Dive Master knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talked to a few guys last time a met with them and got two very different answers. First I was told that I would be able to do a couple of dives with them and then I would be able to decide if I wanted to join the branch, then if I wanted to carry out some training I would have to join BSAC. They sounded really postive about getting a new member who was trained enough to get in the water and had his own equipment.

Then, later the same night I talked to someone else who said that I would have to join BSAC etc before I could even turn up for a dive. To be honest I think I would just need one dive to decide if I wanted to join (unfortunately they have temporarily lost the use of their pool). The training officer wasn't there that day so I mailed him for the official answer and never heard anything back. This has left me feeling a bit uncomfortable about turning up to a meeting without hearing anything back.

Speaking about feeling uncomfortable, just got back from the dentist after having one of my front teeth filled, my top lip feels like I have been turned into Elvis.

Conor once bubbled...
I talked to a few guys last time a met with them and got two very different answers. First I was told that I would be able to do a couple of dives with them and then I would be able to decide if I wanted to join the branch, then if I wanted to carry out some training I would have to join BSAC. They sounded really postive about getting a new member who was trained enough to get in the water and had his own equipment.

Then, later the same night I talked to someone else who said that I would have to join BSAC etc before I could even turn up for a dive. To be honest I think I would just need one dive to decide if I wanted to join (unfortunately they have temporarily lost the use of their pool). The training officer wasn't there that day so I mailed him for the official answer and never heard anything back. This has left me feeling a bit uncomfortable about turning up to a meeting without hearing anything back.

Speaking about feeling uncomfortable, just got back from the dentist after having one of my front teeth filled, my top lip feels like I have been turned into Elvis.

What do you sound like when you try to sing? LOL

Maybe you're on to something.... :D

R..

Well for an official branch dive you would need to be a BSAC member to do it (for insurance and liability reasons).

However i suppose you could buddy up for a non-branch dive to see them in the water - ask them.

Im not 100% sure but im sure there is temporary BSAC membership on a month or something basis which you could try.

If you dont like the club, look for another, there ARE some bad clubs out there that never dive, are a bit cliquey and so on but there are a lot of BSAC clubs about - shop around. Dont sign up for one you dont like or with people you dont like.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I visited the UK and hooked up with a club and wanted to do a weekend with them. Would I be excluded because I didn't live in the UK and have the opportunity to join the BS-AC? Seems to me that this is sort of like same, can Conor see how they do things before he commits? I don't think it sounds like too much money, it sounds to me like he just wants to make sure he isn't wasting it...

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
the NAUI and PADI "Master Diver" courses are very different. As I understand it PADI's class is more of a "how many cardds do you have" now lets get a few dives in...and done.

The NAUI course is a lot differnt....we made about 15 dives and did loads of stuff....night, nav, search and recovery, mapping an u/w area, setting up nav courses for AOW students to follow, reel work, lift work, recue work.....

And as always a lot of it has to do with your instructor too.
Big T dont start a agency debate because i could throw that right back at naui.

not quite what you say it is. in the padi course there is the covering of dive physics and physiology, etiquette and professional standards.

As for skills you have to be able to do a skills circuit at demonstration quality. You have to go through a rescue skills assesment to make sure they are up. Beyond that you still have to do the internship and have the instructor sign off that you completed the requirements to his/hers satisfaction.

So the card collecting and dives bit is a little grossly over stated

Omicron once bubbled...

What class?!

You fill out a form stating what specialties you have. Show your instructor your logbook showing you have the right number of dives. Show your OW, AOW and Rescue cards. Show your $30.

Wam - a new Master Scuba Diver.

It has NOTHING to do with acquiring knowledge.

has nothing to do with acquiring knowledge, then was does the taking of the classes to learn about the various specialtiees mean. Yeah the card may not mean anything but thats a bit of a unfair slam.

that statement would be like Zocrewe post a couple of days ago about the naui TA thing that they just got the card if they did certain things and filled out the necessary paperwork and paid for the card.

Back
Top Bottom