Dive log books...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry about that boat sju. I'd never use an on-line log. Just my preference. Every corporation on the planet wants everyone to use "the cloud" so they can data mine. Your insurance company review your dive log and decide that you're a higher risk because you dive? Maybe that time you stayed 1 minute past the no decompression limit with your basic open water certification? Yeah, we need to charge you a higher premium. :)

I started working in network security in the military in 1988 when a "souped up hot rod computer" had 8mb of RAM and a 500 Mb hard drive, no CD ROM, and you had to swap out the 5 1/4" floppies every minute or so to run any program. I've done network admin and network security for 30 years. Don't believe that BS about "Yeah, we use the most advanced encryption on the planet, your data is SAFE with us!" The term they like to throw out is "industry standard".

TARGET was using "industry standard" when they got hacked.
Bank of America was using "industry standard" when they got hacked.
DoD was using "industry standard" when they got hacked.
NASA was using "industry standard" when they got hacked.
New York Times was using "industry standard" when they got hacked.
Sony was using "industry standard" when they got hacked.

Hacking into DoD takes some talent. Hacking into some cloud dive log takes about 15 minutes, and 10 of those were spent eating a sammich then cleaning the mustard off the keyboard. :)

I'll chime in and suggest you just start the new book with number 71. I've never kept a running total of bottom time, so no advice on that. If you don't already do it, I'll also suggest you record your weight, what exposure protection you are wearing and what weight you are using. It helps to look back on that if you haven't been diving recently so you have a better idea how much weight you'll need in similar conditions.

Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom