Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use 3 cutting tools, 2 during DM'd dives.

1 T-cutter (belt mounted)
1 pair of shears (shoulder mounted)
1 wenoka ezlock tanto (brought if I'm fishing and is leg mounted, this one isn't brought along as often)

Once you get some use with it, perhaps you will write a review and post a few pictures.
Here's a quicky review with what I know so far and a few photo's of my new Linsen Dive Sword! It's a full tang knife, meaning the tang goes all of the way to the end of the handle and it has a lanyard hole there. (I had to drill holes in my Dacor handle to put a lanyard on it) The handle is some kind of rubber and it's molded right around the tang. The tip is flat, not sharp curved up like a pry bar. The serrated edge is razor sharp. Overall, it seems to be pretty rugged and feels like a good tool if that makes sense.

On the negative side: I can wear my Dacor knife sheath on bare skin and it feels ok but I'm pretty sure the Linsen nylon sheath would abrade the skin fast. The serrated edge is very sharp but the edge on the other side is totally dull. I don't know if this one skipped that part of the manufacturing process or what but it was rounded smooth. It's very sharp now!

On the plus side: I paid a Dollar and a Quarter for it! $1.25. The Seller started the auction at one Penny so I bid ten bucks on it. One other person bid but I won it for a Buck and a Quarter! Ok ok ok it was plus ten bucks shipping.

He's got another one up for auction sale but he started this one for five Bucks. Here's some photo's.
Edited to add:
it was to long to fit in my Dacor sheath but maybe I open the end up so it sticks thru! It's all dull at the tip.
fB9GDL7.jpg

n4IDRfX.jpg

aWRtHD4.jpg

Here's a quicky review with what I know so far and a few photo's of my new Linsen Dive Sword! It's a full tang knife, meaning the tang goes all of the way to the end of the handle and it has a lanyard hole there. (I had to drill holes in my Dacor handle to put a lanyard on it) The handle is some kind of rubber and it's molded right around the tang. The tip is flat, not sharp curved up like a pry bar. The serrated edge is razor sharp. Overall, it seems to be pretty rugged and feels like a good tool if that makes sense.

On the negative side: I can wear my Dacor knife sheath on bare skin and it feels ok but I'm pretty sure the Linsen nylon sheath would abrade the skin fast. The serrated edge is very sharp but the edge on the other side is totally dull. I don't know if this one skipped that part of the manufacturing process or what but it was rounded smooth. It's very sharp now!

On the plus side: I paid a Dollar and a Quarter for it! $1.25. The Seller started the auction at one Penny so I bid ten bucks on it. One other person bid but I won it for a Buck and a Quarter! Ok ok ok it was plus ten bucks shipping.

He's got another one up for auction sale but he started this one for five Bucks. Here's some photo's.
Edited to add:
it was to long to fit in my Dacor sheath but maybe I open the end up so it sticks thru! It's all dull at the tip.
fB9GDL7.jpg

n4IDRfX.jpg

aWRtHD4.jpg
It looks like a mini gladius.

I carry a five inch titanium knife with me. Especially since the upset pitbull when I came up at my launch point. Didn’t need it but wasn’t far from it.

Edited to add:
fB9GDL7.jpg

n4IDRfX.jpg

aWRtHD4.jpg
since the ad give no detail. Does the knife say what kind of steel it is made from ?440 ?

I carry a five inch titanium knife with me. Especially since the upset pitbull when I came up at my launch point. Didn’t need it but wasn’t far from it.
Hmmm. Isn't that what your M1911A-1 is for? What, forget to bring it with?

rx7diver

since the ad give no detail. Does the knife say what kind of steel it is made from ?440 ?
No it doesn't say what kind of steel it is but since it's from China, I would not expect really high quality. There was no paperwork with mine when it arrived. It's most likely 420 Stainless. I put the edge on the second side with my Lansky sharpener. I used the 22 degree edge, not a scalpel edge but not an ax edge either. Sort of a very sharp working knife edge.

The second edge is small sections of serrations plus sections of really small serrations intermingled with a normal edge. It's kind of a neat pattern and I think that edge may be 17 degrees, a scalpel edge. Sharp enough to shave your whole head with but then the edge is dull. The kind of edge you want on a blade when that tentacle wraps around your ankle or maybe it was really just an old fishing net. That edge will cut thru a tentacle or rope or two easy but you might be in trouble if there's more than three tentacles! I doubt it will hold the edge for any heavy cutting work but if you did that regularly, you wouldn't be looking at a knife like this anyway!

It probably won't hold the edge like a quality blade and I wouldn't try to lift boulders with the pry bar front tip either. However, for an under thirty dollar knife, it seems like a super deal. I paid a dollar and a quarter for mine plus ten bucks shipping. Truthfully, I thought it was scam but it really did arrive! The seller raised his starting bid to five dollars from the one cent that mine started at. (Rookie!)

And no, I am not affiliated with the seller in any way. Only trying to pass along a good deal. Oh, and it did fit my Dacor sheath after all. The end was already open so it just pushed thru and sticks out about 3/4 of an inch and it's all prybar, no sharp edge.

Hmmm. Isn't that what your M1911A-1 is for? What, forget to bring it with?

rx7diver

A Glock will fire underwater with maritime spring cups although they are really more for an over the beach scenario when the striker channel a still water-logged so the water won’t hydraulically impede the forward motion of the striker.

I have a 19 with maritime cups but haven’t carried it underwater. Someone on the internet modified one to fire blanks and was killing lionfish with contact shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom