dive Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinkladydi

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
this is a copy of the post made to Undercurrent

Vis: 50 to 100 Feet. Water: 85 to 85 Fahrenheit, calm.

Dive your own profile: yes
Any dive restrictions: No limits except for computer and air supply.

I did a really thorough search before heading to the water as I was on a non-dive business trip to Guadalajara which is a 4-1/2 hour bus trip away, and I had a total of one day to play in the water. The research started with UC Chapbooks and former issues, but I got no help for either altitude diving around Guadalajara or suggestions on ocean sites. Facebook was my next resort, and I got suggestions from fellow divers on shark cage diving (which I am against), and a tech oriented shop in downtown Guadalajara. I sent an e-mail to the Guadalajara shop, but after two weeks of silence I responded to a new FB friend, Diane Johnson (dianejohnson@gmail.com), who exclaimed 'Come dive Manzanillo!' Diane has a PADI Divemaster rating and is personal friends with the owner/operator of SCUBA SHACK, Susan Dearing. Diane picked me up from my very charming hotel (Hotel Playa de Santiago, balcony and two double beds with ocean waves gently lapping 20-yards away for USD$40.00 per night), whisked me off to breakfast at Juanito's Restaurante (100-yards east of the dive shop, meal for two including tip came to USD$10.00), and then we picked up tanks from the shop (KM 15 Miguel de la Madrid Blvd., tanks rent for 7-pesos/USD$5.60 each).
Dive #1 at Manzanillo Bay Club de Yates, depth 50-feet, rocky reef & pinnacles, hundreds of SCHOOLING porcupine puffers, giant coronet fish, turtle, Seargeant Major damselfish guarding nests, guineafowl puffers in mating colors, angelfish galore- best part was on our return, two 1-inch long golden trevally fish took turns swimming in our hair!
Dive #2 at Santiago Bay's Playa la Boquita de Miramar, entering at Ramada Marildo's exquisite palapa restaurante where we parked, placed our order for barbequed fish (it is an hour-long prep & WELL worth it!), then walked about 20-yards to the water entry. 150-yard swim wearing doubles was easy for me in this sheltered part of the bay, but for those not interested in the swim there are plenty of small boats ready for hire right there. A giant, colorful grouper greeted us as we made our first entry into this freight vessel, nudibranchs on outside ridge, spotted tiger eel snake feeding in sand, not-shy school of large surgeonfish nibbling at algae on wreck, Titon trigger and another giant coronet fish Darwin around, beautiful shapes and shadows created by sunlight and mostly intact ship structure. I can't wait to come back with my camera!!!

UW Photography Comments: My UWP friends are going to LOVE this place! Highlight of the two dives I had was crusing in and around 1959 'Jose San Luciano) shipwreck (bottom depth 21-feet!). Wreck filled with corals, seafans, large grouper, hundreds of fish INCLUDING seahorses. Easy beach entry, I dove it wearing double AL 80's, swimming into engine room.

-----------------------All Information Submitted----------------------

Report Number: 5284
Dive operation: dianejohnson@gmail.com Website: www.divemanzanillo.com
Resort: Hotel Playa de Santiago Website:
Liveaboard: no
Location: Mexico (Western), specifically Manzanillo Bay, Colima
Visit Date: 2009/11
Name: Karen Elaine
p. o. box 1363

Venice Beach, ca 90294-1363
USA
Phone: 3105789637
Subscriber Number: 478266
Online Member Username: karenelaine
Email: kebvla@aol.com (Publish email OK?: yes)
Experience: 0-25 dives
Where else dove: 16-logged dives in Maldivas/South Georgia/Argentian Antactic; dozens of dives around Vancouver Island, British Columbia; hundreds of dives in Southern California & Channel Islands; also dives in Fiji, Bonaire, Papua New Guinea, Yucatan, etc.
Weather: sunny
Water Visibility: 50 to 100 Feet
Water conditions: calm
Water Temperature: 85 to 85 Fahrenheit
Wet Suit used: no
Thickness: mm
Dive your own profile: yes
Any dive restrictions: No limits except for computer and air supply.
Nitrox?: no

Sharks: None
Mantas: None
Dolphins: None
Whale Sharks: None
Turtles: 1
or 2
Whales: None

Ratings: 1 (worst) to 5 (best), with 0 being N/A
Coral: 2
Tropical Fish: 5
Large Fish: 2
Large Pelagics: 0
Small Critters: 5

Accommodations: 4
Service and Attitude: 5
Food: 5
Dive Operations: 4
Shore Diving: 5
Snorkeling: 5
Environmental Sensitivity: 4
Money's Worth: 5
Overall Diving for Beginners: 5
Overall Diving for Experts: 5

Overall Comments: I did a really thorough search before heading to the water as I was on a non-dive business trip to Guadalajara which is a 4-1/2 hour bus trip away, and I had a total of one day to play in the water. The research started with UC Chapbooks and former issues, but I got no help for either altitude diving around Guadalajara or suggestions on ocean sites. Facebook was my next resort, and I got suggestions from fellow divers on shark cage diving (which I am against), and a tech oriented shop in downtown Guadalajara. I sent an e-mail to the Guadalajara shop, but after two weeks of silence I responded to a new FB friend, Diane Johnson (dianejohnson@gmail.com), who exclaimed 'Come dive Manzanillo!' Diane has a PADI Divemaster rating and is personal friends with the owner/operator of SCUBA SHACK, Susan Dearing. Diane picked me up from my very charming hotel (Hotel Playa de Santiago, balcony and two double beds with ocean waves gently lapping 20-yards away for USD$40.00 per night), whisked me off to breakfast at Juanito's Restaurante (100-yards east of the dive shop, meal for two including tip came to USD$10.00), and then we picked up tanks from the shop (KM 15 Miguel de la Madrid Blvd., tanks rent for 7-pesos/USD$5.60 each).
Dive #1 at Manzanillo Bay Club de Yates, depth 50-feet, rocky reef & pinnacles, hundreds of SCHOOLING porcupine puffers, giant coronet fish, turtle, Seargeant Major damselfish guarding nests, guineafowl puffers in mating colors, angelfish galore- best part was on our return, two 1-inch long golden trevally fish took turns swimming in our hair!
Dive #2 at Santiago Bay's Playa la Boquita de Miramar, entering at Ramada Marildo's exquisite palapa restaurante where we parked, placed our order for barbequed fish (it is an hour-long prep & WELL worth it!), then walked about 20-yards to the water entry. 150-yard swim wearing doubles was easy for me in this sheltered part of the bay, but for those not interested in the swim there are plenty of small boats ready for hire right there
. A giant, colorful grouper greeted us as we made our first entry into this freight vessel, nudibranchs on outside ridge, spotted tiger eel snake feeding in sand, not-shy school of large surgeonfish nibbling at algae on wreck, Titon trigger and another giant coronet fish Darwin around, beautiful shapes and shadows created by sunlight and mostly intact ship structure. I can't wait to come back with my camera!!!

Underwater Photography:
Subject Matter: 4
Boat Facilities: 0
Shore Facilities: 5
Overall rating for photographers: 5
UWP Comments: My UWP friends are going to LOVE this place! Highlight of the two dives I had was crusing in and around 1959 'Jose San Luciano) shipwreck (bottom depth 21-feet!). Wreck filled with corals, seafans, large grouper, hundreds of fish INCLUDING seahorses. Easy beach entry, I dove it wearing double AL 80's, swimming into engine room.

---------
Submitter information gathered:
Remote User:karenelaine
Referer: http://www.undercurrent.org/members/UCnow/SubRRTopMA.php
Remote Addr: 71.106.209.54
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3
AllowDisplay: yes
UseReport:yes
Dive Op ID: 0
Local Dive Op ID: 0

=

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom