Dive info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Demo Dan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am planning a 9 month trip to Australia and I have no idea where to go and where to dive. It sound dumb I know but I am not leaving for awhile yet and wanted to get an idea of the best spots to go. I will hopefully be getting my dive master dert before I go and then try to take my instructor course while there so if any body know a real good dive shop who could assist me in this respect please let me know. My plan so far is to land in Sydney and rvel right up the west coast to Cairns, then I might go right around back down to the starting point and check out the east coast. I heard theres Great White Shark diving in Perth? any truth to this?. So what would be a recomended Dive shop. I know this is probably a personal choice thing because I'm sure there are a hundred good dive shops. I fanybody could help me get a good idea of where to go it would be a HUGE help.

Thanks

Dan

Demo Dan:
My plan so far is to land in Sydney and rvel right up the west coast to Cairns.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan, if you go to Cairns from Sydney you would want to go up the east coast. One of your stops on the way would be to stop at near Alva beach before Townsville where you could dive the "Yongala" then continue up the coast. A suggestion would be to dive out of Port Douglas which is about 60minutes north of Cairns. Our of Port Douglas go as far north on a dive boat or liveaboard as you can find, There are some 3&4 night liveaboards that will take you out to Cod Hole or Lizard Island area where some of the better diving is located. If possible get out to Osprey Reef.

:shocked: yep, just checked... cairns is on the east coast :D

we're a big country and given time and money you can just aboot see everything here.

if i had 9 months (and time and money) i would get the barbie camper (winnebago to you) and:

drive to South Australia to dive Rapid Bay to see Leafy Sea Dragons while avoiding the great white sharks - but if cage diving is your thing, i think Calypso has a good rep in SA for this.

we would then drive across the desert to Perth (Western Australia) for a bit of diving there before heading north to Broome/Ningaloo for the whale sharks, mantas, macros and more diving!

then we would head via Darwin/Northern Territory to see the sites before arriving in Port Douglas/Cairns for some diving

heading south now (along the east coast) to check out GBR, dive HMAS Brisbane which is located a bit south of Brisbane - yes to Cay's suggestions but also see if you can get into the Brunker Group of islands. if you only got a weekend, check out Big Cat Reality liveaboard to do Morton Bay/Nth Stradebroke Island.

then drive further south to Byron Bay/North Solitary Islands before heading back to my home town Sydney!

when in sydney - why boat when some of the shore dives are so nice. weedy sea dragons at Kurnel, Dusky sharks at Shelley and if boats are your thing - Frogdive have a active boat schedule (disclaimer, hubby is an instructor there) but ive only heard good things from Abyss diving as well

hope this gives you some clues!

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom