Dive Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
no, that is incorrect. read DAN's statement

In a news release dated March 9, 2006, hyperbaric chamber operators from some of the world's most popular dive destinations have announced they will no longer accept DAN America insurance. The destinations include The Bahamas, Baja California, Belize, Cancun, Cozumel, Galapagos, Phuket (Thailand), Playa del Carmen, Samui (Thailand), and the Yucatan (Mexico).

DAN may be ready willing and able to pay, but the chamber operators are not accepting DAN insurance, therefore you must reach into your wallet or purse and pony up the money, and then seek re-imbursment from DAN.

Trever:
In a news release dated March 9, 2006, hyperbaric chamber operators from some of the world's most popular dive destinations have announced they will no longer accept DAN America insurance. The destinations include The Bahamas, Baja California, Belize, Cancun, Cozumel, Galapagos, Phuket (Thailand), Playa del Carmen, Samui (Thailand), and the Yucatan (Mexico).

DAN may be ready willing and able to pay, but the chamber operators are not accepting DAN insurance, therefore you must reach into your wallet or purse and pony up the money, and then seek re-imbursment from DAN.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=734

A. DAN Members will be treated at all SSS recompression chambers.

B. DAN Members with Dive Accident Insurance purchased through DAN are fully covered.

C. In the event of a dive injury, call the DAN Emergency Hotline immediately.

D. DAN will handle all the necessary matters and no DAN member will be out of pocket.

DAN will cover any user...:D

Trever keeps forgetting there are two sides to any story

:wink:

That really doesn't mean a whole lot if you know how insurance works. Let's use my health insurance as an example.

They will Pay %100 percent of my bill for medical treatment if I goto a network provider. DAN will do the same for any chamber in the world. I have no problem with that. If they say they will , I believe they will. On the other hand the service provider can say "no way... we don't trust your insurance company to pay, we have been burned way to many times by them. If you want service you pay for it up front or show us a diferent insurance card." So you either get out VISA or cash and pay for it up front. Then you go back to Insurance company and say " hey I spent a bunch of money at an approved healthcare provider and you owe me cause I paid my premiums for the last 6 years." Then hpoefuly Your insurance company smiles and writes a check for %100 re-imbursment.

Not a problem everyone owned up to thier obligation. But..... before you went on vacation you maxed your VISA out on airline tickets and new SCUBA gear. Your cash is low cause you didn't plan on buying $1000 dollars worth of t-shirts, hats and sea shells. and you just didn't have enough money to be treated. What do you do????? The service provider is snubbing thier nose at your DAN insurance card and your VISA has been declined. ??? I really don't see what DAN can do. PAYPAL??? WesternUnion?? possibly. If your service provider does not accept your insurance you have to pay up front then wait for re-imbursment.

I have read all the stuff about the chambers (undercurrent this or last month) and would still recommend DAN. The service they provide to the diving community is invaluable and they deserve our support.

GO DAN!

I guess a high limit credit card should be in everybodies dive bag these days. $1000 in t-shirts, man that would cover my whole wardrobe (well of t-shirts).

H2Andy:
Trever keeps forgetting there are two sides to any story

:wink:
No I am not forgetting the 2 sides. Why do you think that I am? the original question was what kind of dive insurance to purchase. I am simply pointing out that some service providers are not accepting DAN. I have no comment or opinion on who is right or wrong. I do know that service providers have the right to reject payment from insurers, and when that happens the customer loses. I don't want the poor chap to think he has coverage when he may not have coverage. simply stating facts. I am not trying to demean anyone or any organization.

Trever:
If your service provider does not accept your insurance you have
to pay up front then wait for re-imbursment.

no. please get the facts. call 1-800-446-2671 (DAN) yourself and ask.

DAN will wire the money, and will make all arrangments necessary so you don't
have to pay up front (i.e. charge it to a credit card).

They have stated several times that their goal is "no payment by divers
at any point."

Trever:
I am not trying to demean anyone or any organization.

lol

well, then it's clear you are giving opinions when you don't have all the
pertinent facts

also, in your original post, you didnt' even mention DAN's response. you just
gave one side of the story. not quite fair.

btw, expect an announcement by DAN in the next few days. this matter
has been reportedly resolved.

In general dive insurance is a great idea however make sure you know what you are buying.

Happy Diving

H2Andy:
well, then it's clear you are giving opinions when you don't have all the
pertinent facts.
The fact is that a service provider is exercising it's right not to acept DAN insurance, DAN can do little about it.

H2Andy:
btw, expect an announcement by DAN in the next few days. this matter
has been reportedly resolved.
I hope so, many divers count on DAN insurance to be there when they need it.

Also to DAN's defense, I have not heard any complaints from policy holders, which is most important.

Back
Top Bottom