Dive gear - Jacket BCD or BP/W for a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It helps if they justify, or even just explain, them though...
Personally, I think the backplate/wing rage is hipe and a fad. It will not instantly create " good " divers. It is is not worth twice the money as the OP said it would cost.
I don't believe that the OP... or anyone else contributing to this thread... made such a claim?
It has been implied.
It helps to read the full thread, before reply (it's only on the 2nd page). As previously noted by several contributors - a BP&W style BCD can be obtained for $300.
Yes, I read the whole thread. BK/W are more expensive. Period!

Why?

They are the newest crazy.

Personally, I think the backplate/wing rage is hipe and a fad. It will not instantly create " good " divers. It is is not worth twice the money as the OP said it would cost.It has been implied.

Why?

So what kinds of BCDs do you sell in your shop?

I have a BP/W from DRIS that I love but I also enjoy diving a jacket style BCD as well. If I could only have one I don't know which I would choose. It sound like you've already made up your mind with the Halcyon and don't think you'll be disappointed with your purchase. Let us know what you end up with.

My 13 yr old grew out of his old childrens BC so we next tried his mother's XS Scuba Pro BC. Tried that for a while and didn't like it.

I'm cheap and I have a couple BP/W's so... Shortened up the straps and let him try it. First dive he said it was OK.. Second outing we added the crotch strap and he says he loves it. I have a little heart burn about him wearing his only ditchable lead under a crotch strap, but we will do some more drills in the near future and I'm sure he will get the more complicated aspects of the BP/W (crotch strap) worked out.

It is pretty much a non issue for a new diver. I'm back on the jacket BC kick now myself for the last 6 months or so.

Personally, I think the backplate/wing rage is hipe and a fad. It will not instantly create " good " divers. It is is not worth twice the money as the OP said it would cost.It has been implied.

Why?

The newest crazy? What does that even mean? And what is hipe? They are not twice as expensive as many jackets. How much is a fully decked out knighthawk? And what justifies that price? And if they are just so much HYPE and the latest CRAZE, why is one company you know well trying to break into that market with way overpriced, poorly thought out, over complicated models of back plate and wing bc's?

No they do not make one a better diver. But neither does a $600 jacket bc with badly placed d rings, pockets that are less than optimal, and enough padding to protect a crash dummy.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Go for the BP&W if you are so inclined. At the end of the day they dive the same with essentially the same valves, buckles etc. You may need a little more research as many are not usually sold all together though some like DSS are. In any case you are apt to make your first few dives in an ill fitting rig. The upshot is with the BP&W unless you miss on some obscure detail like a long or short plate you can dial the adjustment in. The wrong jacket BC will not be something you can remedy.

Either rig if fit correctly will dive just fine.

Pete

The cheapest BCD my LDS sells is the Aeris EX100 for $299.95 plus tax in sizes XS, S, M, L and XL. My DRIS 28lb BP/W was $299 with free shipping and no tax.

I used to dive a Seaquest BCD that cost around $250 - $300. Don't recall exactly how much but it was a basic entry model. Guess what... I out grew it and had to buy twice.

BP/W a fad? Funny, I've been hearing about them for 10 years now. Also "make" me a better diver? Of course not. But if one sets his mind to honing his skills, it certainly help a lot.

BP/W all the way!

I'm pretty new to diving, only about 50 dives on the north coast of Ca. After OW cert. I bought the "new diver" package from my LDS which included (at the time) one of the newest BC's, the pearl i3 from aqua lung. The I went diving with a local club. I made it 4 dives before I was offered to try one of my dive buddy's BP/W. (He actually makes his own back plates, Freedom Plates) I immediately loved it! For me, it was more streamline, less bulky, and I immediately dropped a ton of weight which was needed before to sink all the extra fabric and fluff that made up the BC. It also cost about 1/3 the price of the aqua lung.

So for now and into the foreseeable future, I will be sporting a Freedom Plate back plate and Oxycheq wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?

I really don't even know where to being with this. Please tell me that your statement drips with sarcasm and any minute I will see a "BAZINGA!"

Hype and Fad? Really? How long does a typical hype and fad last? I have been diving my Halcyon BP/W for ten years now.

Your over exaggeration of so called implied statments is simply asinine. I don't know how to put it any other way. PLEASE show me where anyone said that they will "instantly create a good diver".

More expensive? Then what? Some of those fabulously over priced padded jackets you sell? Tell me, are those worth twice as much as a simple back plate wing setup?

Look, you are entitled to your opinion, and we know where your loyalty lies. I can not fault you for an opinion. Others here have said that jackets are better in certain situations. While I disagree with that, I will not fault them for their opinion. However, you are pushing crap and flat out false statements and trying to polish them into facts.

I'm grateful for the useful info I have received here.

I'm glad I got the advice I wanted and thanks to those that have it.

I'm afraid it has turned into a bit of an us and them argument again as these threads tend to. So I will back away from the action.

Suffice to say that I will be looking to get a bpw set.
My reason is the adaptability of it, which I think regardless of whether it is more our less expensive initially will work out cheaper in the long run if I do decide I want it later.
Also the streamlined nature of the set up attracts me.

I know equipment itself will not make me a better diver. That is in my mind. But the right equipment will surely be an aid to that goal. With my limited budget it seems to make sense to make the decision early and make it right. (no relation to doing it right)

My apologies for starting a fight.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom