Dive Ops using larger tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1gromit

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

I'm planning a last minute trip, prob head down this next weekend.

Which dive ops in Coz are diving the steel 120's (or other larger tanks?)

I know Aldora does. Anyone else?

Thanks!

Living Underwater and Liquid Blue. LU uses low pressure steel 95s and 120s. Liquid Blue uses steel 100s and 120s, but I don't remember if they are LP or HP. Both are great dive ops. They're priced about the same at around $85 for a 2-tank trip.

I'm diving with Living Underwater Tues-Sun this week, so, maybe we'll see you on the boat.

Hey all,

Thanks for the info on LU and LB.

Do those two also manage your gear for you like Aldora does? (that is, when I dove Aldora, they kept and rinsed my gear after each dive, then when I got back onto the the boat, gear was all setup for me).

1gromit:
Hey all,

Thanks for the info on LU and LB.

Do those two also manage your gear for you like Aldora does? (that is, when I dove Aldora, they kept and rinsed my gear after each dive, then when I got back onto the the boat, gear was all setup for me).

Living Underwater and Liquid Blue will both handle all your dive gear. Rinse it, lock it up and have it all assembled when you step on the boat.

I know that Blue XT Sea also offers this same service. As far larger tanks if these ops are booked you can request AL 100's at about $5 to $10 more from most other dive operations.

I believe that Living Underwater is the only one of these three companies that will also take and rinse your wetsuit. And given how much neoprene I wear, that quite literally a load off my back!:D

Jim Baldwin:
Living Underwater and Liquid Blue will both handle all your dive gear. Rinse it, lock it up and have it all assembled when you step on the boat.

I know that Blue XT Sea also offers this same service.

Christi at Blue XT Sea can supply you with larger tanks. They are $5.00 more per tank. All you need do is ask and she can supply them. She runs a great operation, with small fast boats.

As a side note....having dove with both the Steel 120 and the AL 100's tanks, The Steel are much better for buoyancy control than AL which become positive as the dive progresses. You need much less lead to dive with ST than with AL

Hi all,

Great information, thanks!

And ya, I continue to hear only good things about Christi's operation.

The thing is, I don't think it works for me to rent a larger tank when the rest of the boat is on AL80's. I do well on air already; I just want to maximize bottom time. For several years I dove with with the larger ops, mostly Dive House and Scuba Du. The problem was, the dives were often lasting say, 40 to 50 mins, and I was often required to come up with 1200 plus PSI. (Must give props here to Dive House, tho - last time I dove with them they let me continue uw with the DM for five or so mins after everyone else came up. Very cool of a big outfit to do that!)

Anyway, last May when I tried Aldora. With everyone was using the Steel 120's, I was able to routinely get in 70 minute dives - which is soooo cool in Coz because we were often able to traverse multiple reefs.

So, really I'm just looking for outfits where everyone is using larger tanks, and the entire boat is down over 60 mins. So far it seems to be Aldora, Liquid Blue, and Living Underwater. I had an excellent experience with Aldora, but I still want to try another op to understand the differences. Like many of you, I'm becoming a Coz regular, and I want to settle in on the places (hotels, ops, restaurants) that I most prefer (within my price range, at least!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom