Dive Master knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True enough

At the end of the day I want to have the skills I need to enjoy the kind of diving I want to do safely and just enough c-cards to allow me to do those dives

Conor once bubbled...
Diversaurus, my local group have said that I would need to convert to BSAC before I could go dive with them. This is what concerns me, I can't say at this point whether I will actually like to continue diving in the UK, so I don't really want to cough up that much cash on the off chance. I am a RD at the mo and would have to go through lectures in the BSAC way and possibly some other hurdles whereas I could just go to the coast and dive.

I was taken in at face value and chose to do their courses and classes, but I was allowed to dive with them right away and treated like a diver rather than a novice. I honestly thought that the certifications transferred both ways (vis CMAS and their star ratings). I was also in a BS-AC chapter in Sardinia and again was taken right in, tho I was an instructor for NAUI by then.

Maybe you just need to go in via a club member you know rather than the front door. All I know was that it was a really good experience when I did it 20 years ago.

The 3 most valuable courses you will take after basic open water are:

Basic nitrox
Advanced open water
Rescue

Make sure you take those as soon as you are able.

You can worry about Divemaster later.

Normally before you start Divemaster you need to take these additional courses as well:

CPR & First Aid
O2 Provider

If you have not taken all these yet, you are still a ways off from D/M.

diverdeb001 once bubbled...
What are the pre-requisites for the NAUI course. I've done all of my other training through PADI.??

Off the top of my head, I think it is NAUI AOW or equivalent....

We did rescue and master diver together.....10 weeks total

PREREQUISITES FOR ENTERING THE COURSE

Age. Minimum is 15 years.

Diver Certification. NAUI advanced certification or the equivalent is required. The instructor is to ensure adequate student knowledge and capability before any open water training and shall use skill or other evaluations to do so.

Equipment. Students shall furnish and be responsible for the care and maintenance of their own diving equipment. The instructor shall initially assist the student in checking all student gear to insure it is adequate and in proper working order.

My BSAC membership costs £43/yr (ive just renewed it). The reason they want that is a for a BSAC branch dive the members all have to be members of BSAC for insurance and liability reasons.

Its the usual defence against the sadly common "sue someone, sue often" culture thats emerging.

As well as BSAC membership fees you join a local branch (club) and there is usually a monthly fee for that. Normally that covers pool hire, boat maintenance, compressor maintenance (if they have one) and so on.

I pay roughly £7/mo for the branch.

Remembering that the training up to i believe Advanced Diver is branch and therefore free after that its not bad. For roughly £130/yr you can have unlimited training as well as regular diving and access to boats.

Basically, you cant just turn up at a branch and dive without being a member of BSAC.

The main downside is training can take a long time, for example its roughly 8 months around here for the basic Ocean Diver qualification.

They also offer skill development courses for things such as underwater archaeology, boat handling, chart work, oxygen and first aid, nitrox etc independent of the branch and cost about £25 each to cover instructors expenses and materials.

If you arent in a rush to rack up qualifications you maybe wise to join a bsac branch where at least you should get some regular and cheaper diving during the process.

Rescue Diver should cross over as Sport Diver (BSACs 2nd qualification) with only a few lectures needed to cover the UK orientated stuff. You can then start on the Dive Leader course which is equivalent to Dive Master.

The NAUI MD book has tons of good knowledge of DCI, Rescue related stuff but also equipment, technique, physics, etc. The course isn't as much about diving skills as diving knowledge.

And the prereq is Rescue Diver but that can be taken concurrently you just can't use one dive toward two classes.

Ideally I would like the BSAC route to work out for the reasons you mentioned, I may go back and try again with them next week. I do wish they had replied to my emails, would have made it a lot easier/more comfortable.

Deeptech; if it was me your post on certs was aimed, then as I said above I am a RD and have EFR. I am not convinced EANx is a pre-req although I do want to do it, I have done basic O2 admin but want to do a formal cert. And the gist of my post is that I don't really want to be a DM or necesssarily do the DM course.

Sorry to be a bit terse/tetchy....I am due at the dentist in 10 mins

Conor once bubbled...
Ideally I would like the BSAC route to work out for the reasons you mentioned, I may go back and try again with them next week. I do wish they had replied to my emails, would have made it a lot easier/more comfortable.

Deeptech; if it was me your post on certs was aimed, then as I said above I am a RD and have EFR. I am not convinced EANx is a pre-req although I do want to do it, I have done basic O2 admin but want to do a formal cert. And the gist of my post is that I don't really want to be a DM or necesssarily do the DM course.

Sorry to be a bit terse/tetchy....I am due at the dentist in 10 mins

Conor,

I gather that your problem is paying a yearly fee before you even see them in the water.

I would just explain to them that you're willing to make a commitment in time, effort and money but not without attending at least one meeting and seeing them diving (or in the pool) at least once to convince yourself that it's the right thing to do. Maybe their problem is insurance related but there must be ways around that. Maybe watching them in the pool is the solution. Maybe signing a waiver is the solution. Talk to them about it. Be creative.

And ask them "why" you can't get what you want (in more tactful terms of course) and then use your creativity and think *with* them to address every objection they bring up until they can't think of anything else. :)) consulting 101)

Don't forget you are the one with the power here. They can say "no" but they *you* might walk away and it's *your* money that's on the table. From what I hear the club system works on shoestring budgets. Someone once told me that if all the "sleeping" members (people who pay but don't come) were to disappear that the whole system would collapse.....so I'll bet they will give you whatever you want if you give them adequate reason to believe that you *will* join if they meet your conditions. :)

Oh... and one more thing I wanted to mention. The BSAC curriculum is a public document. I don't ahve the URL right now but it can be downloaded from the internet and you can see for yourself which skills are presented in which order. The club will also let you see it if you ask them.... Then you can talk to them about tempo on their terms and see if you want to wait that long to learn stuff..... That might be another approach.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom