dive log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure why you'd need a signature on data logs.....it's not like you can make them up. Plus the log is also storred in the computer (100 hours for my SOL). I can't imagine how you'd fake a dive into a dive computer, I'm sure it can be done, but I highly doubt it is.

EVERYBODY should use a traditional paper log book. None of this computer crap. Log all dives (NO, NOT POOL DIVES). Record details. Attempt to get signatures when you have a buddy (write in SOLO dive if no buddy. No FAKING of signatures). Then Xerox each full page, cut it out, and place in your lead firebox in case the house burns and you lose the traditional log book. No, I donnot have that OCS (is that right???--ADT???) that my wife says I have (obsessive compulsive blah blah blah).

Sorry guys, my bad. Guess that was a bit too much tongue in cheek. Of course computerized logs are probably a lot better. Still may be a good idea to print out occasionally in case the computer does fail. How many of you ever see divers with paper (or any kind of) log books handy for you to sign? Most times I'm the only one doing this.

Every now and then I zip my log file and email it to myself. Save a tree :)

Why does a log need to be signed ? I am guessing it is only there for your own future reference ?

Since I am a new diver, I get my signed as it is still a novelty to me. Also, I like having my paper log I can flip through and make notes when I think of them.

My NAUI packet seemed like a pretty standardized thing, plastic notebooky housing for the paperback textbook and workbook, the dive table, and a little paper logbook that my instructor used to sign off on each checkout dive and then the final certification. He said I could use that for diving until my cert card arrived. So the OP should have gotten a cert card (or should be getting one soon) from NAUI.

I used my log book for the one dive trip I took before getting my dive computer; now it's all computerize log book, synced to my iPhone which I can show if anyone ever wants to see the record of my dives. Paper is so last century.

Sorry guys, my bad. Guess that was a bit too much tongue in cheek. Of course computerized logs are probably a lot better. Still may be a good idea to print out occasionally in case the computer does fail. How many of you ever see divers with paper (or any kind of) log books handy for you to sign? Most times I'm the only one doing this.

On computer failure, it happens and you cand loose everything. My instructor tells a story of heartbreak of how his paper dive logs were stolen in a burg, had them in a brief case. I'm sure they ended up in a dumpster of field when the theif saw what he had. He was all ready an instructor so he didn't need them to verify things but valued them. With computer logs you can back them up and store them somewhere else, at least it's an option.

On computer failure, it happens and you cand loose everything. My instructor tells a story of heartbreak of how his paper dive logs were stolen in a burg, had them in a brief case. I'm sure they ended up in a dumpster of field when the theif saw what he had. He was all ready an instructor so he didn't need them to verify things but valued them. With computer logs you can back them up and store them somewhere else, at least it's an option.

Yes. I've had other stuff stolen that was valueless to the thief but irreplaceable for me. That's why I Xerox a lot of stuff, including every dive log page.

What do the more experienced divers consider to be essential information to log on each dive? I've been reading some of these threads on dive logs and I can see where having certain information in the future would be a good thing for planning future dives. Just starting my pool dives in a couple of weeks and would like to start my logs off right.

Marc

What do the more experienced divers consider to be essential information to log on each dive? I've been reading some of these threads on dive logs and I can see where having certain information in the future would be a good thing for planning future dives.

There are two types of information that you can log.

The first is the basic info that you log for all dives
Tank size
Pressure in / out
Exposure protection and weight
Depth / time
Conditions ( vis, water temp, air temp)

Then there is the site specific stuff. I log things on paper, and each page has the basic info above on one side, and the other side is blank. Here, I draw maps of the dive site or wreck, give access info, name and address of the dive center or boat I dived with, trip budgets if I organized the trip, emergency plans, basically any and all the usefull info.

The log is partly to document your dive, but also a way of tracking how you are getting along (e.g. SAC rates etc) as well as being a source of memories as well.

The more info you keep, the more pleasure you get in years to come when you look back over the dives done. Similarly, when you go back and dive in the same place a few years later, you have details of the sites and know what you found where, and which are the most interesting sites etc....

HTH

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom