives I think so you still need a back up log book.

I'll add another vote for the the oceanic computers, nice computers and mine was cheap < $200, I can't think of which it is but when your looking the price should tell you. It does air and nitrox, and tracks dive history, but only the last 10 or 20 dives I think so you still need a back up log book.

I would really look into getting the cable. I know its probably half as much what you paid for the computer but it gives valuable information that you cannot see on the dive computer. Another thing you really can't compare a dive table log to a computer log due to the computer is constantly taking into account depth changes thus giving you more bottom time. The dive table method you normally use your deepest depth for the whole dive even if you were only at it for 2 mins over a 60 minute dive.

I have an Oceanic VEO 250. I really like it a lot. Simple to use with one main button and a scroll button on the side. It can probably be gotten pretty cheap now since they have replaced them with the new VEO's(1.0, 2.0, 3.0). The only thing I didn't like about it is that you had to buy the download cable separately to transfer the dive information and profiles to your computer and it was rather expensive, ~$100 I think but other than that, this computer suits me just fine.

I use the Veo 1.0, works awsome and its easy on the wallet, lol

I feel like I'm the only one on SB that ever uses Cressi. I use the Cressi Archimedes II wrist computer.

I believe it's the same as the Apeks Quantum. The old model was identical, with a different name on the housing. The new model has a sleeker housing.

I am sure it shares the same benefits and failings of the Quantum - the biggest failing was that the depth sensor failed occasionally (every few hundred dives). I've been through 3 Quantums now... each time flawlessly replaced by Apeks.. due to an electronic or depth gauge failure. :shakehead:

I believe it's the same as the Apeks Quantum. The old model was identical, with a different name on the housing. The new model has a sleeker housing.

I am sure it shares the same benefits and failings of the Quantum - the biggest failing was that the depth sensor failed occasionally (every few hundred dives). I've been through 3 Quantums now... each time flawlessly replaced by Apeks.. due to an electronic or depth gauge failure. :shakehead:

The Cressi is the same computer (with just a tweaking for branding) as the Dive Rite Nitek Duo, Tusa IQ700 and the Apeks Quantum. Apeks, Dive Rite and Tusa are all very well spoken of but, Cressi doesn't seem to have the same following. Oh well. I'm very happy with the two of these computers that get used in my house. The biggest advantage I have noticed over the Suunto models listed earlier is that they are TWO GAS COMPUTERS. When I start deco with higher percentages of O2 I won't have to purchase a new computer right away. I feel that just like regulators, most of the computers will work and help to keep you safe as long as you follow the guidelines and use your head.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way about air integration, Crowley. I'm a systems administrator, and one thing I've learned in my career is that computers absolutely will fail at the worst possible time. If it's your dive computer, then you abort the dive and call it a day. If you're depending on that computer to tell you how much air you have left, that just might be it for you. I'll stick to analog air gauges.

Kristopher

I think you're off base with that comment. I've talked at length with Aeris about their air integrated computers. They told me they have right at the exact same failure rate as SPG gauges. That failure rate is <1%. Believe it or not, SPG's can give false readings and fail too.

Now, if you're talking about wireless air intergration there is much more of a chance for loss of signal and other problems. Air intergration attached to a hose is very reliable. I've been diving with a group for well over 6 years and we all dive air intergrated hosed computers and we have had 0 problems. Remember this, anything can fail and that includes SPG gauges.

Robbycayman,

I was talking about wireless air integration. I think it's a bad idea. I'm well aware that anything can fail, but also realize that there is less chance of failure in something that isn't electronic.

Kristopher

Robbycayman,

I was talking about wireless air integration. I think it's a bad idea. I'm well aware that anything can fail, but also realize that there is less chance of failure in something that isn't electronic.

Kristopher

Gotcha!! I agree with that statement. :)

Back
Top Bottom