Dive Op recommendation in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed in West End for almost two weeks in May, I dove with Native Sons and they were fine, they weren't willing to take me to any of the sites I wanted to see though (Bear's Den, Texas, etc.) and when they started going to the same sites I had already been to (understandable, seems to be on a one week rotation) and they always seemed to rush along the reef, it seemed like a race and after the dive they never seemed too interested in going over the things we saw or talking about the dive. I like to dawdle and look for the small stuff, appreciate as much as I can and not swim 15-20 feet above the reef and float past all the details. So....they DID bring in another DM who stayed behind with my buddy and I while we dawdled which was amazing BUT they still weren't taking me to the sites I really wanted to see.
So, long story short, I started shopping around at the other shops. I walked around to several of them and didn't really get a good vibe from them until I walked in to Reef Gliders.....they are outstanding. They LOVE to dawdle and find the little critters, they are FUN, they are very professional but love to have a GREAT time. Oh yeah, and they took me to Texas AND Bear's Den within two days. Make sure to dive with Mickey (he wrote and took the photos for the Caribbean Reef Life book for the Bay Islands Caribbean Reef Life - Caribbean Reef Life - a field guide for Caribbean diving and fish identification so he KNOWS his stuff) and they will talk about the things they see with anyone who is interested.....they are so passionate! I asked specifically to see certain things (blennies, slugs, etc...) and they had a great time finding them and pointing them all out to me and teaching me where to find them next time (which I did successfully).
So.......go check out Reef Gliders.......I wish I had spent my whole vacation diving with them....

Another not so positive note about Native Sons for those considering them...

My dive buddy and I are visiting Roatan in the spring and I was in talks with them and had confirmed we wished to book for two weeks of solid diving (40 dives each). We were waiting on confirmation on some special pricing for nitrox (they don't have it there but were able to get it off site) and meanwhile the owner advised that they had booked out the boat full to a group in the for one of our weeks but we were welcome to use them still for the remaining one? Huh?! No thanks, if that's how you treat potential customers! Our business and tips will go elsewhere not to mention word of mouth to all the other amazing PNW divers heading on vacation to the area that don't need babysitting. We would have been an easy pair to dive with. Their loss. Booking that boat full to the group at one shot was more important to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added December 19th, 2014 at 04:35 PM ----------

PS we ended up booking with Roatan Divers, new owners in the last couple of years and newly have nitrox at only $3 extra a tank. Will keep you posted on how our vacation goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stayed in West End for almost two weeks in May, I dove with Native Sons and they were fine, they weren't willing to take me to any of the sites I wanted to see though (Bear's Den, Texas, etc.) and when they started going to the same sites I had already been to (understandable, seems to be on a one week rotation) and they always seemed to rush along the reef, it seemed like a race and after the dive they never seemed too interested in going over the things we saw or talking about the dive. I like to dawdle and look for the small stuff, appreciate as much as I can and not swim 15-20 feet above the reef and float past all the details. So....they DID bring in another DM who stayed behind with my buddy and I while we dawdled which was amazing BUT they still weren't taking me to the sites I really wanted to see.
So, long story short, I started shopping around at the other shops. I walked around to several of them and didn't really get a good vibe from them until I walked in to Reef Gliders.....they are outstanding. They LOVE to dawdle and find the little critters, they are FUN, they are very professional but love to have a GREAT time. Oh yeah, and they took me to Texas AND Bear's Den within two days. Make sure to dive with Mickey (he wrote and took the photos for the Caribbean Reef Life book for the Bay Islands Caribbean Reef Life - Caribbean Reef Life - a field guide for Caribbean diving and fish identification so he KNOWS his stuff) and they will talk about the things they see with anyone who is interested.....they are so passionate! I asked specifically to see certain things (blennies, slugs, etc...) and they had a great time finding them and pointing them all out to me and teaching me where to find them next time (which I did successfully).
So.......go check out Reef Gliders.......I wish I had spent my whole vacation diving with them....

I have done three separate weeks with Reef Gliders over the past few years and it has always been great. As stated above they do their best to give you the dives you want at the pace you want. Mickey was a wonderful addition to the team with his expert knowledge of the underwater
environs and creatures. I look forward to my next visit and a cool Tucher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom