Dive mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a new mask (#3) Need something that's SUPER low volume, purge, and no blind spots, don't need contacts or vision correction. Needs non-reflective colors as well. Any ideas?

Ed

Heh heh...

I'm looking for the same... let me know if... no seriously.

I've got a TUSA Panogeo, which is the exact opposite of your description. I picked up a Mares Ventosa the other day which seems to have a pretty low volume. The fit is great, just a little narrow or maybe that's just the effect of the all black silicone. The lens is closer to my eyes, so it seems like periphery vision is improved. Besides the side panels on the Pano-geo were useless to see out of... but did let in a lot of light if you're claustrophobic.

I was also looking at the OMS mask in a catalog. It was interesting because the lens seem to be angled back which could improve peripheral vision a lot. Couldn't find a LDS to try it on, so I didn't go with it.

Neither of these masks have purge valves...

I've been doing the same thing. Can you imagine how hard it is to find a mask when there isn't a decent shop around? I bought the Oceanic Shadow from a shop in New York, but naturally, it leaked. It would have been a nice mask had it fit me. I have Zeagle Ranger that's OK, but the seal has curled inward and is difficult to don. I have a new Cressi Sub Big Eyes to try out now. I hope it works out.

Hope you have better luck than I've had.

Mike

Anyone heard anything good about purge masks? I haven't... my best recomendation is go to scubadiving.com and see what they have to say... for a low volume great visibility mask (sorry no purge... why have one anyway??) but the Zeagle Ebon is a good choice or my favorite the Scubapro FINO...

Once again as with most scuba equipment FIT is the key factor...

check out scubadiving.com get the numbers.. then try them and buy the one that fits... I think that others will most likely tell you the same Good Luck :D

Wheezy,

Don't get me started on purge valves *&%$)&@@$%...you get my drift. I've elaborated on previous threads...won't put everyone through it again.

Yooper,

I too recently purchased the Cressi Big Eyes because I was intrigued by the idea of wider range of vision. I have only tried it out on one dive and my first impression is 50/50. I like the fact I can see the area directly below my chin much better, however the tendency to leak is magnified by changes of facial expression....I guess because of how low on the cheeks it sits. If I remember to keep a stone-face...no prob. :wink:

Of course the best mask is one that fits your face.

I have to side with the others above, forget the purge, it's just something else that can go wrong.

A mask I've absolutely fallen in love with is the TUSA Platina (not hyperdry or any other name, just the Platina). It's a very low-volume mask that sits close to your eyes for a wider field of vision. Get the black silicone skirt; it shades the eyes on the surface and doesn't cause any loss of vision underwater because you can't see through the skirt anyway!

I even have a moustache and it stays dry as a bone inside the mask.

Roak

Darn! I keep trying to get onto that politics board and ending up here.

Well, I have drawer full of masks that worked well at the LDS and bombed in the briny. At first, I thought it was just me (and Barbara), but as I "listened" on this Board I realized that we were not alone.

I know that you guys who dive deep regularly like low volume. I, on the other hand, carry a camera and wanted a mask with many windows. So, I tried and bought the Mares ESA--and it worked great for a while. Then the rains came: it flooded and needed clearing much too much. So, back I went to my tried and true Parkway. Now this is not a macho brand mask, but it has never leaked! Never!

Well, to make a short story long, my LDS replaced my ESA in kind with a "new and improved" ESA and it seems to be working fine. It has been on 40 dives or so without leaking! But this is definitely not the low volume mask you guys were looking for.

Finally(I promise), Barbara got the Cressi Big Eyes and it just did not work well when she used it in the ocean...so she is back to her Oceanic 4Site--which gets an 80% rating.

I will watch here for an announcement regarding the perfect mask!

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom