Dive operators in Grand Cayman??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvspoodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. My husband and I are leaving for the Grand Cayman in a few days and cannot decide on a dive operator. We are thinking Red Sail Sports but they are kind of large and we don't want to get lost in the crowd. I would like someone with big boats as I tend to get sick. Please help! Our time is running out!

Try checking out Divetech in west bay by the Cobalt coast or by the turtle farm, nice boats,nice people.You wont get lost in a crowd of people.Turtle gal

luvspoodles:
I would like someone with big boats as I tend to get sick. !

The west end of GC isn't actually on an Ocean. It is more like a big calm SW lake. I don't think you will have to worry about sea sickness.

enjoy

If you are concerned with seasickness, then you will find the calmest water on the west side along Seven Mile Beach.

Most of the boats that Red Sail use along the west side are styled like pontoon boats. Those do quite well for minimizing motion in the light chop along that side.

The boats which Red Sail sends out to the North Wall are styled differently. The hull is more suitable for the rougher seas which can occasionally be found along the North Wall. While those boats do cut through the waves quite well, they rock and roll a bit more when sitting at the mooring in chop. Those boats are much like those we use on the East End where I work for Tortuga Divers, a Red Sail operation.

The good news is that, on average, summer brings calmer seas.

Hope that helps. Where are you staying?

luvspoodles:
Hello. My husband and I are leaving for the Grand Cayman in a few days and cannot decide on a dive operator. We are thinking Red Sail Sports but they are kind of large and we don't want to get lost in the crowd. I would like someone with big boats as I tend to get sick. Please help! Our time is running out!

You might like to know that Red Sail is the contract operator for Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and the Disney Cruise lines. On the west end they do use larger boats and that means there is the potential for larger groups.

Have a great time who ever you dive with.

diveborg:
You might like to know that Red Sail is the contract operator for Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and the Disney Cruise lines. On the west end they do use larger boats and that means there is the potential for larger groups.
The capacity of Red Sal's west side boats maxes out at 24 divers. Whether that's larger or smaller than anyone expects is to left to the individual to weigh.

As to those interested in the cruse ship schedule, I always recommend checking at www.caymanport.com for the arrivals scheduled during your stay. Since today was a Disney day, the next one won't occur for two more weeks. Looks like a total of three ships from Royal Caribbean for the next week (one each Tue, Wed, & Thurs) and none from Norwegian.

Thank you for your help. We have decided to go with Divers Down. I like the fact that they have small groups of people, and they seemed very kind on the phone. We are going to stay on the west end and go to the north if my seasickness is okay. We are staying at the Turtle Nest Inn. Thank you for your time.

luvspoodles:
Thank you for your help. We have decided to go with Divers Down. I like the fact that they have small groups of people, and they seemed very kind on the phone. We are going to stay on the west end and go to the north if my seasickness is okay. We are staying at the Turtle Nest Inn. Thank you for your time.

HEY! NO WAY! My fiance and I are staying at Turtle Nest Inn too in October! Cool! Let me know how you like Divers Down, I will be diving the east end I think.

When I was in Grand Cayman, we used several dive shops....Try Ocean Frontiers....They are right down the road ( they will pick you up in a van) from the Turtle Nest Inn and are a top notch dive operation. I have also used Red Sail Sports-they are OK but don't go on a day when the cruise ships are in town.
By the way, the Turtle Nest Inn is awesome....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom