Dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do you think dive computers did for diving. What windows did for PC’s. I know there would not have been as many computers sold. If we still had to use DOS.

Erm, are you saying fewer people would dive if it wasn't for dive computers?

Well, they certainly do make recreational dive planning a lot easier and significantly extend "no-decompression" dive times for typical profiles.

I'm rather less sure what Windows has done for PCs, other than ensure that most of the performance gains of the last decade have been lost to the operating system.:eyebrow:

Dont really think so. At least 90% of the students I teach have no idea what a dive computer is not to mention its value when they start their class. I think it becomes appealing to them once they start to learn. Once they begin to dive and realize how many divers have computers they then begin to look upon them as a neccessity.

Thank the Lord or who ever that Bill Gates was not into scuba.:no
I hate the blue screen of death on a PC,but on my dive computer.:11:
press ctrl+alt+del.:rofl3:

Do you think dive computers did for diving. What windows did for PC’s. I know there would not have been as many computers sold. If we still had to use DOS.
Absolutely not. I would be more inclined to compare dive computers to automatic transmission. When I learned to drive almost everyone used a car with manual transmission. Only the really expensive, high-end automobiles had automatic transmission.

I can still drive with manual transmission and do occasionally but I really like automatic transmission.

Maybe some day (30 years from now?) most people will dive with a computer. Today I see people who have only been driving for 10 years (or less) and cannot drive manual transmission vehicles. Maybe there will be the day when divers will learn on a computer and be unable to dive with tables. Maybe.

I think the best thing computers did for diving is to make up for the poor training most OW divers received. They know how to check the correct answer on the exam (not to ascend faster than 60 fpm for padi, and not faster than 30 fpm for everyone elses). And yet after OW, nearly half of them ascend at a rate of 120 fpm....

Sooooo, the computer actually correct this deficiency.... And the student realize how SLOW they really have to GO..... And in a round about way, the computer does teach the student the importance of buoyancy control and safe ascent rate..... Which they didn't learn from their OW dives in the first place...

So... It is a wonderful tool, and I am glad we have them. Only problem is, if the computer croak, the diver scratches his head.

If Windows hadent come, wed still be using a graphic interface, since apple already had one before Windows came about..

A dive computer is a handy gadget, but its not nearly a necessity. Its a nice place to collect data, but Its not like I would not be diving without one..

not for me....I bought my 1st one a little over a year ago after well over 900 dives, was kinda 'forced' into getting that one......

i think it's kinda like calculators and long division ... you could do it without the aid of a computer, but why? know what the computer is doing, then once you have the knowledge, let the computer do the work

Airlines ticket prices/availabilty and cruise ships enabled people to travel to places that they would want to dive. Since more people can afford the travel this has probably added more people to scuba much like Windows/Mac enabled the non geek to use the computer. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom