Dive mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the new Sea Vision mask I got. I got the 2000, which is the lowest volume mask they make. It's got a black silicone skirt and is extremely comfortable on my face.
Sea Vision is the company with the color correcting lenses. As I dive primarily in the murky green waters of the Pacific Northwest I got the amber lenses which are advertised as improving visibility. Can't attest to that claim, but I can see that I see just fine and see colors well (with artificial lighting). They make a pink lens which is supposed to help bring out the color lost at depth in tropical waters. I have talked to divers that really like the lenses tropical, but I have no personal testimonial.
Good luck in your quest -- a good mask is a hard thing to find.

I've been very pleased with my SP Frameless, not the lowest volume mask on the market but still pretty low volume and no leaks. Just a good simple mask.

Sam

Sam, have you compared the Oceanic Shadow to the Scuba Pro? I was told they are virtually identical, but again I can't get my hands on any of these masks. The Shadow, though a decent mask, leaked very badly on my face. If this Big Eyes doesn't work out, I'm looking at that TUSA and the Scuba Pro.

Mike

The mask you are looking for, i cant belive exist.
low volume colides with purge becouse placing good purge valve takes space.

however-there is a new kind of masks-created by several companies, I had one by Technisub, that are SUPER low volume and hardly any water gets in. i cant remeber the specific model name, but it looks like the new kind of swimming goggles, curved. The curving, though, creates a problem- a little distortion of view that you need to adjust yourself to.

one thing more- from the specs you want, i take it you have problems with mask clearing-better work on it than look for a none existant mask (purge masks are lousy).

Cressi-sub superocchio or Mares Target for low vol.

Single lense, go for Oceanic shadow or Scubapro frameless.

Check out OceanMaster masks. They put the purge valve in the nose pocket, so they might have a low-profile mask with purge valve. I haven't used one myself, but a know a few people who swear by them.

Of course, fit is the most important thing. If you can't try one on first, there is no guarentee that it will not leak.

Not sure of the link to OceanMaster...but do a search.

Hello.

There seems to be a lot of emphasis placed on "low volume" diving masks by manufacturers and divers alike. What are the advantages of low volume masks?

I appologize if this is a dumb question.

I like them for easier clearing and depressurizing. I've had the Mares ESA mask, but I like LP masks better.

Mike

Not that it is a direct relationship, but another reason for low volume masks other than easier to clear, is that they usually sit a little closer to your face which in turn gives you better (ohhh geesh spelling on this one) peripheral vision. Like I said the ScubaPro "FINO" is by far the best mask I've used as far as volume/visability/adjustment goes.

One of the key features of this mask is that it has "pivoting buckles"... basically if the strap pulls down or up the mask will stay on and usually won't even leak

worth checking out... if it fits... go for it.. leisurepro.com sells it for like $43.. normally $69 :D

GOOD LUCK :D

I just bought an Aqua Lung Hawaii 2 mask with the black silicone skirt. I love it, nice low volume and light weight. Similar in design to the Sea Vision masks but cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom