Dive Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was ready to get dive insurance (about 6 months ago), the DAN controversy was a big consideration, in addition to the story about the head of DAN lining his pockets with company monies. Consequently, I chose V&B, because DiveAssure didn't write policies in my state. Dive Assure actually looked like the best policy, but life goes on.

I won't go into the saga, but V&B showed me that there are actually human beings on the other side of the phone line. They don't know it, but they impressed the hell out of me.

Not that I want to disract anyone from their DAN bashing and/or love affair, but is there anything wrong with the insurance from V&B? What makes DAN insurance better/worse? V&B may be linked to PADI, but the cost of the policy is in line with the others.

As far as primary coverage is concerned, I believe (not 100% sure on this one) that some HMO's won't cover, or will give limited coverage to, people engaged in "extreme" sports. Might be worth your while to check to see if your primary considers dive accidents as part of your coverage. Weigh that against the policy coverages from the dive insurance companies.

nyprrthd:
As far as primary coverage is concerned, I believe (not 100% sure on this one) that some HMO's won't cover, or will give limited coverage to, people engaged in "extreme" sports. Might be worth your while to check to see if your primary considers dive accidents as part of your coverage. Weigh that against the policy coverages from the dive insurance companies.

I think the problem with most "over the counter" standard health insurance lacks coverage for overseas travel, or is very limited. If you plan on having an acident overseas you better have travel insurance of some type.

:wink: Yes I realize no one plans on having an acident

nyprrthd:
When I was ready to get dive insurance (about 6 months ago), the DAN controversy was a big consideration, in addition to the story about the head of DAN lining his pockets with company monies. Consequently, I chose V&B, because DiveAssure didn't write policies in my state. Dive Assure actually looked like the best policy, but life goes on.

I won't go into the saga, but V&B showed me that there are actually human beings on the other side of the phone line. They don't know it, but they impressed the hell out of me.

Not that I want to disract anyone from their DAN bashing and/or love affair, but is there anything wrong with the insurance from V&B? What makes DAN insurance better/worse? V&B may be linked to PADI, but the cost of the policy is in line with the others.

My mother in law is an insurance agent, and looking over the coverages offered by the big companies, recommended I go with the V&B (via PADI) insurance, because the costs are similar across the board, some slightly higher, others slightly lower, but she thought the V&B policy covered a bit more.

Haven't had the misforune to need to use it yet, so I can't really give you feedback. *touch wood*

CompuDude:
Haven't had the misforune to need to use it yet, so I can't really give you feedback. *touch wood*

It's always best to never know how good your insurance company ever is.

DAN and SSS Issue Joint Press Release

Divers Alert Network (DAN) and SSS Network of Recompression Chambers (SSS) Joint Press Release

Divers Alert Network (DAN America) and clinic members of the SSS Network of Recompression Chambers (SSS) announce that they have reached a settlement in the recent legal action. Representatives of SSS announce that DAN America insurance is once again accepted as a result of the resolution of the outstanding claims that were the basis for the lawsuit. The terms of the settlement remain confidential. The SSS Network of Recompression Chambers and DAN America pledge to work closely together to ensure that injured divers will receive the most appropriate and effective medical care.

too sweet, about time too

PaulChristenson:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=734

A. DAN Members will be treated at all SSS recompression chambers.

B. DAN Members with Dive Accident Insurance purchased through DAN are fully covered.

C. In the event of a dive injury, call the DAN Emergency Hotline immediately.

D. DAN will handle all the necessary matters and no DAN member will be out of pocket.

DAN will cover any user...:D

Trevor will you read what in the above quote...LINE ITEM D

D. DAN will handle all the necessary matters and no DAN member will be out of pocket.

NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE!!!!!

It can't be any more simple...unless you are one of those half-empty guys...:D :D

PaulChristenson:
Trevor will you read what in the above quote...LINE ITEM D

NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE!!!!!

It can't be any more simple...unless you are one of those half-empty guys...:D :D

Paul DAN has made statement D two different ways:

(1) DAN will never allow a member to remain "out-of-pocket" for charges due to a legitimate claim.

and

(2) DAN will handle all the necessary matters and no DAN member will be out of pocket.

When DAN makes a statement 2 diferent ways it does get confusing.

The first one implies that you may have to pay up front, and they will re-imburse you. in that case you are out of pocket for a short period, (a couple of weeks).
The second way that they worded the statement is that you will not be out of pocket.

I called DAN yesterday as sugested by H2Andy at the number he provided and the person I spoke to, Cheryl, and she said that DAN will fully re-imburse any out of pocket expense incured at any chamber.

She also told me that the matter was now resolved, which I posted imediately.

When an insurance company says that there will be no out of pocket expense they merely mean that eventualy you will be 100% re-imbursed. It does not mean that you do not initialy have to pay the service provider.

Now that DAN and SSS have resolved the problem (I wonder who won) I guess it is a moot issue. I guess the DAN policy holders are the real winners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom