Dive Master... why are instructors pressing for it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFreak:
Sorry Mass i gotta agree with Diver0001 on this one.

I too think your post was extremely negative. Period. So let me respond to your points.

1.) There are lots of divers out there with DM ratings that are rather poor divers
I don't think you'll find anybody to disagree with that point, but there are a tons of qualified people in every field in every job in the world who are not as good as their qualification indicates. Thats something that wont ever change, even in diving.

Remember that up until recently, instructors don't have a great deal of leaway when it comes to certifying divemasters. (Still don't for the other courses..)

It has been a matter of :
Does the student meet the performance requirements? yes/no
Can the student do the skills to demonstration quality? yes/no
Did the student pass all exams? yes/no

The fact that the Divemaster Candidate had a ****ty attitude, was arrogant, and thought he was the best thing since sliced bread could not affect the certification.

Now however, an instructor CAN fail a divemaster candidate on attitude - You have to act professional, dress professional and be able to meet all diving related skills to pass. This might (With some luck) reduce the number of crap divemasters, and restore the reputation of the divemasters who actually know what they're doing.

ScubaFreak:
2.) Anyone with $ and time can buy a divemaster rating - they are for sale to anyone
Also true, so it's up to decent divers and instructors to keep these people to a minimum, why be cynical about it, just accept it and do your part. Half the reason there are so many people like this are because too many of the people that comment on it don't bother doing anything to try and fix it.

Hey, you can buy university degrees these days - Why should diving be different...

Also, remember that you might have a good instructor who is a less than great diver - And you can have great divers who would make crap instructors. Now, I would expect any instructor to have exemplary waterskills - However, you don't need to be a trimix diver to be a good instructor. (And the same goes for Divemasters really - Although I would rather be trained by a recreational instructor who is also a trimix instructor trainer, than the instructor who passed his IE two days ago, and still find it a bit scary to go deeper than 30 meters...)

MASS-Diver:
Sure, it means something if you are on boat with a bunch of vacation divers, but among active, non-tourist divers, being a DM carries no real weight.
I think Matt makes a valid point here, but I'm not sure that it's an important point. DM is, as I understand it, a certification aimed at those who wish to be diving professionals... in other words, people who want to become a part of the dive industry, and help teach, lead, and help other divers for pay (however little). That teaching and helping might include assisting with or teaching classes, giving pre-dive briefings, leading underwater tours, working in any of a number of ways at local shops, etc.

Among divers who dive locally year-round, are very familiar with a wide variety of local dive sites (including a number of them that the average DM isn't qualified to visit), and maintain much of their own gear, there isn't a lot that even a skillful and well-trained DM brings to the table as a result of being a DM unless they are using that professional training in the capacity of being captain or mate of a dive boat. Thus the certification carries little weight among divers who, for all intents and purposes, don't need DMs for anything but working a cash register.

I considered taking a DM class myself, and went to the informational meeting when it kicked off. My impression was that the class would be good preparation for working with recreational divers, but working with them as a professional wasn't something I was particularly interested in. Sure, I could assist with classes for little pay if I was a DM, but I can mentor new divers and give folks tours of sites I know for free without having to take on any liability, pay dues, dress "professionally", or make any time commitment beyond showing up for dives I've planned. Yeah, I miss out on gear discounts, but aside from a boat and a couple of minor modifications I want to make to my drysuit, I have all the equipment I can forsee needing already.

I felt that if I became a professional, I would end up spending a lot more time in the pool and at the super-easy dive sites I've already seen my fill of, and would probably have much less time and money for persuing the kinds of dives I enjoy most. I thought there was a strong likelihood of the same thing happening to me as happened to Jason, and I didn't ever want diving to feel like a chore.
Jason B:
Getting my DM actually took some of the wind out of my sail. Diving wasn't as "fun" anymore.

I still maintain a close relationship with the LDS, occasionally writing articles for them, showing up for the occasional group shore dive, etc. When I do go on those dives though, I often bring my own flag, so my buddy and I can stray well away from the DM's group.

espenskogen:
Now, I would expect any instructor to have exemplary waterskills - However, you don't need to be a trimix diver to be a good instructor. (And the same goes for Divemasters really - Although I would rather be trained by a recreational instructor who is also a trimix instructor trainer, than the instructor who passed his IE two days ago, and still find it a bit scary to go deeper than 30 meters...)
Therein lies the problem ... both with DM's and instructors. People are being pushed into these programs way too fast, and lack the basic skills.

This issue isn't about trimix ... that's a whole 'nother realm of scuba diving. But someone fresh out of Rescue class who's got 20 dives and has just been told by their instructor that they "qualify" to start DM training simply doesn't know (most of the time) what they're buying into.

I've seen DM's who can't manage their own gas supply ... heck, they don't even understand the concept of "turn pressure" because they've never heard it mentioned in any of their three previous classes (OW, AOW, or Rescue). They lack fundamental knowledge ... because that comes, in large part, by logging some actual out-of-the-classroom bottom time.

I know instructors who aren't fazed by going to 120 fsw ... but have absolutely no business being there, much less taking students down that deep. I knew one instructor who went from OW class to passing her IE in three months ... sure, she met all of the "qualifications", but she lacked a basic understanding of scuba diving. As an instructor she had the basic book knowledge ... but as a diver she'd still abandon a dive buddy when she got low on air (just surface without letting her buddy know what she was going to do), and she still had buoyancy control issues. Would you want to take a class from somebody like that? Fortunately, she came to realize it and over time turned into a pretty good diver and instructor ... but it took a couple of years of real-life experience to reach that point.

For the most part ... and there are rare exceptions ... divers have no business becoming DM candidates at 20 dives. They have no business becoming DM's at 60 dives. And they have no business becoming instructors at 100 dives. That's simply not enough experience for the type of responsibility that comes with those positions. Shops push people into these programs for financial reasons ... I've seen shop owners tell a candidate they'd make a great DM, then admit after the person signed up and paid for the class that they wouldn't want to have this person working with their own students. It's a business decision ... not an ethical one.

To anyone thinking to become a DM, I'd urge you to ask yourself some simple questions ...

- Why am I doing this? What do I hope to gain from it?
- Are my motivations really worth the time, money, and effort that I'll put into it?
- Am I comfortable enough with my skills that I'd bet someone else's safety on them?
- Do I really want that kind of responsibility?
- Are my skills adequate to handle a crisis ... like a panicked student diver ... without endangering either myself or the student?

If you're not comfortable with an honest self-assessment in any of those areas, then hold off on signing up for DM class and work on your skills first. That class doesn't teach you scuba skills ... it assumes you already possess them, and focuses instead on how to manage those skills to perform the duties normally associated with divemaster. Don't rush into it. Keep in mind that as soon as you get that DM card, your liability for the safety of others ... even people around you who are not part of your class or group ... has just increased many-fold due to your training and certification level. Make sure you're ready to handle that responsibility before you go there.

Just my 2 psi ... having worked with and around both DM's and instructors who don't have the skills to be either ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow! That was a bit much for one morning.

I started my AOW thru DM after I had already been diving for twenty years from a PADI Course Director in Houston, Texas. I took cave training from the Director of Training at NACD (at the time) in High Springs, Florida. I took mixed gas courses, Nitrox thru Trimix 2, from a NAUI Course Director/Technical Instructor Trainer in San Antonio, Texas. I took the PADI Ice Diver course from a PADI Course Director who wrote a book on Ice Diving in Patagonia. I took External Wreck, Penetration Wreck from a NAUI Technical Instructor Trainer in Key West, Florida. And, I learned boat seamanship for my Master of Inland and Near Coastal of up to 100 Gross Tons with Sailing/Towing Endorsement in Stuart, Florida.

Instruction's there, go for it.

Daniel, I think we can all agree that a DM with qualifications like yours would be a welcome addition to most dives. Way to set the bar high!

espenskogen:
This might (With some luck) reduce the number of crap divemasters, and restore the reputation of the divemasters who actually know what they're doing.

The reputations of divemasters who know what they're doing doesn't need repairing. You can see the hacks coming miles away and I don't think that most good DMs feel the least bit responsible for their lack of professionalism.

Oh.... and the majority of these hacks don't bother ever DM-ing. They try maybe once or twice and get stomped on (if they work with an instructor with anything in house) and then go become an instructor so they can stop getting stomped on. The pis-poor DM's aren't the real danger. It's the pis-poor instructors who took their IDC becausee they couldn't handle learning how to become a good DM that you have to watch out for....

And the world is crawling with them......

R..

countryboy:
If you purchase your insurance through the shop, they *may* limit you to only performing DM activities through them...

ah this is why i have another thread asking where you working divers abroad have purchased your insurance from.

MSilvia:
I felt that if I became a professional, I would end up spending a lot more time in the pool and at the super-easy dive sites I've already seen my fill of, and would probably have much less time and money for persuing the kinds of dives I enjoy most. I thought there was a strong likelihood of the same thing happening to me as happened to Jason, and I didn't ever want diving to feel like a chore.

What happened to Jason wasn't entirely out of his control..... If you have a big enough ego someone is going to butt their head against it.....

You know, Matt, I think you would make a good DM. You're right about spending a lot more time in the pool but you'll be spending much of that time training real beginners. And believe me they need decent roll models to emulate. I really enjoy training new divers and offering something back to a sport I love.

And you would learn a lot too. Every day in the pool you're alert to and dealing with little "problems" and you develop a massive radar for these things and learn how to avoid them manifesting themselves and how to deal with divers under stress. There's a lot to learn in that even if you're already a good diver.

And you get practice dealing with divers in panic. More than you want.

Finally, I work about 70% of the time just in the pool. I'm very picky about which courses I do so I can avoid making 10,000 dives in the same place. I hardly ever do guided dives through the shop. Only on request of students who I've trained with and when they *really* can't find anyone else. Otherwise I'd never find the time for my own diving. Anything is possible but you have to be clear about what the shop can expect from you.

R..

Diver0001:
You know, Matt, I think you would make a good DM.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Maybe it'll be something I'll reconsider down the road.

Diver0001:
What happened to Jason wasn't entirely out of his control..... If you have a big enough ego someone is going to butt their head against it.....

Let me state that what happened to me had nothing to do with butting heads or ego. And as you stated, it was in my control and I took control. I got out of the DM game. I didn't like the legal ramifications hanging over my head that was placed on my shoulders as a DM.
The instructor I DM'ed with has tried to get me to re-instate my DM status but as I said earlier, I'm having too much fun now as a plain ole diver.

Now go have some fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom