Dive Computers !!! Help....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse:
Do you remember what the title of the thread was? I'd like to read it.

After searching a bit, I still couldn't find the study that I recall seeing before. However, I did find these from Scuba Diving magazine. (This URLs do work even though some of the searches on their own site return lists of links that then only tell you the page has moved!)

The Best Standalone Dive Computers
ScubaDiving, October 2001
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/dive_computers/the_best_standalone_dive_computers/

Best New Gas-Integrated Computers
ScubaDiving, November 2001
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/dive_computers/best_new_gas-integrated_computers/

14 New Dive Computers
ScubaDiving, January 2003
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/dive_computers/14_new_dive_computers/

Happy reading!
-Rob

Hi Tampabay,
Just to mention I got a suunto gecko for£150/$225 which you can mount on wrist or next to air console. It has limited Nitrox usage - but despite what you may read elsewhere no computer down load. There is such a facility but they are releasing the software only to licensed servicing shops.
People advised me not to hold back when spending on the dive computer. I am not rich thou so I bought the cheapest good brand which would fulfill all the functions I required.
I would NOT recommend buying second hand.
Hope you find the one for you.

Wonkone

Thank you,I agree.....second hand items are most of the time other people problems...I was going to get a Genesis React pro but I read some diver's said it stopped on them. All though, I plan by Dives using using a Dive Table first. I though about buying the sunnto cobra...?

Tampabay:
:06:

First I would like to thank everyone who has help me with tips on Diving gear. I do appreciated and hope to pass on the favor... I would like to hear on tips and comments about anyone using a Dive Computer and how much they like it....Also I'm looking forward to setting up my boat as a dive boat to share time diving with anyone coming down my way in the future... No cost..Just split the cost of fuel.

"Good things should be free!!!!!

Best to all...........................

I dive a Suunto Cobra; air integrated, neat & clean. It tells me everything but what I'm having for dinner. :wink:

I love it!

Thanks, I think that's what I'm going to buy... All I need now is to shop for the best prices.

I am a beginner diver and bought the equipments few weeks later... I got Sherwood Wisdom dive computer, that doesn't require the tables. If you want to continue to use the table, then you probably would need gauge and depth console- that's it. There are a few disadvantages if you get a basic gauge. For your logbook, it will ask you what temperature outside, surface, and in water. Also, my dive computer will keep the record of 50 dives without logging in book. When I am finished with my dives, I will just log it in my book at home. You won't get that information/memory like that on your basic gauge. So I suggest Sherwood Wisdom or many other options out there you can look up.

Tampabay:
Thanks, I think that's what I'm going to buy... All I need now is to shop for the best prices.

Since Suunto does not "bless" on-line sales, the prices you will find at the shops in your area will be within a few dollars of each other. There is little wiggle room.

I will not start the LDS vs on-line buying here.

Tampabay:
Thank you but which ones are best for the beginner diver? I also use the tables. Best Regards,Rey

Tampabay, I have used several differant hockey puck style computers, all genisis, the resource ,1 button sucks,not very user friendly,,the 2 button react is my favorite, easier to use and see under water and the react pro is also easy to use but harder to read. I now use a sherwood wisdom, it has big no's and loud alarms just in case I get to busy chasing a fish

I would stay away from using a computer. Get a depth/bottom timer like the Uwatec for about $125 or less. Learn the ins and outs of table diving or using software like V-Planner, etc. If you want download capability, the Suunto D3 in gauge mode will do the trick. You can pick up one of these for about $225 or so.

Too many divers rely on dive computers. When they fail, they are clueless as to how to handle the situation.

You should instead invest the money you would spend on a computer on other equipment that is top of the line life support.

If you really want to go with a computer, get one after you have mastered table or software diving.

Back
Top Bottom