Dive Master... why are instructors pressing for it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't read this whole thread but here is my two cents.

I was a happy, active, basic open water diver for nearly 15 years. From there i went on to DM in a little over a year. Primarily because a group of friends were doing it to support a new dive store that another friend was starting up. Along the way i found out (quite by accident) how gratifying it could be to help other divers, new & old, enjoy the sport. So i went on to become an instructor as an extension of that.

Like every job, DM/Instructor has its ups and downs. The biggest downers in my mind are the potential liability issues and the rising costs just to keep teaching. And I would be lying if i said i never called a dive because i didn't want to be in the water with someone(s) who looked like an accident waiting to happen and would not listen to reason. However, i rarely thought that way before becoming a DM. So that knife can cut both ways.

The biggest upper is the satisfaction any teacher feels when they see their student "get it". Anyone who has ever taught anything, understands what I'm saying. It's hard to describe but it is a great feeling.

So to answer the original question, i ask students, who i feel have the experience and temperament needed for the job, to consider going on to DM so they might experience that same feeling and pass it on to improve the sport. It sure as heck isn't because I'm looking for tank monkeys. I haven't met a DMC yet who could out "tank monkey" me. They will however be expected to carry more than their own weight just like i expect from myself. IMO, that is a basic part of being a good DM/Instructor.

Not every Instructor has nefarious reasons for asking the question. In fact, in my experience, it's quite the opposite.

I've brought up this question before regarding this subject I believe but I'll say it again. I have never seen "many" or "most" divemasters and instructors that can't even dive. I don't dive often with shops but when I was around a resort and saw a bunch of divers underwater at a site, I could pick out the DM or Inst. by watching how they were in the water most times. I've spent all my diving time only in the tropics and in resort areas all the DM and Inst candidates were hanging out for months or longer and diving pretty much every day, which does give one time to practice skills. Is this "bad DM" thing more a quarry trained DM problem? Honestly, I just haven't seen it in the tropics. (And I am NOT saying that tropical divers are better....but maybe they get more time in the water while they're being trained ???)

Hank49:
I have never seen "many" or "most" divemasters and instructors that can't even dive.
These are not just DM's, they are working DM's. I'd bet that they make up less than 15% of divers who have taken the course. Taking the course may get you the card, but it's no assurance you'll be working.

The shop through which I got certified saw my initial enthusiasm and pretty much figured I'd do the DM course, and initially I thought I'd do it this year. I will probably still do it eventually. For one thing, I remember the kindness and patience that the DMs showed me during my OW class when I was slow to catch on, and it would be fun to play that role myself. For another thing, I've enjoyed taking a couple of newly certified divers out and playing "big buddy" for them. And there are also skills involved in the DM course that I think would benefit me -- mapping, for example, to help improve my navigational ability.

But being exposed to people like NW Grateful Diver, and my GUE instructor, has shown me how little I know and how embryonic my diving skills really are, and the reading I've done has given me a better picture of how many different things can happen underwater and how important confidence and comfort are in handling mishaps. I figure I need at least a year's more diving at my current rate (probably going to hit 150 for the first year) to even BEGIN to have enough experience to have any business helping other people. Then we'll see.

dherbman:
These are not just DM's, they are working DM's. I'd bet that they make up less than 15% of divers who have taken the course. Taking the course may get you the card, but it's no assurance you'll be working.

That's true. I hadn't thought of that.

Many new DM's think the card is a guarantee of work. I actually look at those taking the course as though they are applying for a job. If they work well with people and have the skills required then I'll put them to work. If not, then they've got a lovely card :)

Many new DM's think the card is a guarantee of work. I actually look at those taking the course as though they are applying for a job. If they work well with people and have the skills required then I'll put them to work. If not, then they've got a lovely card

That's how my LDS is also. We actually got told as much at one point recently during DM training.

Partly what makes our group so great (brag brag) is retention. It's the same group of AIs and instructors who've been at this a long time, and it's really like family. You only get accepted into the group if you're really good. Plus, they are just terrific guys and gals who will help you but (this is an important flip side) will also just ride your butt if they see you doing something improperly.

I'm really proud of our group. I would hazard to say we are probably some of the best trained divers in the mid-South, and working on turning out more.

The same article also admits that the dumbing down of the classes has begun to take effect. Divers who have been getting Open Water certfied by SSI, PADI and others are not comfortable in the water... so they aren't being retained.

Story I heard is that since '01, a lot fewer people have been in the mood to travel internationally.

Back
Top Bottom