Dive operator age limits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABay Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just received first quarter issue of Alert Diver and there was a letter to the editor about some dive operators refusing to allow divers over 70 years of age on their boat! Is this something new, anybody else heard about this kind of thing?

I'm 82. I encounter all sorts of age discrimination, dive boats included. I call ahead, am frequently turned down. And it's impossible to rent a car outside the US. I have to get my significant other (63) to rent the vehicle, and I quickly drive away. I can drive a stick shift on the left, she would rather not.

I'm 82. I encounter all sorts of age discrimination, dive boats included. I call ahead, am frequently turned down. And it's impossible to rent a car outside the US. I have to get my significant other (63) to rent the vehicle, and I quickly drive away. I can drive a stick shift on the left, she would rather not.
Interesting. I'm also 82, have not been turned away from a dive boat anywhere. Just returned from 10 days on a boat in Thailand.

Interesting. I'm also 82, have not been turned away from a dive boat anywhere. Just returned from 10 days on a boat in Thailand.
I've been turned down cold by two operations in Florida. Some others asked for medical documentation. This started when I was in my 70s. I now tend to go where I've been before. No hassles that way. My last trip in the Caribbean the DM assigned a young employee to swim right alongside me. I felt singled out, like a specimen under glass. My biggest complaint is car rentals in the islands. They have a minimum and maximum age, and no fooling around.

I've been turned down cold by two operations in Florida. Some others asked for medical documentation. This started when I was in my 70s. I now tend to go where I've been before. No hassles that way. My last trip in the Caribbean the DM assigned a young employee to swim right alongside me. I felt singled out, like a specimen under glass. My biggest complaint is car rentals in the islands. They have a minimum and maximum age, and no fooling around.
I'm often asked for a medical release, for example in the Caymans. I just provide it; I keep one that is up-to-date.
The only cars I rent out of the US are in Bonaire, and those i get from Buddy Dive, as a guest there.. No issues. Haven't tried elsewhere.

Whats the nature of your release? Signed by a physician or just a questionnaire signed by you saying no issues?

Whats the nature of your release? Signed by a physician or just a questionnaire signed by you saying no issues?
It is the standard RSTC questionnaire, with issues checked, and page 3 signed by my PCP.I get a physical anyway every year, he signs it every year. Every 2-3 years he has me do a an exercise/METS test on an inclined treadmill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom