Dive Report, Hydro, etc...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How was Captain Paul's boat as far the set-up, tank storage, boarding, etc.??

He's kinda new around here but I like the idea of three six-pack boats working in the area.

Hummm... how shall I say... Very nice guy!

The boat is, well, it reminded me of my LDS work area. Things are scattered here and there in what appears to be a random mess, but the shop owner knows exactly where everything is. The atmosphere was very casual, so the other divers just put stuff where they wanted. Some wires hang down from the roof.

Tanks are bungeed in above the seats, just like any other boat.

Boarding was, well... difficult. He backed the stern into a narrow 4' space between some jet skis (it was at the jet ski rental area), with a 4' drop from the dock to the side of the boat. So i couldn't walk my doubles on, they had to be hauled down the drop by handing them off... and then the reverse after docking.

However, that said, I would go with back Capt. Paul in a heartbeat! He really IS a nice guy, very passionate about diving (spear fishing!), and knows his water. Being on his boat was like going out on a boat with some friends who all know each other, but the friends happily including you in the fun with them. Capt. Paul will let you dive your dive - he isn't there to babysit you, but to get you to the site and assist your dive, which is how I like it. I have a feeling that if you told him you'd like to make a 300' bounce dive on air and then have him take you right to the chamber, he just say, "OK, but you'll have to drop down last so these other guys get a chance to shoot some fish first."

As to the difficulty of loading, in his defense, he did all the work for me, wouldn't let me haul my doubles up that 4' ledge, and then wouldn't give the kit back when I asked, but humped them for me all the way to my car.

If I lived here, I would try to cultivate a relationship with this guy for regular diving all the time. I really prefer a rougher, edgier, more casual operation that feels like your diving with divers, not Dive Service Industry Employees. But if the AOW vacation divers from Minnesota were out here to see the reefs, I'd take 'em on the pink S. FL Divers pontoon boat.

Here's some pics:

Howard getting ready for our dives.

Before diving the Hydro.

Bull shark circles us during deco.

How I spend my first waking moments every morning.
(This is the beach 30 steps outside our condo door in Hollywood Beach.)

Priscilla doing what she loves to do on vacation: NOTHING! :D

Our condo from 100 yards out looking back.

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us!!

The Charter Service that Rick is talking about is "Varian" Charters and I would have to agree that this guy is very laid back and someone, if I lived there, I would be a regular on his boat. He is not a cattle truck/boat with lots of recreational divers. He is a charter boat Captain not a babysitter and lets you decide your own fate. He was the only charter that I used in 3 days that did not change from a deeper wreck to a reef when he found out he could get more business.
I had the misfortune to schedule my dives with SL Florida which dispatches 4 different charters and either had them cancelled or rerouted to a reef because at the last minute some recreational divers who hadn't dove for 5 years wants to go.
I don't mind reef diving but when I am carrying doubles with Trimix and stages I kind of feel like a Maitre'd at McDonalds.

Went diving with HowardE today. The goal was for for him to teach me all about Florida Spear fishing.
The blind leading the lame :wink:

The blind leading the lame :wink:
Sounds like a man who speaks from experience. :eyebrow:

Sounds like a man who speaks from experience. :eyebrow:

LOL

I didn't do any spearfishing though. I did capture video parts of Onespeed's killing spree.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom